Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Repaired boiler PCBs - invalid insurance?

Recently had to have my dead boiler repaired. and was set to have the main
PCB replaced with a (self-sourced) reconditioned one rather than a brand
new one at an eye-watering price.

In the end the problem turned out to be something else; however my point in
posting is that the engineer tried to warn me off using the reconditioned
part because he says that he's heard of somebody having had a house fire
caused by one, followed by the resulting insurance claim being turned down
due to the boiler not having been properly repaired by a standard
manufacturer-supplied part.

A fire is plausible I suppose, but as to the last bit I smell bull****.
Could it be any way legit for an insurer to reject a claim on the above
basis (unless presumably they had highly specific and restrictive small
print in their policy wording?)

--
David