Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 'Professional grade' pressure washer?

Hi all,

Can anyone personally recommend a 'good' (so, value for money,
reliable, functional, spares readily-available, accessories-available)
continuous use pressure washer, suitable for 'mostly' cleaning patios
and the like please?

Don't mind petrol or electric, just whatever works and lasts (and
isn't 'too' expensive, maybe ~3-400 quid)?

Cheers, T i m

p.s. Something as good as my little Kew Hobby washer but bigger. ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/03/2016 11:46, T i m wrote:
Hi all,

Can anyone personally recommend a 'good' (so, value for money,
reliable, functional, spares readily-available, accessories-available)
continuous use pressure washer, suitable for 'mostly' cleaning patios
and the like please?

Don't mind petrol or electric, just whatever works and lasts (and
isn't 'too' expensive, maybe ~3-400 quid)?

Cheers, T i m

p.s. Something as good as my little Kew Hobby washer but bigger. ;-)

The equivalent to that these days would be the Interpump Boxjet. They
are a bit of a legend in the trade.

Be aware pressure isn't everything. Domestic machines quote "max"
pressure which won't resemble the actual working pressure and flow rate
is low. 1 litre a minute is worth 10 bar.

Have a look here;
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...ure_washer_FAQ

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 27 Mar 2016 12:29:37 +0100, David Lang
wrote:

On 27/03/2016 11:46, T i m wrote:
Hi all,

Can anyone personally recommend a 'good' (so, value for money,
reliable, functional, spares readily-available, accessories-available)
continuous use pressure washer, suitable for 'mostly' cleaning patios
and the like please?

Don't mind petrol or electric, just whatever works and lasts (and
isn't 'too' expensive, maybe ~3-400 quid)?

Cheers, T i m

p.s. Something as good as my little Kew Hobby washer but bigger. ;-)

The equivalent to that these days would be the Interpump Boxjet. They
are a bit of a legend in the trade.

'That's what I'm talking about' (as many seem to say these days).

Be aware pressure isn't everything. Domestic machines quote "max"
pressure which won't resemble the actual working pressure and flow rate
is low.

Ah, good point, like the old 800W Peak Music Power. ;-)

1 litre a minute is worth 10 bar.

Have a look here;
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...ure_washer_FAQ

Thanks.

I like seeing this sort of thing:

http://septimus-spares.co.uk/cold-pr...omplete/#parts

(Not only the exploded diagram but the fact you seem to be able to buy
all the parts for it).

So, thanks for the heads-up Dave. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"T i m" wrote in message ...

Hi all,

Can anyone personally recommend a 'good' (so, value for money,
reliable, functional, spares readily-available, accessories-available)
continuous use pressure washer, suitable for 'mostly' cleaning patios
and the like please?

Don't mind petrol or electric, just whatever works and lasts (and
isn't 'too' expensive, maybe ~3-400 quid)?

Cheers, T i m

p.s. Something as good as my little Kew Hobby washer but bigger. ;-)

You want one of these:

http://www.karcher-futuretech.com/fu...s/17041300.htm

It's a Karcher MPDS intended for decontamination nuclear irradiated battle
field equipment, introduced towards the end of the cold war. I bought mine
on eBay a few years back, and it's been very good - I did a re-furb on it at
the end of last year as ignition of the steam boiler was slightly flaky, but
it is very good now. A bit about it he

http://madmodder.net/index.php/topic...html#msg128565

Andrew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 27 Mar 2016 17:35:44 +0100, "Andrew Mawson"
wrote:

"T i m" wrote in message ...

Hi all,

Can anyone personally recommend a 'good' (so, value for money,
reliable, functional, spares readily-available, accessories-available)
continuous use pressure washer, suitable for 'mostly' cleaning patios
and the like please?

Don't mind petrol or electric, just whatever works and lasts (and
isn't 'too' expensive, maybe ~3-400 quid)?

Cheers, T i m

p.s. Something as good as my little Kew Hobby washer but bigger. ;-)

You want one of these:

http://www.karcher-futuretech.com/fu...s/17041300.htm

You are right, I do, however, not having a truck and a JCB to load it
on with ... ;-)

It's a Karcher MPDS intended for decontamination nuclear irradiated battle
field equipment, introduced towards the end of the cold war. I bought mine
on eBay a few years back, and it's been very good - I did a re-furb on it at
the end of last year as ignition of the steam boiler was slightly flaky, but
it is very good now. A bit about it he

http://madmodder.net/index.php/topic...html#msg128565

Very interesting. ;-)

I think Davids suggestion of the 'Interpump Boxjet' has reminded me my
little Kew Hobby may well be what we are looking for, at least as an
experiment. I see you can also buy adaptors to convert the various HP
connection types so we may just try the Kew with an eBay Nilfisk patio
head thing and see how we go.

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 27/03/2016 11:46, T i m wrote:
[...]

