Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default tanalized timber: paint or not?

I bought a length of 4" x 1" tanalized timber to replaxe my roof's rotting facia board. I also bought a can of clear liquid wood preservative to apply for good measure. My question is: will this timber facia last longer if I paint it with some kind of paint? This may seem like a silly question to some, but I've often thought that painting might actually encourage rot, because if moisture finds its way under the paint, the paint could prevent the wood from drying out. I have a large garden gate which I made several years ago from tanalized timer which I then painted with old, used engine oil, and it is showing no sign of rot anywhere. So perhaps old, used engine oil is a better bet than paint as a life-extender for exposed timber. What do you say? If you advocate paint, which type do you recommend?

TIA
JD
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 24 May 2016 21:06:17 UTC+1, Phil L wrote:
wrote:
[...]

upvc fascia board is cheaper than timber and paint, lasts longer too, which
is why it's been used for the past 25 years for this very purpose.

+1

Nobody is using timber these days.
The "tanalising is crap too.
It was once arsenic based, but no longer.
"Treated" wood soon rots these days whereas before it was virtually indestructible rot wise. Even when allegedly pressure treated.

You can get lighter grade PVC fascia intended to fit over timber or heavier stuff that is "stand alone".
Full range of junctions and corners etc.. Stainless steel nails with plastic covered head.