Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Simple shower basin leak question

The ring around the plug hole has been a bit loose ever since I've
been in this house (~5 months) and the other day I kicked it out of
the way in annoyance as it stuck to my heel.

SWIMBO then had a shower and the room (ground floor) was like a
swimming pool - well quite a lot of wet anyway.

Here is a picture.

https://flic.kr/p/FGEp6J

There is little for the ring to hold against unless I use something in
the whole recess but presumably if I used some sealant just around the
plug where I've wedged the gaffa tape (which works by the way), then I
still end up with ring with a propensity to loosen?

So what is the simple solution and what compound should I use? I've
got a tube of weather-proof glue but I suspect that might create an
issue in the future. Thanks

--
AnthonyL

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 31 Mar 2016 13:54:03 +0100, GB
wrote:

Nothing? Hopefully unintentionally.

--
AnthonyL
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

wrote:

Nothing? Hopefully unintentionally.

Yes, unintentionally. I think there is hope for your shower, if not for
my addled brain!

Please see my other post.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 31/03/2016 13:04, AnthonyL wrote:
The ring around the plug hole has been a bit loose ever since I've
been in this house (~5 months) and the other day I kicked it out of
the way in annoyance as it stuck to my heel.

SWIMBO then had a shower and the room (ground floor) was like a
swimming pool - well quite a lot of wet anyway.

Here is a picture.

https://flic.kr/p/FGEp6J

There is little for the ring to hold against unless I use something in
the whole recess but presumably if I used some sealant just around the
plug where I've wedged the gaffa tape (which works by the way), then I
still end up with ring with a propensity to loosen?

So what is the simple solution

The simple solution is to use some silicone sealant to glue everything
back together. I guess that's what the person did who sold/rented the
house to you. It worked for 5+ months!

Replacing the trap is the permanent but not so simple solution. What
access would you have? If the ceiling is damaged anyway, you might
consider cutting a hole in it to gain access to the trap. The insurance
might then cover the repair and redecs cost downstairs.

and what compound should I use? I've
got a tube of weather-proof glue but I suspect that might create an
issue in the future. Thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 31 Mar 2016 13:57:59 +0100, GB
wrote:

[...]

It is a ground floor shower. Not much wiggle room without dismantling
the whole base.

But what would the original design/installation have had?

and what compound should I use? I've
got a tube of weather-proof glue but I suspect that might create an
issue in the future. Thanks

just standard silicone then?

--
AnthonyL
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 31/03/2016 14:03, AnthonyL wrote:

It is a ground floor shower. Not much wiggle room without dismantling
the whole base.

But what would the original design/installation have had?

I suspect that maintenance was not a priority when it was put in, so the
trap was installed on the base, only then was that installed and
connected to the pipework in a trench under the floor, and then the
whole lot was filled in and tiled over. And not a thought given to the
long term, just as long as it looks good enough to get paid.

So, it looks like you are going to have to bodge it.

and what compound should I use? I've
got a tube of weather-proof glue but I suspect that might create an
issue in the future. Thanks

just standard silicone then?

I'd pay for a premium brand specifically for showers, eg dow corning 785.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

GB Wrote in message:
On 31/03/2016 14:03, AnthonyL wrote:

It is a ground floor shower. Not much wiggle room without dismantling
the whole base.

But what would the original design/installation have had?

I suspect that maintenance was not a priority when it was put in, so the
trap was installed on the base, only then was that installed and
connected to the pipework in a trench under the floor, and then the
whole lot was filled in and tiled over. And not a thought given to the
long term, just as long as it looks good enough to get paid.

So, it looks like you are going to have to bodge it.

and what compound should I use? I've
got a tube of weather-proof glue but I suspect that might create an
issue in the future. Thanks

just standard silicone then?

I'd pay for a premium brand specifically for showers, eg dow corning 785.

Do Dow Corny do many others? 761 perchance?...

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 3/31/2016 1:04 PM, AnthonyL wrote:
The ring around the plug hole has been a bit loose ever since I've
been in this house (~5 months) and the other day I kicked it out of
the way in annoyance as it stuck to my heel.

SWIMBO then had a shower and the room (ground floor) was like a
swimming pool - well quite a lot of wet anyway.

Here is a picture.

https://flic.kr/p/FGEp6J

There is little for the ring to hold against unless I use something in
the whole recess but presumably if I used some sealant just around the
plug where I've wedged the gaffa tape (which works by the way), then I
still end up with ring with a propensity to loosen?

