Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default HDMI from laptop to big screen TV

Ok the TV is an early digital one, but sound is not appearing through
the TV speakers and the image only fills around the middle section of
the screen. Was trying to watch something on BBCi, but ended up trying
to hear it via the laptop speakers.

TV works fine from other sources including its own built in digi. PC is
a Win10 with HDMI output. I tried all the picture and sound settings on
the TV, could it be a setting on the laptop please?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/03/2016 16:33, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Ok the TV is an early digital one, but sound is not appearing through
the TV speakers and the image only fills around the middle section of
the screen. Was trying to watch something on BBCi, but ended up trying
to hear it via the laptop speakers.

TV works fine from other sources including its own built in digi. PC is
a Win10 with HDMI output. I tried all the picture and sound settings on
the TV, could it be a setting on the laptop please?

There's lots of volume control options to play with - have you got
something muted for the HDMI part?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Clive George a écrit :
On 31/03/2016 16:33, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Ok the TV is an early digital one, but sound is not appearing through
the TV speakers and the image only fills around the middle section of
the screen. Was trying to watch something on BBCi, but ended up trying
to hear it via the laptop speakers.

TV works fine from other sources including its own built in digi. PC is
a Win10 with HDMI output. I tried all the picture and sound settings on
the TV, could it be a setting on the laptop please?

There's lots of volume control options to play with - have you got something
muted for the HDMI part?

Not that I could see in the TV settings..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Ok the TV is an early digital one, but sound is not appearing through
the TV speakers and the image only fills around the middle section of
the screen. Was trying to watch something on BBCi, but ended up trying
to hear it via the laptop speakers.

TV works fine from other sources including its own built in digi. PC is
a Win10 with HDMI output. I tried all the picture and sound settings on
the TV, could it be a setting on the laptop please?

It is an HDMI input on the TV and not DVI?

--
*INDECISION is the key to FLEXIBILITY *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/03/2016 16:43, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Clive George a écrit :
On 31/03/2016 16:33, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Ok the TV is an early digital one, but sound is not appearing through
the TV speakers and the image only fills around the middle section of
the screen. Was trying to watch something on BBCi, but ended up trying
to hear it via the laptop speakers.

TV works fine from other sources including its own built in digi. PC is
a Win10 with HDMI output. I tried all the picture and sound settings on
the TV, could it be a setting on the laptop please?

There's lots of volume control options to play with - have you got
something muted for the HDMI part?

Not that I could see in the TV settings..

I meant in the laptop settings.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/03/2016 16:33, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Ok the TV is an early digital one, but sound is not appearing through
the TV speakers and the image only fills around the middle section of
the screen. Was trying to watch something on BBCi, but ended up trying
to hear it via the laptop speakers.

TV works fine from other sources including its own built in digi. PC is
a Win10 with HDMI output. I tried all the picture and sound settings on
the TV, could it be a setting on the laptop please?

It may help to know:

make and model of laptop
make and model of TV
your browser
whether you are extending the desktop or duplicating it

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/03/16 16:33, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Ok the TV is an early digital one, but sound is not appearing through
the TV speakers and the image only fills around the middle section of
the screen. Was trying to watch something on BBCi, but ended up trying
to hear it via the laptop speakers.

TV works fine from other sources including its own built in digi. PC is
a Win10 with HDMI output. I tried all the picture and sound settings on
the TV, could it be a setting on the laptop please?

In the Windows 10 sound mixer applet you should see a HDMI slider
channel. It might be disabled for some reason.

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 31 Mar 2016 16:33:49 +0100
Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Ok the TV is an early digital one, but sound is not appearing through
the TV speakers and the image only fills around the middle section of
the screen. Was trying to watch something on BBCi, but ended up
trying to hear it via the laptop speakers.

TV works fine from other sources including its own built in digi. PC
is a Win10 with HDMI output. I tried all the picture and sound
settings on the TV, could it be a setting on the laptop please?

Something to try:
Make sure they are connected together before you boot up the PC. I have
known it to make a difference.
I have had similar problems with my Ubuntu laptop, now I know what to
do, it's easy, but getting there was a journey. Good luck.

