Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

Default ? regarding LED floodlamp with PIR

Just a cheapo off ebay but has worked fine for last 2 years. A few
nights back it stopped working, on investigation I noticed the PIR had
some water in it, apart from the perspex window the only other place
water could have entered was from the bottom panel that is screwed on,
but that would defy gravity.

1. Is it possible that the water was a build up of condensation, the PIR
is located above the flood.
2. I drained the PIR and left open for a couple of days to dry it out
and is now working again.
3. Would the PIR benefit from a couple of `pin holes` drilled in the
underside To aid drainage and prevent condensation.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ss a écrit :
Just a cheapo off ebay but has worked fine for last 2 years. A few nights
back it stopped working, on investigation I noticed the PIR had some water in
it, apart from the perspex window the only other place water could have
entered was from the bottom panel that is screwed on, but that would defy
gravity.

1. Is it possible that the water was a build up of condensation, the PIR is
located above the flood.
2. I drained the PIR and left open for a couple of days to dry it out and is
now working again.
3. Would the PIR benefit from a couple of `pin holes` drilled in the
underside To aid drainage and prevent condensation.

I always drill drainage holes in anything supposedly water tight. They
are often water tight as in holding water in.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 20 Jun 2016 20:25:50 +0100, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

ss a écrit :
Just a cheapo off ebay but has worked fine for last 2 years. A few
nights back it stopped working, on investigation I noticed the PIR had
some water in it, apart from the perspex window the only other place
water could have entered was from the bottom panel that is screwed on,
but that would defy gravity.

1. Is it possible that the water was a build up of condensation, the
PIR is located above the flood.
2. I drained the PIR and left open for a couple of days to dry it out
and is now working again.
3. Would the PIR benefit from a couple of `pin holes` drilled in the
underside To aid drainage and prevent condensation.

I always drill drainage holes in anything supposedly water tight. They
are often water tight as in holding water in.

Is exactly the right answer! Water vapour is a gas which can get past
waterproofing and then condense inside when the temperature drops
overnight. The waterproofing then acts as a barrier to the exit of this
inexorable build up of condensate which eventually causes corrosion,
often accelerated when it provides leakage paths within electrical
circuits carrying DC voltages.

It's far better to provide free ventilation than to attempt a gas-tight
enclosure (unless the unit is intended to be permanently submerged under
water). The trick is to arrange that any such ventilation holes or slots
don't provide easy access of moisture via precipitation of the horizontal
kind. :-)

--
Johnny B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/06/2016 20:16, ss wrote:

3. Would the PIR benefit from a couple of `pin holes` drilled in the
underside To aid drainage and prevent condensation.

Not pin holes. They won't help at all. 7mm holes. This happens a lot
with CCTV housings. Put a ring of grease around the holes on the outside
to stop creepy crawlies.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
I always drill drainage holes in anything supposedly water tight.

I hope you were never an engineer in submarines! :-)

Alan

--

Using an ARMX6
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 6/21/2016 2:09 AM, Bill Wright wrote:
On 20/06/2016 20:16, ss wrote:

3. Would the PIR benefit from a couple of `pin holes` drilled in the
underside To aid drainage and prevent condensation.

Not pin holes. They won't help at all. 7mm holes. This happens a lot
with CCTV housings. Put a ring of grease around the holes on the outside
to stop creepy crawlies.

Bill

+1 (I tend to use 5 or 6 mm).

Grease won't stop everything getting in. I have wondered at times about
putting a little roll of cotton fabric through the hole as a sort of
wick plus evaporator (but I have never done it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Alan Dawes wrote:
In article ,
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
I always drill drainage holes in anything supposedly water tight.

I hope you were never an engineer in submarines! :-)

;-)

--
*Half the people in the world are below average.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.