Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Alternatives to stair carpets

SWMBO wants a new stair carpet, as the current one is worse for wear. This is the only carpet we have in the house, as the rest of the house is tiled, or solid wood floored.

I'm relectant to replace the stair carlet with yet another one, not least of all because I'll me made to take my shoues off to use the stairs

I'm looking for alternatives to carpet, e.g.

Painting the bare wooden stais with a floor paint - anyone done that ? Bad Idea ?
Solid wood covering on stairs - could be tricky...

Use an alternative stair covering ? I'm sure they're out there......?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions, or your own experiences of avoiding carpets.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/04/16 12:13, cf-leeds wrote:
SWMBO wants a new stair carpet, as the current one is worse for wear. This is the only carpet we have in the house, as the rest of the house is tiled, or solid wood floored.

I'm relectant to replace the stair carlet with yet another one, not least of all because I'll me made to take my shoues off to use the stairs

I'm looking for alternatives to carpet, e.g.

Painting the bare wooden stais with a floor paint - anyone done that ? Bad Idea ?
Solid wood covering on stairs - could be tricky...

Use an alternative stair covering ? I'm sure they're out there......?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions, or your own experiences of avoiding carpets.

I'm interested too for the same reason
Posted to uk.d-i-y

cf-leeds wrote:
SWMBO wants a new stair carpet, as the current one is worse for wear. This is the only carpet we have in the house, as the rest of the house is tiled, or solid wood floored.

I'm relectant to replace the stair carlet with yet another one, not least of all because I'll me made to take my shoues off to use the stairs

I'm looking for alternatives to carpet, e.g.

Painting the bare wooden stais with a floor paint - anyone done that ? Bad Idea ?
Solid wood covering on stairs - could be tricky...

Use an alternative stair covering ? I'm sure they're out there......?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions, or your own experiences of avoiding carpets.

What will you do where the top of the steps meet the floorboards on the
landing? Or are you lucky enough to have real wooden floors there?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, April 4, 2016 at 1:02:37 PM UTC+1, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
cf-leeds wrote:
SWMBO wants a new stair carpet, as the current one is worse for wear. This is the only carpet we have in the house, as the rest of the house is tiled, or solid wood floored.

I'm relectant to replace the stair carlet with yet another one, not least of all because I'll me made to take my shoues off to use the stairs

I'm looking for alternatives to carpet, e.g.

Painting the bare wooden stais with a floor paint - anyone done that ? Bad Idea ?
Solid wood covering on stairs - could be tricky...

Use an alternative stair covering ? I'm sure they're out there......?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions, or your own experiences of avoiding carpets.

What will you do where the top of the steps meet the floorboards on the
landing? Or are you lucky enough to have real wooden floors there?

It's a 1930s semi. The top step is a stairwell and then it a left turn to the landing, which is sanded+varnished floorboards. We have stair-rods right now, and the current carpet is a strip down the middle of the stairs. The whole of the 1msq starwell at the top step is carpeted.

It's not so much the idea of a carpet I'm against, though as many of you will understand, with a new carpet, SWMBO would be on a total mission to keep it perfect forever......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dan S. MacAbre" Wrote in message:
cf-leeds wrote:
SWMBO wants a new stair carpet, as the current one is worse for wear. This is the only carpet we have in the house, as the rest of the house is tiled, or solid wood floored.

I'm relectant to replace the stair carlet with yet another one, not least of all because I'll me made to take my shoues off to use the stairs

I'm looking for alternatives to carpet, e.g.

Painting the bare wooden stais with a floor paint - anyone done that ? Bad Idea ?
Solid wood covering on stairs - could be tricky...

Use an alternative stair covering ? I'm sure they're out there......?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions, or your own experiences of avoiding carpets.

What will you do where the top of the steps meet the floorboards on the
landing? Or are you lucky enough to have real wooden floors there?

If the landing is carpeted you my just fold the carpet over the
over hang and fix underneath.
Chris French

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

cf-leeds wrote:
[...]

Thanks - I may be doing that at some time on the future.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/04/2016 20:11, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:

If the landing is carpeted you my just fold the carpet over the
over hang and fix underneath.

Thanks - I may be doing that at some time on the future.

IIRC it was a traditional money saving measure to buy runner a full
step's worth longer than is needed. You fold the spare under at the
top/bottom. Then move it up or down from time to time to even out the
tread wear across the whole length.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, April 4, 2016 at 8:27:04 PM UTC+1, Robin wrote:
On 04/04/2016 20:11, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:

If the landing is carpeted you my just fold the carpet over the
over hang and fix underneath.

Thanks - I may be doing that at some time on the future.

IIRC it was a traditional money saving measure to buy runner a full
step's worth longer than is needed. You fold the spare under at the
top/bottom. Then move it up or down from time to time to even out the
tread wear across the whole length.

--
Robin

Great idea.

Looks like all roads lead to a new carpet.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/04/2016 12:13, cf-leeds wrote:

Painting the bare wooden stais with a floor paint - anyone done that ? Bad Idea ?
Solid wood covering on stairs - could be tricky...

