Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Sweeping Brushes (Nerdy)

whenever I rent a villa I realise that sweeping brush heads are fitted in a
way that the bristles are in line with the pole. Here we tend to have the
head at about 15 degrees. Aldi and Lidl are selling the in-line type - but
angled ones are our norm.
Can we expect an EU ruling????
Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

"DerbyBorn" wrote in message
2.222...
whenever I rent a villa I realise that sweeping brush heads are fitted in
way that the bristles are in line with the pole. Here we tend to have the
head at about 15 degrees. Aldi and Lidl are selling the in-line type - but
angled ones are our norm.
Can we expect an EU ruling????

I would expect that a brush works best when its bristles are perpendicular
to the floor/patio being swept, so all the bristles make contact at the same
time. That means putting the handle at an angle to the head, otherwise you
have to use the brush with the handle vertical and the head very close to
your feet.

I wonder why non-UK brushes don't have the handle at an angle to the head.
Easier to make, or something more than that - do other countries use brushes
in a different way to us? Maybe we could learn something from them. Or maybe
they could learn something from us. I suspect the latter, but then maybe I'm
biassed.

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I suspect a different action- one of flicking the dust to one side.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"NY" wrote in message
o.uk...
"DerbyBorn" wrote in message
2.222...
whenever I rent a villa I realise that sweeping brush heads are fitted in
way that the bristles are in line with the pole. Here we tend to have the
head at about 15 degrees. Aldi and Lidl are selling the in-line type -
but
angled ones are our norm.
Can we expect an EU ruling????

I would expect that a brush works best when its bristles are perpendicular
to the floor/patio being swept, so all the bristles make contact at the
same time. That means putting the handle at an angle to the head,
otherwise you have to use the brush with the handle vertical and the head
very close to your feet.

I wonder why non-UK brushes don't have the handle at an angle to the head.
Easier to make, or something more than that - do other countries use
brushes in a different way to us?

Yes, some of them do, but even in Britain there are some
brooms that have the bristles in line with the handle.
http://www.northerntool.com/images/p..._2000x2000.jpg

Maybe we could learn something from them. Or maybe they could learn
something from us.

Or maybe not.

I suspect the latter, but then maybe I'm biassed.

No maybe about it, everyone is.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
I wonder why non-UK brushes don't have the handle at an angle to the
head. Easier to make, or something more than that - do other countries
use brushes in a different way to us?

Yes, some of them do, but even in Britain there are some
brooms that have the bristles in line with the handle.
http://www.northerntool.com/images/p..._2000x2000.jpg

I'm meaning brushes with short hard bristles on a head about 9" wide - for
sweeping a patio etc. Not those with long soft bristles which will bend to
take up any imperfections in the surface or compensate for the bristles not
being perpendicular to the floor.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"DerbyBorn" wrote in message
2.222...
whenever I rent a villa I realise that sweeping brush heads are fitted in a
way that the bristles are in line with the pole. Here we tend to have the
head at about 15 degrees. Aldi and Lidl are selling the in-line type - but
angled ones are our norm.

With an angled brush, when stationary, whether you start
from in front and sweep backwards, or start behind and
sweep forwards, the angle means you can't bring the
brush past your body as your arms aren't long enough.
Basically you can only sweep half an arc.
Maybe with a straight brush you can alter the angle
as you sweep and so do a full arc front to back or
vice versa with each stroke.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

"michael adams" wrote in message
o.uk...

"DerbyBorn" wrote in message
2.222...
whenever I rent a villa I realise that sweeping brush heads are fitted in
way that the bristles are in line with the pole. Here we tend to have the
head at about 15 degrees. Aldi and Lidl are selling the in-line type -
but
angled ones are our norm.

With an angled brush, when stationary, whether you start
from in front and sweep backwards, or start behind and
sweep forwards, the angle means you can't bring the
brush past your body as your arms aren't long enough.
Basically you can only sweep half an arc.
Maybe with a straight brush you can alter the angle
as you sweep and so do a full arc front to back or
vice versa with each stroke.

Why would anyone want to sweep from in front of the body to behind it, or
vice versa? I tend to brush (normally away from me) in strokes of maybe two
feet, that distance being governed by how far I can comfortably extend my
arms straight, starting from the rest position close to my body with my
elbows bent.

Have I been sweeping differently to some people for most of my 50 years? I'd
have to be a contortionist to start sweeping with the brush head initially
behind me and end the stroke with it in front of me!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"NY" wrote in message
o.uk...
"michael adams" wrote in message
o.uk...

"DerbyBorn" wrote in message
2.222...
whenever I rent a villa I realise that sweeping brush heads are fitted
in a
way that the bristles are in line with the pole. Here we tend to have
the
head at about 15 degrees. Aldi and Lidl are selling the in-line type -
but
angled ones are our norm.

With an angled brush, when stationary, whether you start
from in front and sweep backwards, or start behind and
sweep forwards, the angle means you can't bring the
brush past your body as your arms aren't long enough.
Basically you can only sweep half an arc.
Maybe with a straight brush you can alter the angle
as you sweep and so do a full arc front to back or
vice versa with each stroke.

Why would anyone want to sweep from in front of the body to behind it,

Street sweepers do that quite a bit.

or vice versa? I tend to brush (normally away from me) in strokes of maybe
two feet, that distance being governed by how far I can comfortably extend
my arms straight, starting from the rest position close to my body with my
elbows bent.

But you don’t do that when sweeping away from a wall in front of you.

Have I been sweeping differently to some people for most of my 50 years?

Yes, particularly differently to some street sweepers.

I'd have to be a contortionist to start sweeping with the brush head
initially behind me and end the stroke with it in front of me!

But not the other way, with the head starting in front of you and
ending up behind you.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I was a bit confused here. Ther are two types of head about, some with a
hole in the middle and angled bristles and some with the hole to one side
and straight bristles. It sounds to me like the continentals have not
cottonned on to the reason for the angle.
Of course the Irish ones have a bent handle no doubt.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
2.222...

Chimney sweeping... Tim Watts UK diy 13 March 28th 10 09:26 PM
Chimney Sweeping [email protected] Home Repair 4 September 15th 07 03:30 PM
Chimney Sweeping Log [email protected] Home Repair 9 January 9th 05 08:31 PM
CSL Chimney Sweeping Log [email protected] Home Ownership 1 January 7th 05 04:37 PM
sweeping a chimney jon ringwood UK diy 5 January 2nd 05 09:25 AM