I have used the slightly more powerful 'Quicky' machine and was very
impressed:

http://www.dualpumps.co.uk/products/...ressure_Washer

--
Dazza
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 30 Mar 2016 21:19:57 +0100, gremlin_95
wrote:

snip

I have used the slightly more powerful 'Quicky' machine and was very
impressed:

http://www.dualpumps.co.uk/products/...ressure_Washer

Funnily enough that was the one we were considering, given the
slightly higher flow rate etc.

I like the system Dave pointed me to on the d-i-y Wiki re the
"Cleaning Effect".

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...ure_.26_F low

Pressure (bar) x Flow (litres/min) / 600 and anything less than 1 is
probably going to struggle on anything bigger than a muddy mountain
bike.

That would make the 'Quicky': 100 x 10 / 600 so a 'Cleaning Effect of
1.7.

I wonder if that Wiki guide is using the (probably) over optimistic
values of 'working' pressure and 'working' flow rate and so machines
like the Boxjet / Quicky are effectively underrated?

The little Karcher K2 is supposed to be 110 x 6 / 600 = 1.1 and my
little 'Kew Hobby' (that weighs about 5 x that of the K2) is 70 x 5.5
/ 600 = .64. ;-(

However, at least the spec on the Hobby gives a Max of 90 bar so it
suggests it's being honest with the 70. ;-)

Since asking about these pressure washers we have found Mum has one in
her garage that was bought by Dad and forgotten about (until I
uncovered it the other day) and I have the Hobby so we are first going
to try those on some test areas and see how well they actually work
(or not). If they really are too slow then we will look at something
like the Boxjet / Quicky or *maybe* something petrol powered (probably
with a brass Interpump pump and a Honda engine).

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/03/2016 22:40, T i m wrote:
On Wed, 30 Mar 2016 21:19:57 +0100, gremlin_95
wrote:

snip

[...]

I was using working real pressure when I wrote the guide. It's likely
that the KEW & the Boxjet are using real pressure & flow. Ksarcher cheat
like mad.

The little Karcher K2 is supposed to be 110 x 6 / 600 = 1.1 and my
little 'Kew Hobby' (that weighs about 5 x that of the K2) is 70 x 5.5
/ 600 = .64. ;-(

And the 110 bar is probably what we used to call "marketing bar" :-)

The weight difference is universal motor v induction motor.

However, at least the spec on the Hobby gives a Max of 90 bar so it
suggests it's being honest with the 70. ;-)

Since asking about these pressure washers we have found Mum has one in
her garage that was bought by Dad and forgotten about (until I
uncovered it the other day) and I have the Hobby so we are first going
to try those on some test areas and see how well they actually work
(or not). If they really are too slow then we will look at something
like the Boxjet / Quicky or *maybe* something petrol powered (probably
with a brass Interpump pump and a Honda engine).

Cheers, T i m

Honda + Interpump = good.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 30 Mar 2016 23:38:32 +0100, David Lang
wrote:

On 30/03/2016 22:40, T i m wrote:
On Wed, 30 Mar 2016 21:19:57 +0100, gremlin_95
wrote:

snip

[...]

Yes, I thought that might be the case (and was already suggested here
/ the Wiki etc).

The little Karcher K2 is supposed to be 110 x 6 / 600 = 1.1 and my
little 'Kew Hobby' (that weighs about 5 x that of the K2) is 70 x 5.5
/ 600 = .64. ;-(

And the 110 bar is probably what we used to call "marketing bar" :-)

Yeah. ;-)

The weight difference is universal motor v induction motor.

And plastic v metal (even some alloy) pump I'm assuming?

However, at least the spec on the Hobby gives a Max of 90 bar so it
suggests it's being honest with the 70. ;-)

Since asking about these pressure washers we have found Mum has one in
her garage that was bought by Dad and forgotten about (until I
uncovered it the other day) and I have the Hobby so we are first going
to try those on some test areas and see how well they actually work
(or not). If they really are too slow then we will look at something
like the Boxjet / Quicky or *maybe* something petrol powered (probably
with a brass Interpump pump and a Honda engine).

Cheers, T i m

Honda + Interpump = good.

Good (if not generally cheap).

But what do they say, 'Buy cheap buy twice' but that said, if it come
with a 3 year warranty, you don't 'abuse' it and it had the minimum
specs in the first place you can have some 'cheap' stuff that lasts
for ages.

Cheers, T i m

p.s. Daughter bought the Lidl Li drill, jigsaw and circular saw when
it came up here a bit back. I borrowed and used all of them the other
day and found them more than serviceable, cutting up a 2.5m x 5 plank
T&G pine 'board' I'd glued up to make some display stand side cheeks.

The only 'surprise' was how fast the circular saw finally cut out (I
did the whole job with just 2 batteries used across all the tools),
I'm more used to stuff dying more slowly (Nicad / NiMH etc).