Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Dremels and similar

Mini drills are one of those tools that you don't need often, but
occasionally they are *really* useful. My Dremel 3000 just died, web
search suggested triac failure as a common fault, so I replaced that,
but it's still dead. I guess I might have cooked the adjacent timing
chip when replacing the triac. (When I get round to it, I might bypass
the control circuit and add an external speed controller. Should have
said that armature and field coils seem OK and there is negligible brush
wear).

However I could do with an immediate replacement. A bit reluctant to get
another Dremel, there are numerous clones at around half the price on
eBay and Amazon, does anyone have any recommendations?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote:
Mini drills are one of those tools that you don't need often, but
occasionally they are *really* useful. My Dremel 3000 just died, web
search suggested triac failure as a common fault, so I replaced that,
but it's still dead. I guess I might have cooked the adjacent timing
chip when replacing the triac. (When I get round to it, I might bypass
the control circuit and add an external speed controller. Should have
said that armature and field coils seem OK and there is negligible brush
wear).

However I could do with an immediate replacement. A bit reluctant to get
another Dremel, there are numerous clones at around half the price on
eBay and Amazon, does anyone have any recommendations?

My Duratool ones (CPC own brand I believe) seem pretty OK and are
certainly very cheap.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 28 Mar 2016 14:47:54 +0100, cl wrote:

newshound wrote:
Mini drills are one of those tools that you don't need often, but
occasionally they are *really* useful. My Dremel 3000 just died, web
search suggested triac failure as a common fault, so I replaced that,
but it's still dead. I guess I might have cooked the adjacent timing
chip when replacing the triac. (When I get round to it, I might bypass
the control circuit and add an external speed controller. Should have
said that armature and field coils seem OK and there is negligible
brush wear).

However I could do with an immediate replacement. A bit reluctant to
get another Dremel, there are numerous clones at around half the price
on eBay and Amazon, does anyone have any recommendations?

My Duratool ones (CPC own brand I believe) seem pretty OK and are
certainly very cheap.

Don't think it's a CPC own brand as I've seen them in Maplin.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28 Mar 2016 15:59:54 GMT
Bob Eager wrote:

My Duratool ones (CPC own brand I believe) seem pretty OK and are
certainly very cheap.

Don't think it's a CPC own brand as I've seen them in Maplin.

I have seen them on, and bought them from, Amazon.

Ah, here is some info.:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MCM_Electronics

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 28 March 2016 14:14:43 UTC+1, newshound wrote:
Mini drills are one of those tools that you don't need often, but
occasionally they are *really* useful. My Dremel 3000 just died, web
search suggested triac failure as a common fault, so I replaced that,
but it's still dead. I guess I might have cooked the adjacent timing
chip when replacing the triac. (When I get round to it, I might bypass
the control circuit and add an external speed controller. Should have
said that armature and field coils seem OK and there is negligible brush
wear).

However I could do with an immediate replacement. A bit reluctant to get
another Dremel, there are numerous clones at around half the price on
eBay and Amazon, does anyone have any recommendations?

bypass the controller.

They're called die grinders.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Proxxon look handy but not cheap.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote:
Mini drills are one of those tools that you don't need often, but
occasionally they are *really* useful. My Dremel 3000 just died, web
search suggested triac failure as a common fault, so I replaced that,
but it's still dead. I guess I might have cooked the adjacent timing
chip when replacing the triac. (When I get round to it, I might bypass
the control circuit and add an external speed controller. Should have
said that armature and field coils seem OK and there is negligible brush
wear).

However I could do with an immediate replacement. A bit reluctant to get
another Dremel, there are numerous clones at around half the price on
eBay and Amazon, does anyone have any recommendations?

If you have a compressor,die grinders beat the dremel types hollow.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 3/29/2016 6:00 AM, F Murtz wrote:
newshound wrote:
Mini drills are one of those tools that you don't need often, but
occasionally they are *really* useful. My Dremel 3000 just died, web
search suggested triac failure as a common fault, so I replaced that,
but it's still dead. I guess I might have cooked the adjacent timing
chip when replacing the triac. (When I get round to it, I might bypass
the control circuit and add an external speed controller. Should have
said that armature and field coils seem OK and there is negligible brush
wear).

However I could do with an immediate replacement. A bit reluctant to get
another Dremel, there are numerous clones at around half the price on
eBay and Amazon, does anyone have any recommendations?

If you have a compressor,die grinders beat the dremel types hollow.

I have a compressor and a die grinder, but I certainly would not use
this for (for example) drilling half millimetre holes in beading, to
take panel pins.

dremels Fred UK diy 33 April 2nd 13 03:40 PM
Dremels [email protected] UK diy 29 December 18th 12 09:52 AM
KVM over cat 5 or similar Gazz UK diy 13 December 26th 11 09:46 PM
WTB HAKKO 936 OR SIMILAR justme[_2_] Electronic Schematics 0 April 24th 11 08:49 PM
Silcone sheet or similar Nick Maclaren UK diy 7 February 23rd 08 09:24 PM