Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Access to BS docs

I was rather disappointed the other day to find out that Essex libraries
have stopped subscribing to the BSOL web site for BS documents.

Hence no ability to get easy access to copies of standards any more.

Anyone know of another source?

Is the BSOL site still using silverlight?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/06/2016 22:09, John Rumm wrote:
I was rather disappointed the other day to find out that Essex libraries
have stopped subscribing to the BSOL web site for BS documents.

Hence no ability to get easy access to copies of standards any more.

Anyone know of another source?

Is the BSOL site still using silverlight?

You used to be able to create an online account with Lancashire Library
without needing to live in Lancashire. They provided access to British
Standards, etc. I haven't used it for a while, so don't know whether
anything has changed.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

I was rather disappointed the other day to find out that Essex libraries
have stopped subscribing to the BSOL web site for BS documents.

Hence no ability to get easy access to copies of standards any more.
Anyone know of another source?

Manchester Central Library (they'll let you join regardless of where you
live)

Is the BSOL site still using silverlight?

No thank god, it seems like a HTML5 based PDF renderer now, works in
Firefox, downloading the actual PDF isn't enabled.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/06/2016 22:34, Andy Burns wrote:
John Rumm wrote:

I was rather disappointed the other day to find out that Essex libraries
have stopped subscribing to the BSOL web site for BS documents.

Hence no ability to get easy access to copies of standards any more.
Anyone know of another source?

Manchester Central Library (they'll let you join regardless of where you
live)

Yup, that seems to work, and you don't even need a library card. Thanks.

Is the BSOL site still using silverlight?

No thank god, it seems like a HTML5 based PDF renderer now, works in
Firefox, downloading the actual PDF isn't enabled.

Just trying to work out if the PDF is rendered server side or client side...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

I was rather disappointed the other day to find out that Essex libraries
have stopped subscribing to the BSOL web site for BS documents.

Hence no ability to get easy access to copies of standards any more.
Anyone know of another source?

Manchester Central Library (they'll let you join regardless of where you
live)

Yup, that seems to work, and you don't even need a library card. Thanks.

Is the BSOL site still using silverlight?

No thank god, it seems like a HTML5 based PDF renderer now, works in
Firefox, downloading the actual PDF isn't enabled.

Just trying to work out if the PDF is rendered server side or client
side...

ok, sussed it. Client side, but then rendered in a JS document viewer,
with the content streamed into it rather than downloaded in the
traditional sense. So downloading the PDF may not be enabled, but that
can be worked around ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

[...]

Sounds good John
Hope you will post the solution to this one
Phil
--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

[...]

Sure, anyone who needs it, drop me an email (to save over exposing it)

--
Cheers,

John.