Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Pre-Gassed Easy Fit Split System Air Con

Can anyone make a recommendation or otherwise for a diy install split
system air conditioning system?

Sold by several web-sites as pre-gassed and "easy to install", I'm
tempted to give it a go, but I'm a bit worried they're being oversold.

In particular, if they're pre-gassed and I bodge up the install - how do
I (even can I) get them re-gassed?

Thanks
Posted to uk.d-i-y

WeeBob wrote:
Can anyone make a recommendation or otherwise for a diy install split
system air conditioning system?

Sold by several web-sites as pre-gassed and "easy to install", I'm
tempted to give it a go, but I'm a bit worried they're being oversold.

In particular, if they're pre-gassed and I bodge up the install - how do
I (even can I) get them re-gassed?

Thanks

You still need to hire a vacuum pump to purge the system and insurers
are starting to get problematic over diy installs of pressurised item

When I looked into it last year, it was cheaper to get the installation
included in the purchase as that qualified for 5% vat (being a heat
pump) compared to 20% vat and hire of the vacuum pump.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

WeeBob wrote:
Can anyone make a recommendation or otherwise for a diy install split
system air conditioning system?

Sold by several web-sites as pre-gassed and "easy to install", I'm
tempted to give it a go, but I'm a bit worried they're being oversold.

In particular, if they're pre-gassed and I bodge up the install - how
do I (even can I) get them re-gassed?

Thanks

I've installed 3 systems so far. Oldest one was about 6 years
ago. No problems with installation, no need to vacuum out the system
either/ However, the pipework as suppled is IME too long but tricky to
reduce, so you end up with a few pipe loops which you need to box in.
Regassing AIUI, after 10yrs, needs an aircon man with a van.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 8 Jun 2016 17:57:31 +0100, Bob Minchin
wrote:

You still need to hire a vacuum pump to purge the system

I've not seen any meant for DIY with snap couplings and
pre-pressurised which needed a vacuum pump or purging.

and insurers
are starting to get problematic over diy installs of pressurised item

Unless they have asked you a specific question about air conditioning
installations they have nothing they can get problematical about
thanks to the Consumer Insurance (Disclosure and Representations) Act
2012

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Minchin wrote:
WeeBob wrote:
Can anyone make a recommendation or otherwise for a diy install split
system air conditioning system?

Sold by several web-sites as pre-gassed and "easy to install", I'm
tempted to give it a go, but I'm a bit worried they're being oversold.

In particular, if they're pre-gassed and I bodge up the install - how do
I (even can I) get them re-gassed?

Thanks

You still need to hire a vacuum pump to purge the system and insurers
are starting to get problematic over diy installs of pressurised item

When I looked into it last year, it was cheaper to get the installation
included in the purchase as that qualified for 5% vat (being a heat
pump) compared to 20% vat and hire of the vacuum pump.

You do not need a vacuum pump to install them,you only need to purge the
short pipes between the units and there is enough gas in them to do this.
You just leave one end of the pipe cracked let a bit of gas through then
close the flair fitting.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/06/2016 17:42, WeeBob wrote:
Can anyone make a recommendation or otherwise for a diy install split
system air conditioning system?

Sold by several web-sites as pre-gassed and "easy to install", I'm
tempted to give it a go, but I'm a bit worried they're being oversold.

In particular, if they're pre-gassed and I bodge up the install - how do
I (even can I) get them re-gassed?

Thanks

I fitted one last year.
It came with a lever operated connector on the end of the pipe.
You needed a 75 mm hole through the wall to put the connector through.
The pipe was just long enough for me to run it down the outside of the
wall and into the outside unit, you couldn't reduce the length but they
did sell extensions with connectors at each end.
The connectors are self sealing so the gas is kept contained and no
bleeding was needed.

CPC do some nice looking systems ATM but you need to investigate what
connectors they use and how to install as the site says sod all.

You can buy through the wall aircon where all the gubins is in the
internal unit and you have an inlet and outlet port through the wall.
These are completely sealed with no plumbing (except the drain on some)
but are heavy and need bigger core drills.

eg
http://www.aircon247.com/p/8654321/p...nditioner.html
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 09 Jun 2016 09:57:14 +0100, dennis@home wrote:

[...]

I did look into these. You can find the installation manual online.

AFAICS you have insulated pipes that need to be passed through the wall.
There is enough gas prefilled to purge the pipes and leave enough to
operate afterwards.

Other than that, straightforward.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
WeeBob writes:
Can anyone make a recommendation or otherwise for a diy install split
system air conditioning system?

Sold by several web-sites as pre-gassed and "easy to install", I'm
tempted to give it a go, but I'm a bit worried they're being oversold.

In particular, if they're pre-gassed and I bodge up the install - how do
I (even can I) get them re-gassed?

I fitted a couple 11 years ago (B&Q sold them then).
One is still working fine.
The other (at my parents') stangely stopped working when there
was building work going on around it, scaffold being erected and
torn down, etc. I suspect the pipework got clobbered.

There's no pumping down required - both sides are pressurised
and use plug-together connectors which maintain the seal as
you connect them.

You can get them repressurised by an aircon company if needed.
I was quoted £100 for the one which was broken, and that
included finding and fixing the leak (providing it was fixable
without needing any parts except tubing).
In the end, we never got around to it.

At the time when I bought mine, they only artracted 5% VAT as
an air-sourced heat-pump (at least, those that can do heating).
B&Q didn't honour this, but they were much cheaper than all the
suppliers who did. I think that might have changed now - there
was talk of the 5% VAT rate being changed to apply to only those
units which are for heating only and do not have cooling
capability, but I didn't follow what the outcome of that was.

I bought mine for cooling originally, but I mainly use it for
heating, when I just want one room heating for working at home.

Fitting the unit wasn't difficult. The outside unit is very
heavy - I did it as a single-person lift, but I would suggest
you get some help with lifting it. (Depends what power the
compressor is - in the US they rate the power by weight of the
compressor.) There are constraints on the relative heights of
the inside and outside unit (outside must be lower).

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 6/9/2016 9:57 AM, dennis@home wrote:
[...]

I could quite fancy one of their similar heat pumps for our main bedroom

http://www.aircon247.com/c/203598/1/...p-systems.html

The prices didn't seem too bad to me. Anyone got any experience or advice?