Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Is my battery charger knackered?

I have a car battery charger with high/ low switch and 4 LED's: 2,4,6,8 amp.etc
I did something wrong connecting +ve to -ve or something, not really sure what.
I would have expected the fuse to blow but what happens when it is switched on is all of the LED's come on . It is not connected to the battery.

What is it doing? is it kaput or can I rescue it?

Thanks

Brendan.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/06/16 23:21, Rednadnerb wrote:
I have a car battery charger with high/ low switch and 4 LED's: 2,4,6,8 amp.etc
I did something wrong connecting +ve to -ve or something, not really sure what.
I would have expected the fuse to blow but what happens when it is switched on is all of the LED's come on . It is not connected to the battery.

What is it doing? is it kaput or can I rescue it?

suspect rectifier has blown

probably not worth fixing

Thanks

Brendan.

--
How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think.

Adolf Hitler

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Rednadnerb wrote:
I have a car battery charger with high/ low switch and 4 LED's: 2,4,6,8
amp.etc I did something wrong connecting +ve to -ve or something, not
really sure what. I would have expected the fuse to blow but what
happens when it is switched on is all of the LED's come on . It is not
connected to the battery.

What is it doing? is it kaput or can I rescue it?

It would have to be a pretty cheap and nasty one if reverse connection
damaged it. They usually have a relay pulled in by battery volts via a
diode, so no connection to the bits that would be damaged by reverse
polarity if you try it.

--
*Until I was thirteen, I thought my name was SHUT UP .

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 20 June 2016 23:21:10 UTC+1, Rednadnerb wrote:
I have a car battery charger with high/ low switch and 4 LED's: 2,4,6,8 amp.etc

What is it doing? is it kaput or can I rescue it?

the only way to know is to try it

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The answer really depends on how it is made, and there are many ways to
build battery chargers of course. I'd say the most likely is a rectifier
death, but it might just be the led meter assembly, you really need a
multimeter to see what is coming out and what it does when loaded to figure
this out.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
On 20/06/16 23:21, Rednadnerb wrote:
I have a car battery charger with high/ low switch and 4 LED's: 2,4,6,8
amp.etc
I did something wrong connecting +ve to -ve or something, not really sure
what.
I would have expected the fuse to blow but what happens when it is
switched on is all of the LED's come on . It is not connected to the
battery.

What is it doing? is it kaput or can I rescue it?

suspect rectifier has blown

probably not worth fixing

Thanks

Brendan.

--
How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think.

Adolf Hitler

Posted to uk.d-i-y

It sounds like the LED's show the voltage across a current sensing resistor.
If too much current was taken owing to reversed connection, and the resistor
has blown open-circuit, then all LED's may well come on because of the small
internal current taken by the charger itself.
--
Dave W

On 20/06/16 23:21, Rednadnerb wrote:
I have a car battery charger with high/ low switch and 4 LED's: 2,4,6,8
amp.etc
I did something wrong connecting +ve to -ve or something, not really sure
what.
I would have expected the fuse to blow but what happens when it is
switched on is all of the LED's come on . It is not connected to the
battery.

What is it doing? is it kaput or can I rescue it?

suspect rectifier has blown

probably not worth fixing

Thanks

Brendan.

--
How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think.

Adolf Hitler

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I have used the multimeter on it under load and it registers nothing. So I guess that's it then.

Thanks to all.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/06/16 19:32, Rednadnerb wrote:
I have used the multimeter on it under load and it registers nothing. So I guess that's it then.

Thanks to all.

Unless you want to get out a soldering iron and a screwdriver...

Mmm

--
€œIt is hard to imagine a more stupid decision or more dangerous way of
who pay no price for being wrong.€

Thomas Sowell

battery charger Karl Townsend Metalworking 3 April 16th 13 11:55 PM
Car battery charger [email protected] UK diy 52 March 3rd 12 11:49 PM
Knackered Drill Battery Question Tinkerer[_2_] UK diy 14 October 30th 11 07:42 PM
Battery charger Jake[_5_] UK diy 9 February 27th 11 11:50 PM
Leave an unplugged battery charger connected to lead-acid battery? BetaB4 Home Repair 30 May 24th 09 12:33 AM