So what is the simple solution and what compound should I use? I've
got a tube of weather-proof glue but I suspect that might create an
issue in the future. Thanks

Like some other posters, I am a bit confused by the geometry.

Shortly after I finished fitting my shower, the plug-hole assembly came
loose, I think because the plastic nut on the underside pinged over one
thread. As a temporary fix rather than cutting a hole in the ceiling
below, I made sure that space between the flange and the shower tray was
as dry as I could reasonably achieve, then mixed up some araldite and
warmed it until it was runny, and cast it into the space so that it
bonded the flange to the tray. I didn't use silicone because I was not
confident that I could fill the space effectively without leak paths.
(Note that my geometry was *not* like yours, it was as if your "ring"
was an integral part of the drain hole, like a large mushroom head).

So I think in your case I would go for the "silicone instead of gaffer
tape" as others have suggested, but thought my fix might be of interest
to others. I called it temporary, but it has been fine for 25 years. The
araldite has darkened a little but remains firmly bonded to the chrome
and to the plastic tray.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 31/03/2016 14:02, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Thu, 31 Mar 2016 12:04:57 GMT, lid (AnthonyL)
wrote:

The ring around the plug hole has been a bit loose ever since I've
been in this house (~5 months) and the other day I kicked it out of
the way in annoyance as it stuck to my heel.

SWIMBO then had a shower and the room (ground floor) was like a
swimming pool - well quite a lot of wet anyway.

Here is a picture.

https://flic.kr/p/FGEp6J

There is little for the ring to hold against unless I use something in
the whole recess but presumably if I used some sealant just around the
plug where I've wedged the gaffa tape (which works by the way), then I
still end up with ring with a propensity to loosen?

So what is the simple solution and what compound should I use? I've
got a tube of weather-proof glue but I suspect that might create an
issue in the future. Thanks

What's holding the little circular grid in place? It looks to me as if
it's been assembled in the wrong order. Surely the grid should be
holding down that ring.Undo the screw holding the grid in place (I'm
assuming there's a central screw there somewhere); remove the grid;
clean crud off both ring and grid; place the ring into position;
replace the grid; replace the screw and tighten, adjusting the
position of ring and grid as you go, to keep both centrally
positioned.

On some/most of these, there's a captive nut that the screw tightens
into. Unfortunately, that can drop out far too easily. At which point
you are back to dismantling the waste.

I can't see a screw, so maybe the circular grid is threaded?

I am concerned that, either way, the trap might drop when whatever is
currently holding it is unscrewed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

The ring around the plug hole has been a bit loose ever since I've
been in this house (~5 months) and the other day I kicked it out of
the way in annoyance as it stuck to my heel.

SWIMBO then had a shower and the room (ground floor) was like a
swimming pool - well quite a lot of wet anyway.

Here is a picture.

https://flic.kr/p/FGEp6J

There is little for the ring to hold against unless I use something in
the whole recess but presumably if I used some sealant just around the
plug where I've wedged the gaffa tape (which works by the way), then I
still end up with ring with a propensity to loosen?

So what is the simple solution and what compound should I use? I've
got a tube of weather-proof glue but I suspect that might create an
issue in the future. Thanks

What's holding the little circular grid in place?

If you mean the central plug hole then that is cylindrical and
presumably pushed on to the drain piping. I'm reluctant to disturb
it.

It looks to me as if
it's been assembled in the wrong order. Surely the grid should be
holding down that ring. Undo the screw holding the grid in place (I'm
assuming there's a central screw there somewhere);

There is no screw - I think it is a push fit.

remove the grid;
clean crud off both ring and grid; place the ring into position;
replace the grid; replace the screw and tighten, adjusting the
position of ring and grid as you go, to keep both centrally
positioned.

The hole diameter of the outer ring is about the same as the central
plug hole diameter. If the central plug hole was used to hold the
ring down then the central plug would sit proud. It may have been
intended to sit flush but without trying to lift the plug assembly (ie
the central bit) I don't know.

As it is the plug hole sits slightly below the outer ring.

--
AnthonyL

Wash basin waste leak John UK diy 5 August 13th 06 01:44 PM
Leak round edge of basin Don Phillipson Home Repair 1 December 2nd 05 04:57 PM
Simple wc toilet leak question mjbarnard UK diy 9 November 3rd 05 05:54 PM
Leak free seal for basin drain Jag Man Home Repair 5 April 7th 05 08:09 PM
Simple problem with basin waste (I hope) Robert Chafer UK diy 2 February 14th 04 05:34 AM