Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Where do I get the code for a car radio from?

I bought a car radio from a car boot and didn't get the code. Is it a fiver in the bin or can I get it from somewhere?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Weatherlawyer" wrote in message
I bought a car radio from a car boot and didn't get the code. Is it a fiver
in the bin or can I get it from somewhere?

Try uk.rec.cars.maintenance

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/06/2016 16:28, Weatherlawyer wrote:
I bought a car radio from a car boot and didn't get the code. Is it a fiver in the bin or can I get it from somewhere?

It will be recorded by the dealer who supplied the car to which it was
fitted, when the car was new.

Your chances of tracing that are very slight!

I suppose you can go through all the 4-digit (or whatever) codes until
you find one which works - but that could take a *long* time. Many
radios make you wait for progressively longer times between attempts if
you keep getting the code wrong.

ISTR something about putting the radio in the freezer to make it
"forget" its code - but I've no idea whether that works.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/06/2016 16:28, Weatherlawyer wrote:
I bought a car radio from a car boot and didn't get the code. Is it a fiver in the bin or can I get it from somewhere?

The make and model would be a help.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 6/19/2016 5:06 PM, Fredxxx wrote:
On 19/06/2016 16:28, Weatherlawyer wrote:
I bought a car radio from a car boot and didn't get the code. Is it a
fiver in the bin or can I get it from somewhere?

The make and model would be a help.

+1.

Also many options on eBay, I used one once (£2 iirc).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

bm wrote:
"Weatherlawyer" wrote in message
I bought a car radio from a car boot and didn't get the code. Is it
a fiver in the bin or can I get it from somewhere?

Try uk.rec.cars.maintenance

Is the correct answer.
Give full details as best as you can.
Mr Cheerful will most likely sort you out.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
jim jim is offline

On Sunday, June 19, 2016 at 4:29:00 PM UTC+1, Weatherlawyer wrote:
I bought a car radio from a car boot and didn't get the code. Is it a fiver in the bin or can I get it from somewhere?

SFAIUI if it is a Ford car & radio then Ford garages have the kit to do this. If other make try the respective garage.

good luck!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 19 June 2016 17:06:35 UTC+1, Fredxxx wrote:
On 19/06/2016 16:28, Weatherlawyer wrote:
I bought a car radio from a car boot and didn't get the code. Is it a fiver in the bin or can I get it from somewhere?

The make and model would be a help.

Sorry about that I forgot. It just says Goodmans and compact disc player
Model No. GCE 7109 CD
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Weatherlawyer wrote:

GCE 7109 CD

The manual makes no mention of codes, I'd only expect them with a
factory fitted radio

http://www.manuals365.com/pdffile_dl.php?brand=Goodmans&lang=&cat=&doc=GCE71 09CD.pdf

But it does have a helpline phone number.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/06/2016 19:06, Andy Burns wrote:
Weatherlawyer wrote:

GCE 7109 CD

The manual makes no mention of codes, I'd only expect them with a
factory fitted radio

http://www.manuals365.com/pdffile_dl.php?brand=Goodmans&lang=&cat=&doc=GCE71 09CD.pdf

Which strangely doesn't mention any entering of a security code when
installing the player.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Mr Pounder Esquire
writes
bm wrote:
"Weatherlawyer" wrote in message
I bought a car radio from a car boot and didn't get the code. Is it
a fiver in the bin or can I get it from somewhere?

Try uk.rec.cars.maintenance

Is the correct answer.
Give full details as best as you can.
Mr Cheerful will most likely sort you out.

He certainly seems to have a high success rate with his crystal ball for
radio codes. Further discussion is pointless until the OP has asked
there.

--
Ian