Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Car Battery Lifetime

How long do lead/acid car batteries typically last nowadays and does it
make any difference if you do low annual mileage but with lots of very
short local trips, or high annual long-run motorway miles?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mine's on the way out at 8 years. The last 4 years have involved two daily journeys of about a mile each way, so no surprise. It barely gets to recover the energy expended in starting. The occasional long trip has kept it serviceable, until recently. This winter just gone by, I've had to take the charger to it when starter turnover became very sluggish.

Terry.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Chris writes
How long do lead/acid car batteries typically last nowadays and does it
make any difference if you do low annual mileage but with lots of very
short local trips, or high annual long-run motorway miles?

Our last car, owned from new, finally died last year. Fairly low
mileage, average 5k a year, one long journey a year, the rest local.
Battery replaced once in 18 years, which I thought was quite good.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Chris writes
How long do lead/acid car batteries typically last nowadays and does it
make any difference if you do low annual mileage but with lots of very
short local trips, or high annual long-run motorway miles?

Piece of string question. The only truism I can offer is that the one
fitted by the manufacturer will last much longer than any replacement
you buy. Usually in excess of 5 years.

Replacements usually outlast the warranty. Just!

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Chris wrote:
How long do lead/acid car batteries typically last nowadays and does it
make any difference if you do low annual mileage but with lots of very
short local trips, or high annual long-run motorway miles?

IMHO, it more depends on if they are ever allowed to go flat.

The factory battery on my '97 BMW died after just over 3 years. The
replacement Bosch - which looked identical in every way except for being
badged Bosch rather than BMW - lasted 11 years. And that with a mixture of
short trips and long ones - certainly not cosseted.

It could be the original was allowed to run flat when at the dealers - I
bought the car at 2 years old.

--
*When you get a bladder infection urine trouble.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Chris wrote:
How long do lead/acid car batteries typically last nowadays and does it
make any difference if you do low annual mileage but with lots of very
short local trips, or high annual long-run motorway miles?

IMHO, it more depends on if they are ever allowed to go flat.

The factory battery on my '97 BMW died after just over 3 years. The
replacement Bosch - which looked identical in every way except for being
badged Bosch rather than BMW - lasted 11 years. And that with a mixture of
short trips and long ones - certainly not cosseted.

It could be the original was allowed to run flat when at the dealers - I
bought the car at 2 years old.

That brings another question, what about those fitted to VW cars with
self start?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

"Broadback" wrote in message
That brings another question, what about those fitted to VW cars with self
start?

The instruction manual for our Honda CR-V with auto-stop warns that the
battery must be replaced with one that is designed for more frequent
starts - I think it may list make/models or specifications that have been
approved.

So there is the implication that auto-stop cars need a special battery.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 18 Apr 2016 08:56:10 +0100, Tim Lamb
wrote:

In message , Chris writes
How long do lead/acid car batteries typically last nowadays and does it
make any difference if you do low annual mileage but with lots of very
short local trips, or high annual long-run motorway miles?

Piece of string question. The only truism I can offer is that the one
fitted by the manufacturer will last much longer than any replacement
you buy. Usually in excess of 5 years.

Replacements usually outlast the warranty. Just!

And even when they don't, if it's just a (lower) capacity issue I've
found they rarely cover it (that's fair enough I guess as they don't
know how it's been used ... should that matter?).

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"NY" wrote in message
o.uk...
"Broadback" wrote in message
That brings another question, what about those fitted to VW cars with
self start?

The instruction manual for our Honda CR-V with auto-stop warns that the
battery must be replaced with one that is designed for more frequent
starts - I think it may list make/models or specifications that have been
approved.

So there is the implication that auto-stop cars need a special battery.

For which they charge a bomb which is why my auto start is never used. Plus
the fact that I don't wanna shell out to have a new starter ring fitted.
IME it's always the ring that dies, never the pinion.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 18 Apr 2016 10:58:18 +0100, NY wrote:

"Broadback" wrote in message
That brings another question, what about those fitted to VW cars with
self start?