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Robin a écrit :
On 31/03/2016 16:33, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Ok the TV is an early digital one, but sound is not appearing through
the TV speakers and the image only fills around the middle section of
the screen. Was trying to watch something on BBCi, but ended up trying
to hear it via the laptop speakers.

TV works fine from other sources including its own built in digi. PC is
a Win10 with HDMI output. I tried all the picture and sound settings on
the TV, could it be a setting on the laptop please?

It may help to know:

make and model of laptop
make and model of TV
your browser
whether you are extending the desktop or duplicating it

Its an LG TV around 47". The laptop is an HP Compaq CQ62 on Win10.

Clicking the speaker icon in the bottom RH corner bring up the sound
mixer. Click System Sounds and I see Sound, with HDMI Device (not
plugged in) and Speakers (my laptops soundcard).

Connect the HDMI lead and it recognises the LG and its properties. I
can use the test button and it works via the L+R speakers of the TV
fine. However, if I then play something from BBCi player, the sound
only comes from the laptops speakers.

I think I am doing what is called duplicating the screen - what ever
shows on my laptops screen, is shown on the TV too.

Is there a way to expand the picture to fill the entire TV screen?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
Robin a écrit :
[...]

Control Panel | Sound, then Playback tab

There will probably be more than one device listed (eg Speakers/headphones
and HDMI Output) with one of them having a tick over it. Make a note of
where the tick is, and then highlight HDMI and press Set Default.

If you play something (eg in Media Player) you should now find that the
sound is coming out of the TV.

Change it back to the previous setting when you've finished.

I think I am doing what is called duplicating the screen - what ever shows
on my laptops screen, is shown on the TV too.

Is there a way to expand the picture to fill the entire TV screen?

That may be controlled by the TV. There may be an obscure setting to say
(effectively) expand to fill screen.

However you could also try (on the PC) Control Panel | Display | Adjust
resolution and select a slightly higher value in the Resolution drop-down or
slider. Make a note of what it was originally before changing anything!

It is possible that if you set too high a value, the image will disappear
from the laptop screen and the screen will go black. Fortunately there is a
safeguard in Windows: you have to press a button "Accept this change" and if
you do not press it within a few seconds (eg because you can't see it on the
blank screen!) the resolution will automatically revert to its previous
value.

Change it back to the previous setting when you've finished.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/03/2016 20:03, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Robin a écrit :
[...]

Let's try first the picture.

You want to "extend", not "duplicate". And you want to tell the laptop
that the second monitor (ie your TC) has a resolution of . At present it
is sending the TV what it shows on its own screen which is 1336 x 768
pixels. So that appears just in the middle of the TV.

If you press the Windows key + P you get a menu to extend. See eg the
examples at http://www.groovypost.com/howto-wind...monitor-setup/

You may also then need to set the properties of the "second monitor" (ie
TV). The link above gives an example of that too.

Don't forget to use Windows+P to come back to using just the laptop
screen when you finish - else you'll find you mouse pointer vanishing
off the edge.

As regards the sound, I'd expect you to have to use the audio manager to
change the default for playback from speakers to HDMI but I've not had
time to look up what that laptop uses.
--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/03/2016 20:55, Robin wrote:

You want to "extend", not "duplicate". And you want to tell the laptop
that the second monitor (ie your TC) has a resolution of .

Bugger. After "of" please insert the "1920x1080" I assume comes with a
47" LG

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/03/16 16:41, Clive George wrote:
On 31/03/2016 16:33, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Ok the TV is an early digital one, but sound is not appearing through
the TV speakers and the image only fills around the middle section of
the screen. Was trying to watch something on BBCi, but ended up trying
to hear it via the laptop speakers.

TV works fine from other sources including its own built in digi. PC is
a Win10 with HDMI output. I tried all the picture and sound settings on
the TV, could it be a setting on the laptop please?

There's lots of volume control options to play with - have you got
something muted for the HDMI part?

No, he probably means that the windows sound goes to the analog ports by
default, and you need to tell it somehow to go to the HDMI ports
instead/as well.

