Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] nospam@thanks.com is offline

Default Repaired boiler PCBs - invalid insurance?

On 12/05/2016 09:26, Lobster wrote:
Recently had to have my dead boiler repaired. and was set to have the main
PCB replaced with a (self-sourced) reconditioned one rather than a brand
new one at an eye-watering price.

In the end the problem turned out to be something else; however my point in
posting is that the engineer tried to warn me off using the reconditioned
part because he says that he's heard of somebody having had a house fire
caused by one, followed by the resulting insurance claim being turned down
due to the boiler not having been properly repaired by a standard
manufacturer-supplied part.

A fire is plausible I suppose, but as to the last bit I smell bull****.
Could it be any way legit for an insurer to reject a claim on the above
basis (unless presumably they had highly specific and restrictive small
print in their policy wording?)

Errr, how would the insurance company know? You are right to smell BS.