The instruction manual for our Honda CR-V with auto-stop warns that the
battery must be replaced with one that is designed for more frequent
starts - I think it may list make/models or specifications that have
been approved.

So there is the implication that auto-stop cars need a special battery.

That is certainly what it days in my S-Max manual.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/04/2016 01:02, Chris wrote:
How long do lead/acid car batteries typically last nowadays and does it
make any difference if you do low annual mileage but with lots of very
short local trips, or high annual long-run motorway miles?

We've recently replace the battery on my wife's Puma - when it was
approaching 16 years old. She only does 2 or 3k miles a year - mostly
short journeys. The old one still worked but tended to go flat if the
car was left standing for a couple of weeks.

I've still got the original battery on my 2007 Volvo 2.4 Diesel V70 -
which will soon be 9 years old.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"bm" wrote in message
eb.com...

"NY" wrote in message
o.uk...
"Broadback" wrote in message
That brings another question, what about those fitted to VW cars with
self start?

The instruction manual for our Honda CR-V with auto-stop warns that the
battery must be replaced with one that is designed for more frequent
starts - I think it may list make/models or specifications that have been
approved.

So there is the implication that auto-stop cars need a special battery.

For which they charge a bomb which is why my auto start is never used.
Plus the fact that I don't wanna shell out to have a new starter ring
fitted.
IME it's always the ring that dies, never the pinion.

Is this the ******** that when a car stops at traffic lights etc turns the
engine turns off?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote in message
"bm" wrote in message
eb.com...

"NY" wrote in message
o.uk...
"Broadback" wrote in message
That brings another question, what about those fitted to VW cars with
self start?

The instruction manual for our Honda CR-V with auto-stop warns that the
battery must be replaced with one that is designed for more frequent
starts - I think it may list make/models or specifications that have
been approved.

So there is the implication that auto-stop cars need a special battery.

For which they charge a bomb which is why my auto start is never used.
Plus the fact that I don't wanna shell out to have a new starter ring
fitted.
IME it's always the ring that dies, never the pinion.

Is this the ******** that when a car stops at traffic lights etc turns the
engine turns off?

Sure is.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"bm" wrote in message
eb.com...

"ARW" wrote in message
"bm" wrote in message
eb.com...

"NY" wrote in message
o.uk...
"Broadback" wrote in message
That brings another question, what about those fitted to VW cars with
self start?

The instruction manual for our Honda CR-V with auto-stop warns that the
battery must be replaced with one that is designed for more frequent
starts - I think it may list make/models or specifications that have
been approved.

So there is the implication that auto-stop cars need a special battery.

For which they charge a bomb which is why my auto start is never used.
Plus the fact that I don't wanna shell out to have a new starter ring
fitted.
IME it's always the ring that dies, never the pinion.

Is this the ******** that when a car stops at traffic lights etc turns
the engine turns off?

Sure is.

My Mothers brand new i10 does that. And so did my V reg MK II Escort.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/04/16 20:12, ARW wrote:

Is this the ******** that when a car stops at traffic lights etc turns
the engine turns off?

Yes - and it's ********. SWMBO's MINI has it. All I see is the battery
and starter wearing out, so I hit the "disable this nob headed feature
button" (there really is a button). I wish I could just change the
default...
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
On 18/04/16 20:12, ARW wrote:

Is this the ******** that when a car stops at traffic lights etc turns
the engine turns off?

Yes - and it's ********. SWMBO's MINI has it. All I see is the battery and
starter wearing out, so I hit the "disable this nob headed feature button"
(there really is a button). I wish I could just change the default...

It's not a MINI it's a BMW:-(

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/04/16 21:52, ARW wrote:
"Tim Watts" wrote in message
On 18/04/16 20:12, ARW wrote:

Is this the ******** that when a car stops at traffic lights etc turns
the engine turns off?

Yes - and it's ********. SWMBO's MINI has it. All I see is the battery
and starter wearing out, so I hit the "disable this nob headed feature
button" (there really is a button). I wish I could just change the
default...

It's not a MINI it's a BMW:-(

True.