Sand and stain?
Certainly easier to vacuum compared to carpet.

'er took up carpet about 10 years ago and haven't got around to
replacing it. Quite handy as we're going to replace the stairs as part
of the extension.

No harm in living with it without any coving for a while and then deciding.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

cf-leeds wrote:

SWMBO wants a new stair carpet, as the current one is worse for wear.

Does anyone nowadays use a narrow stair carpet with stair rods?
I haven't seen this for ages.

--
Timothy Murphy
gayleard /at/ eircom.net

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Timothy Murphy
writes
cf-leeds wrote:

SWMBO wants a new stair carpet, as the current one is worse for wear.

Does anyone nowadays use a narrow stair carpet with stair rods?
I haven't seen this for ages.

waves

--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/04/2016 13:14, Timothy Murphy wrote:
cf-leeds wrote:

SWMBO wants a new stair carpet, as the current one is worse for wear.

Does anyone nowadays use a narrow stair carpet with stair rods?
I haven't seen this for ages.

Plenty of Victorian houses with stair rods and "runners" in London and
plenty of stock in shops.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

cf-leeds wrote:

SWMBO wants a new stair carpet, as the current one is worse for wear.

Does anyone nowadays use a narrow stair carpet with stair rods?
I haven't seen this for ages.

Plenty of Victorian houses with stair rods and "runners" in London and
plenty of stock in shops.

When I was small around 1961 ish a family friend we visited had such a
carpet with BEA in the pattern at regular intervals. He worked on
aircraft maintenance at Heathrow.

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 4 Apr 2016 04:13:02 -0700 (PDT), cf-leeds
wrote:

SWMBO wants a new stair carpet, as the current one is worse for wear. This is the only carpet we have in the house, as the rest of the house is tiled, or solid wood floored.

I'm relectant to replace the stair carlet with yet another one, not least of all because I'll me made to take my shoues off to use the stairs

I'm looking for alternatives to carpet, e.g.

Painting the bare wooden stais with a floor paint - anyone done that ? Bad Idea ?
Solid wood covering on stairs - could be tricky...

Use an alternative stair covering ? I'm sure they're out there......?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions, or your own experiences of avoiding carpets.

You could go for an industrial style and replace the wooden stairs
with cast iron ones for the victorian factory look
http://www.britannia.uk.com/services...ght-staircases
or modern style
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7033/6...5419bb3d_z.jpg

G.Harman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/04/2016 14:47, Roger Mills wrote:

If you're going industrial, why not clad the treads with aluminium
checker plate. You're sure to be able to get some with a rounded front
to go round the nose of the treads.

I feel aluminium "treadplate" is a slip hazard - especially where it
could become polished through use. Better IMHO to go for GRP - which
offers the option of yellow nosings for enhanced visibility too

eg
http://www.safetybuyer.com/coba-grip...FRIUGwodiNgKAg

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 4 April 2016 12:13:05 UTC+1, cf-leeds wrote:
Thanks in advance for any suggestions, or your own experiences of
avoiding carpets.

Wooden stairs always seem even noisier than wooden floors. Possibly because they often have resonant cavities underneath them, of the gap between the stairs and the under-stair boarding (if present) and the understairs cupboard.

People also tend to tread heavily on stairs.

I would stick with stair rods and carpet strip. You may be able to get a second-hand stairlift cheaply, which you can ride on and keep your feet off the carpet :-)

Owain
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
On Monday, 4 April 2016 12:13:05 UTC+1, cf-leeds wrote:
Thanks in advance for any suggestions, or your own experiences of
avoiding carpets.

Wooden stairs always seem even noisier than wooden floors. Possibly
because they often have resonant cavities underneath them, of the gap
between the stairs and the under-stair boarding (if present) and the
understairs cupboard.

They also look tatty to me if stripped and varnished, etc. Unlike
floorboards. Don't really know why one looks fine to me but the other not.
;-)

Purpose made solid wood ones, a different matter.

People also tend to tread heavily on stairs.

I'd also be worried about grip.

I would stick with stair rods and carpet strip. You may be able to get a
second-hand stairlift cheaply, which you can ride on and keep your feet
off the carpet :-)

Given the small extra cost I'd go for a fitted stair carpet. But you do
need a decent quality one to last.

--
*Caution: I drive like you do.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 04 Apr 2016 17:02:42 +0100, Tim Streater wrote:

In article , Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

People also tend to tread heavily on stairs.

I'd also be worried about grip.

This is a very important safety point. My feet went from under me some
15 years ago on the neighbour's nice wooden staircase and me wearing
rubber-soled shoes (which as it turned out had gone smooth). Only
injury sprained thumb but it's not been right since.

My father slipped on wooden stairs - his own fault, as he was in socks and
was rushing about. He went from traing for the '52 Olympic weight-lifting
team to permanent slight disability in about a second.
I've been a bit nervous about stairs for the last 65 years because of that
incident.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/04/2016 12:13, cf-leeds wrote:
Thanks in advance for any suggestions, or your own experiences of avoiding carpets.

