Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default TV: Hidden Killers of the Post-War Home

Hidden Killers of the Post-War Home. Dr Suzannah Lipscomb explores the time when British people embraced modern design for the first time after years of austerity and self-denial. The look and feel of the postwar 1950s home - a 'modern' world of moulded plywood furniture, fibreglass, plastics and polyester - had its roots in the innovative materials discovered during World War II.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07chyly

Repeated Tomorrow (Thurs) 03:00 and Sat 28 May 2016 20:00, and on the internet player thingmy.

I don't want to spoil the programme, but several subjects dear to our hearts, including chemistry sets and Practical Householder, feature.

Owain
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/05/2016 21:32, wrote:
Hidden Killers of the Post-War Home. Dr Suzannah Lipscomb explores
the time when British people embraced modern design for the first
time after years of austerity and self-denial. The look and feel of
the postwar 1950s home - a 'modern' world of moulded plywood
furniture, fibreglass, plastics and polyester - had its roots in the
innovative materials discovered during World War II.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07chyly

Repeated Tomorrow (Thurs) 03:00 and Sat 28 May 2016 20:00, and on the
internet player thingmy.

I don't want to spoil the programme, but several subjects dear to our
hearts, including chemistry sets and Practical Householder, feature.

Owain

Just coming up more recently is the impact of bromine fire retardants on
human health - for example, the thyroid.

http://news.yale.edu/2014/01/06/ysph...thyroid-cancer

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 25 May 2016 21:32:51 UTC+1, wrote:
Hidden Killers of the Post-War Home. Dr Suzannah Lipscomb explores the time when British people embraced modern design for the first time after years of austerity and self-denial. The look and feel of the postwar 1950s home - a 'modern' world of moulded plywood furniture, fibreglass, plastics and polyester - had its roots in the innovative materials discovered during World War II.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07chyly

Repeated Tomorrow (Thurs) 03:00 and Sat 28 May 2016 20:00, and on the internet player thingmy.

I don't want to spoil the programme, but several subjects dear to our hearts, including chemistry sets and Practical Householder, feature.

Owain

Yes, watched it.
Spoilt by the Twittering Bimbos.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lee Lee is offline

On 26/05/2016 06:37, harry wrote:
On Wednesday, 25 May 2016 21:32:51 UTC+1, wrote:
Hidden Killers of the Post-War Home. Dr Suzannah Lipscomb explores the time when British people embraced modern design for the first time after years of austerity and self-denial. The look and feel of the postwar 1950s home - a 'modern' world of moulded plywood furniture, fibreglass, plastics and polyester - had its roots in the innovative materials discovered during World War II.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07chyly

Repeated Tomorrow (Thurs) 03:00 and Sat 28 May 2016 20:00, and on the internet player thingmy.

I don't want to spoil the programme, but several subjects dear to our hearts, including chemistry sets and Practical Householder, feature.

Owain

Yes, watched it.
Spoilt by the Twittering Bimbos.

Indeed. The previous incarnations of the program,like the Victorian one
with the arsenic wallpaper was relatively interesting so I was hoping
this one would be. Nope
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Hidden Killers of the Post-War Home

This week victorian houses with killer staircases, bathrooms, laundries
and chemicals

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 1 June 2016 20:51:27 UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:
This week victorian houses with killer staircases, bathrooms, laundries
and chemicals

It said 'new' but I'm sure I've seen killer staircases, borax in milk, and gas baths before. Or maybe that was Killers Still Present in the Edwardian Home.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 1 June 2016 21:53:41 UTC+1, wrote:
On Wednesday, 1 June 2016 20:51:27 UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:

This week victorian houses with killer staircases, bathrooms, laundries
and chemicals

It said 'new' but I'm sure I've seen killer staircases, borax in milk, and gas baths before. Or maybe that was Killers Still Present in the Edwardian Home.

Owain

Borax is less toxic than table salt. Killers included arsenic pigmented paint & wallpaper, backboiler systems with no safety pressure vent, town gas lighting with very high CO content, asbestos, tainted foods. Unregulated factory machinery also took many lives, and a fair bit of production machinery was used in homes then. Trains also killed many.

I don't know what the impact was of collapsing houses, traction engines etc..

NT

Mould Killers Cursitor Doom[_4_] UK diy 10 November 25th 15 03:39 AM
Yahoo! Finance: 10 Hidden Home Insurance Credits Red Green Home Repair 0 February 16th 11 02:34 PM
Insect killers Mo UK diy 28 July 31st 07 11:19 PM
Mosquito killers Steve Manes Home Repair 27 April 13th 05 05:44 PM
X-Post regarding "Hidden" Menu Settings Art Electronics Repair 1 June 22nd 04 06:56 PM