On the plus side, at least it does not need a can of WD-40 over the
dizzi to keep it going in the rain. Unlike Oily's old Morris Mini The
one that lost 2 pints of water from the engine on every trip to work and
rewarded me with 2nd degree burns on my arm :-o

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/04/2016 21:27, Tim Watts wrote:
On 18/04/16 20:12, ARW wrote:

Is this the ******** that when a car stops at traffic lights etc turns
the engine turns off?

Yes - and it's ********. SWMBO's MINI has it. All I see is the battery
and starter wearing out, so I hit the "disable this nob headed feature
button" (there really is a button). I wish I could just change the
default...

Could be useful I guess if you get to sample the delights the M6 has to
offer on a Friday evening

--
Dazza
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/04/16 20:12, ARW wrote:

Is this the ******** that when a car stops at traffic lights etc turns
the engine turns off?

Yes - and it's ********. SWMBO's MINI has it. All I see is the battery
and starter wearing out, so I hit the "disable this nob headed feature
button" (there really is a button). I wish I could just change the
default...

Could be useful I guess if you get to sample the delights the M6 has to
offer on a Friday evening

Sadly the mini does not have a "fold seats into a large bed" button.

My Maxi did though...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:
It's not a MINI it's a BMW:-(

True.

On the plus side, at least it does not need a can of WD-40 over the
dizzi to keep it going in the rain.

Cheaper to buy a new waterproof cover.

Unlike Oily's old Morris Mini The
one that lost 2 pints of water from the engine on every trip to work and
rewarded me with 2nd degree burns on my arm :-o

Amazing the way people blame the car for poor maintance. ;-)

I had a few Mini vans over the years. Never paid more than 30 quid for
one. Unusual in its day in that you could drive it flat out on a motorway
without it blowing up. And on side roads too - no need to slow down for
corners.

--
*Men are from Earth, women are from Earth. Deal with it.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/04/16 20:12, ARW wrote:

Is this the ******** that when a car stops at traffic lights etc turns
the engine turns off?

Yes - and it's ********. SWMBO's MINI has it. All I see is the battery
and starter wearing out, so I hit the "disable this nob headed feature
button" (there really is a button). I wish I could just change the
default...

I had a 2008 BMW Mini with stop-start - 70,000/6 years on the same
battery and starter (I assume - I didn't buy it new), and still working
when I sold it. Forums suggest the system is quite reliable too. The
system's parts are, apparently, built for it.

--
Cheers, Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/04/16 20:12, ARW wrote:

Is this the ******** that when a car stops at traffic lights etc
turns the engine turns off?

Yes - and it's ********. SWMBO's MINI has it. All I see is the battery
and starter wearing out, so I hit the "disable this nob headed feature
button" (there really is a button). I wish I could just change the
default...

Could be useful I guess if you get to sample the delights the M6 has to
offer on a Friday evening

That's precisely when (and why) it's crap. Restarting the engine every 2
minutes?

That's when I turn it off. Otherwise it stays on.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/04/16 20:12, ARW wrote:

Is this the ******** that when a car stops at traffic lights etc
turns the engine turns off?

Yes - and it's ********. SWMBO's MINI has it. All I see is the battery
and starter wearing out, so I hit the "disable this nob headed feature
button" (there really is a button). I wish I could just change the
default...

Could be useful I guess if you get to sample the delights the M6 has to
offer on a Friday evening

That's precisely when (and why) it's crap. Restarting the engine every 2
minutes?

That's when I turn it off. Otherwise it stays on.

Switching it off is the first thing I do after starting the engine.

Same here, I hit the start button and head straight for the stop/start kill,
just as the engine starts
I've had to replace a starter ring in the past (with help), no thanks.
These days it'd cost me.

--
I'm a tightarse.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , ARW adamwadsworth@blueyond
er.co.uk escribió:

It's not a MINI it's a BMW:-(

The first mkI (R53 IIRC) BMW MINIs were great fun to drive and well-
built. I had one for a few years. Went round corners like it was on
rails no matter how fast I was going.