Be a dalek. (Early ones couldn't and later ones didn't need.)
Put a paternoster on the other side of the hall.
Have a strategically placed trampoline.
Install hand and foot holds as a climbing wall up one side of the staircase.
Use the painted steel fire escape instead.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4/4/2016 12:13 PM, cf-leeds wrote:
SWMBO wants a new stair carpet, as the current one is worse for wear. This is the only carpet we have in the house, as the rest of the house is tiled, or solid wood floored.

I'm relectant to replace the stair carlet with yet another one, not least of all because I'll me made to take my shoues off to use the stairs

I'm looking for alternatives to carpet, e.g.

Painting the bare wooden stais with a floor paint - anyone done that ? Bad Idea ?

I have a painted one, they get tatty after a while but I've never got
round to re-painting it.

Solid wood covering on stairs - could be tricky...

Use an alternative stair covering ? I'm sure they're out there......?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions, or your own experiences of avoiding carpets.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

cf-leeds Wrote in message:
SWMBO wants a new stair carpet, as the current one is worse for wear. This is the only carpet we have in the house, as the rest of the house is tiled, or solid wood floored.

I'm relectant to replace the stair carlet with yet another one, not least of all because I'll me made to take my shoues off to use the stairs

I'm looking for alternatives to carpet, e.g.

Painting the bare wooden stais with a floor paint - anyone done that ? Bad Idea ?
Solid wood covering on stairs - could be tricky...

Use an alternative stair covering ? I'm sure they're out there......?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions, or your own experiences of avoiding carpets.

Not a covering, but some friends parents have done something fun
with their uncarpeted staircase.

They mocked up some shelves and put stuff on them (books, bits and
bobs, cats etc.). Took photos and had them printed onto sticky
backed vinyl. Then stuck them onto the risers. Looks very
convincing at hte first look :-)
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/04/2016 08:30, Chris French wrote:
Not a covering, but some friends parents have done something fun
with their uncarpeted staircase.

They mocked up some shelves and put stuff on them (books, bits and
bobs, cats etc.). Took photos and had them printed onto sticky
backed vinyl. Then stuck them onto the risers. Looks very
convincing at hte first look:-)
--

Thanks for posting that suggestion. If you'd posted "They covered their
stairs in Fablon.", or, probably worse, Contact from Woolworths, it

But with lovely images of cats, books, vases of flowers, lamps, clocks,
knick-knacks, etc., that's some something altogether different.

It sounds utterly tasteless. And hideous. :-)

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 11 April 2016 20:57:42 UTC+2, polygonum wrote:
On 11/04/2016 08:30, Chris French wrote:
Not a covering, but some friends parents have done something fun
with their uncarpeted staircase.

They mocked up some shelves and put stuff on them (books, bits and
bobs, cats etc.). Took photos and had them printed onto sticky
backed vinyl. Then stuck them onto the risers. Looks very
convincing at hte first look:-)
--

Thanks for posting that suggestion. If you'd posted "They covered their
stairs in Fablon.", or, probably worse, Contact from Woolworths, it
would have sounded hideous.

But with lovely images of cats, books, vases of flowers, lamps, clocks,
knick-knacks, etc., that's some something altogether different.

It sounds utterly tasteless. And hideous. :-)

I quite like the make-over the Eurotunnel give their toilets with a
picture of (I think) lavender fields printed on sticky backed vinyl.

Didn't look hideous at all.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 12 Apr 2016 01:53:52 -0700, Martin Bonner wrote:

[...]

I can imagine with a well chosen background image, it could make toilet
trained bears feel right at home. :-)

--
Johnny B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4/4/2016 7:58 AM, Chris Hogg wrote:

But make sure you get the oil-based version, as I think they do a
water-based one that wouldn't mix with the turps sub. This may be the
oil-based stuff http://tinyurl.com/juoqqma but whether it's the same
as was available 16 years ago, I've no idea. High in volatiles, I
suspect, so it'll smell the house out for a while, and how you get up
the stairs while you're waiting for it to dry, I'll leave to you to
work out!

Easy. You do alternate treads. When the first lot are dry, you do the
remaining ones.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Also of course if you have a dog, most non carpet solutions can end in
disaster.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
wrote:

SWMBO wants a new stair carpet, as the current one is worse for wear. This
is the only carpet we have in the house, as the rest of the house is
tiled, or solid wood floored.

I'm relectant to replace the stair carlet with yet another one, not least
of all because I'll me made to take my shoues off to use the stairs

I'm looking for alternatives to carpet, e.g.

Painting the bare wooden stais with a floor paint - anyone done that ? Bad
Idea ?
Solid wood covering on stairs - could be tricky...

Use an alternative stair covering ? I'm sure they're out there......?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions, or your own experiences of avoiding
carpets.

We have a wooden staircase, (American ash, lovely grain pattern) no
carpet. From advice here many years ago, it was recommended that a
couple of coats of oil-based Bourne Seal be used, the first coat
diluted 50/50 with turps sub or white spirit so that it soaks well
into the wood. This hardens the wood and makes it very wear resistant.
That was 16 years ago and it's been very successful, but was applied
to new wood. You will probably need to sand yours back down to the
wood to remove traces of old paint, dirt etc.