I know how to do this in Linux...

its shoes.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Connect the HDMI lead and it recognises the LG and its properties. I
can use the test button and it works via the L+R speakers of the TV
fine. However, if I then play something from BBCi player, the sound
only comes from the laptops speakers.

May need to set the HDMI rather than Speakers as default playback device
(right click speaker icon in tray).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 31 March 2016 20:03:13 UTC+1, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Its an LG TV around 47". The laptop is an HP Compaq CQ62 on Win10.

checking this out.
http://www.cnet.com/uk/products/hp-c...presario-cq62/

doesn't have HDMI, but the reason I checked is because my imac from 2009
could put video but not audio through to the HDMI port.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/04/2016 13:01, whisky-dave wrote:

checking this out.
http://www.cnet.com/uk/products/hp-c...presario-cq62/

doesn't have HDMI,

Model dependent? See eg http://www.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02641795.pdf
which references HDMI 1.3 supporting 1080p

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 1 April 2016 14:23:25 UTC+1, Robin wrote:
On 01/04/2016 13:01, whisky-dave wrote:

checking this out.
http://www.cnet.com/uk/products/hp-c...presario-cq62/

doesn't have HDMI,

Model dependent? See eg http://www.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02641795.pdf
which references HDMI 1.3 supporting 1080p

yes but not 4K until 2009 then only at 24Hz it seems, which could be why the picture appears small.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Robin a écrit :
On 01/04/2016 13:01, whisky-dave wrote:

checking this out.
http://www.cnet.com/uk/products/hp-c...presario-cq62/

doesn't have HDMI,

Model dependent? See eg http://www.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02641795.pdf which
references HDMI 1.3 supporting 1080p

It has both HDMI and a multi card reader.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/04/2016 15:43, whisky-dave wrote:
On Friday, 1 April 2016 14:23:25 UTC+1, Robin wrote:
On 01/04/2016 13:01, whisky-dave wrote:

checking this out.
http://www.cnet.com/uk/products/hp-c...presario-cq62/

doesn't have HDMI,

Model dependent? See eg http://www.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02641795.pdf
which references HDMI 1.3 supporting 1080p

yes but not 4K until 2009 then only at 24Hz it seems, which could be why the picture appears small.

Err...I must have missed where 4k came into it - including when the BBC
started streaming 4k

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/04/2016 17:54, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Robin a écrit :
On 01/04/2016 13:01, whisky-dave wrote:

checking this out.
http://www.cnet.com/uk/products/hp-c...presario-cq62/

doesn't have HDMI,

Model dependent? See eg http://www.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02641795.pdf
which references HDMI 1.3 supporting 1080p

It has both HDMI and a multi card reader.

I never doubted it (the HDMI that is)

--
Robin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 1 April 2016 20:19:56 UTC+1, Robin wrote:
On 01/04/2016 15:43, whisky-dave wrote:
On Friday, 1 April 2016 14:23:25 UTC+1, Robin wrote:
On 01/04/2016 13:01, whisky-dave wrote:

checking this out.
http://www.cnet.com/uk/products/hp-c...presario-cq62/

doesn't have HDMI,

Model dependent? See eg http://www.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02641795.pdf
which references HDMI 1.3 supporting 1080p

yes but not 4K until 2009 then only at 24Hz it seems, which could be why the picture appears small.

Err...I must have missed where 4k came into it

where the laptop was conencted to the 4k monitor.

- including when the BBC
started streaming 4k

No idea when the BBC came into it.
I thought the original idea was to get anything that is on 4k from the laptop
could be viewed on the TV (and heard of course)

Laptop screen filler Bill[_18_] UK diy 3 September 2nd 13 05:59 PM
laptop screen problem kent UK diy 13 February 22nd 09 09:06 PM
Recycle Laptop Screen! [email protected] Electronics 1 June 8th 06 05:11 AM
Recycle Laptop Screen! [email protected] Electronics Repair 2 May 25th 06 09:51 PM
Connections of laptop screen h.e. buyck Electronics Repair 1 April 7th 05 08:30 PM