The revamped mkIIs are a lot less involving to drive - they're
completely different under the bonnet (different engine, different
gearbox, probably different suspension too.)

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) Windows 10: less of an OS, more of a drive-by mugging.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

er.co.uk escribió:

It's not a MINI it's a BMW:-(

The first mkI (R53 IIRC) BMW MINIs were great fun to drive and well-
built. I had one for a few years. Went round corners like it was on
rails no matter how fast I was going.

I was given an early BMW Mini as a loan car when my BMW went in for
service while away from home. They hadn't been out long. What didn't
impress was the very coarse engine. Given that is always the best part of
any BMW.

The revamped mkIIs are a lot less involving to drive - they're
completely different under the bonnet (different engine, different
gearbox, probably different suspension too.)

The later ones are certainly more refined.

--
*Also too, never, ever use repetitive redundancies *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/04/2016 12:18, bm wrote:

I've had to replace a starter ring in the past (with help), no thanks.
These days it'd cost me.

Do the starter rings on the cars fitted with this die? It's been around
long enough that this should be known now.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Clive George" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 19/04/2016 12:18, bm wrote:

I've had to replace a starter ring in the past (with help), no thanks.
These days it'd cost me.

Do the starter rings on the cars fitted with this die? It's been around
long enough that this should be known now.

No idea, it's just easier not to risk it. Prolly a lot more expensive to fix
than the cost of petrol you save.
I read somewhere that the stop/start is to comply with emission levels.

I used to find a similar thing with brake cylinders, overtighten the bleed
nipple a tad and the cylinder thread got screwed, so to speak.
I.e, bleed nipple harder than cylinder thread, starter pinion harder than
starter ring.

--
I'm a tightarse.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/04/2016 12:18, bm wrote:

I've had to replace a starter ring in the past (with help), no thanks.
These days it'd cost me.

Do the starter rings on the cars fitted with this die? It's been around
long enough that this should be known now.

No idea, it's just easier not to risk it. Prolly a lot more expensive to fix
than the cost of petrol you save.

I suspect the starter rings are stronger than the ones you had trouble
with. I'd expect problems with the battery and possibly the starter
motor, but if they'd not designed the lumpy metal bits well enough
people would know about it by now.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/04/16 20:12, ARW wrote:

Is this the ******** that when a car stops at traffic lights etc turns
the engine turns off?

Yes - and it's ********. SWMBO's MINI has it. All I see is the battery
and starter wearing out, so I hit the "disable this nob headed feature
button" (there really is a button). I wish I could just change the
default...

I had a 2008 BMW Mini with stop-start - 70,000/6 years on the same
battery and starter (I assume - I didn't buy it new), and still working
when I sold it. Forums suggest the system is quite reliable too. The
system's parts are, apparently, built for it.

Yup.

Friends have owned a VW something or other with it for some years,
it's not caused them any problems. AFAIK they leave it
on.

I had a hire car with it last year. Was a bit disconcerting at
first, but I was soon used to it and didn't notice
it.

Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , ARW
wrote:
"bm" wrote in message
eb.com...

"NY" wrote in message
o.uk...
"Broadback" wrote in message
That brings another question, what about those fitted to VW cars with
self start?

The instruction manual for our Honda CR-V with auto-stop warns that
the battery must be replaced with one that is designed for more
frequent starts - I think it may list make/models or specifications
that have been approved.

So there is the implication that auto-stop cars need a special battery.

For which they charge a bomb which is why my auto start is never used.
Plus the fact that I don't wanna shell out to have a new starter ring
fitted. IME it's always the ring that dies, never the pinion.

Is this the ******** that when a car stops at traffic lights etc turns
the engine turns off?

It stops you pushing fumes into the car behind.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:
On 18/04/16 20:12, ARW wrote:

Is this the ******** that when a car stops at traffic lights etc turns
the engine turns off?

Yes - and it's ********. SWMBO's MINI has it. All I see is the battery
and starter wearing out, so I hit the "disable this nob headed feature
button" (there really is a button). I wish I could just change the
default...

On my car, the energy used to restart the engine comes from regenerative
braking which is stored in a super capacitor.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/04/16 20:12, ARW wrote:

Is this the ******** that when a car stops at traffic lights etc turns
the engine turns off?

Yes - and it's ********. SWMBO's MINI has it. All I see is the battery
and starter wearing out, so I hit the "disable this nob headed feature
button" (there really is a button). I wish I could just change the
default...

Could be useful I guess if you get to sample the delights the M6 has to
offer on a Friday evening

I met similar on the M1 last Friday - does that count?

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/04/16 20:12, ARW wrote:

Is this the ******** that when a car stops at traffic lights etc turns
the engine turns off?

Yes - and it's ********. SWMBO's MINI has it. All I see is the battery
and starter wearing out, so I hit the "disable this nob headed feature
button" (there really is a button). I wish I could just change the
default...

Could be useful I guess if you get to sample the delights the M6 has to
offer on a Friday evening

Sadly the mini does not have a "fold seats into a large bed" button.

My Maxi did though...

Friends told me a Mini Van would take a matress,

Ina motoring survey : question "What is yor favourite form of motor
sport?" Ans: "my car has reclining front seats"

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In ,
Mike wrote:

En el , ARWadamwadsworth@blueyond
er.co.uk escribió:

It's not a MINI it's a BMW:-(

The first mkI (R53 IIRC) BMW MINIs were great fun to drive and well-
built. I had one for a few years. Went round corners like it was on
rails no matter how fast I was going.

I was given an early BMW Mini as a loan car when my BMW went in for
service while away from home. They hadn't been out long. What didn't
impress was the very coarse engine. Given that is always the best part of
any BMW.

The revamped mkIIs are a lot less involving to drive - they're
completely different under the bonnet (different engine, different
gearbox, probably different suspension too.)

The later ones are certainly more refined.

AIUI they had to do something with the suspension as it
couldn't cope with the roads in Houston snd some other places. The
steering geometry was damaged in use I believe.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

charles wrote:

On 18/04/16 20:12, ARW wrote:

Is this the ******** that when a car stops at traffic lights etc turns
the engine turns off?

Yes - and it's ********. SWMBO's MINI has it. All I see is the battery
and starter wearing out, so I hit the "disable this nob headed feature
button" (there really is a button). I wish I could just change the
default...

Could be useful I guess if you get to sample the delights the M6 has to
offer on a Friday evening

Sadly the mini does not have a "fold seats into a large bed" button.

My Maxi did though...

Friends told me a Mini Van would take a matress,

Ina motoring survey : question "What is yor favourite form of motor
sport?" Ans: "my car has reclining front seats"

The Metro will take an 8 x 4 sheet or 2 Gplan rockers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Chris writes:
How long do lead/acid car batteries typically last nowadays and does it
make any difference if you do low annual mileage but with lots of very
short local trips, or high annual long-run motorway miles?

IME, the original battery in all the cars around the family does in
excess of 10 years. Finding a replacement anywhere near as good when
it finally needs replacing seems to be impossible.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 20 Apr 2016 22:18:57 +0000, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

In article ,
Chris writes:
How long do lead/acid car batteries typically last nowadays and does it
make any difference if you do low annual mileage but with lots of very
short local trips, or high annual long-run motorway miles?

IME, the original battery in all the cars around the family does in
excess of 10 years. Finding a replacement anywhere near as good when it
finally needs replacing seems to be impossible.

If that is the case there is no good reason for it. The required
characteristics of a replacement battery are readily ascertainable from
observation and measurement of an in-service unit - if not from published
data. Most likely scenario is that car owners just buy cheapo
replacements without concerning themselves about satisfying that
particular vehicle's requirements.
Do reputable battery manufacturers like Oldham and Exide still even exist
given the punters' tendency to go for the cheap and nasty alternatives?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris writes:
[...]

My experience is that a name has very little association with quality.
Most old "names" have been bought up in order to peddle nominal quality
with lots of margin.

I thought Exide was still around.