DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Pipe "bangs" when dishwasher fill valve closes (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/391776-pipe-bangs-when-dishwasher-fill-valve-closes.html)

[email protected] March 11th 16 10:10 AM

Pipe "bangs" when dishwasher fill valve closes

There's a loud bang every time my dishwasher fill valve turns off - it's
just a single loud bang (rather than the typical hammering from a dodgy
tap jumper or ball valve) but the valve turns on/off quite a few times
during a wash so it gets annoying and I worry about the possible effect
on pipe joints.
It's annoyed me for well over a year but now I've got the right tuit,
the question is where to start: replace the valve, fit a restrictor, fit
an anti-hammer widget, or ... ?

Andy Burns[_12_] March 11th 16 10:23 AM

wrote:

There's a loud bang every time my dishwasher fill valve turns off

A fitted one of the anti-hammer devices (sioux chief from toolstation)
immediately after the internal stopcock. Initially it made a lot of
difference to "clangs" both from my washing machine and those coming
from external supply pipe.

Now the occasional clang gets through again, don't know if that means
e.g. some grit is starting to block the piston and it might become less
and less effective over time?

F[_2_] March 11th 16 03:33 PM

On 11/03/2016 10:10, wrote:
There's a loud bang every time my dishwasher fill valve turns off - it's
just a single loud bang (rather than the typical hammering from a dodgy
tap jumper or ball valve) but the valve turns on/off quite a few times
during a wash so it gets annoying and I worry about the possible effect
on pipe joints.
It's annoyed me for well over a year but now I've got the right tuit,
the question is where to start: replace the valve, fit a restrictor, fit
an anti-hammer widget, or ... ?

Just over a year? Just over 37 years here!

I fitted a water hammer device and it doesn't work.

DerbyBorn[_5_] March 11th 16 04:43 PM

Pipe "bangs" when dishwasher fill valve closes

F news@nowhere wrote in
o.uk:

On 11/03/2016 10:10, wrote:
There's a loud bang every time my dishwasher fill valve turns off - it's
just a single loud bang (rather than the typical hammering from a dodgy
tap jumper or ball valve) but the valve turns on/off quite a few times
during a wash so it gets annoying and I worry about the possible effect
on pipe joints.
It's annoyed me for well over a year but now I've got the right tuit,
the question is where to start: replace the valve, fit a restrictor, fit
an anti-hammer widget, or ... ?

Just over a year? Just over 37 years here!

I fitted a water hammer device and it doesn't work.

I get it if I leave my hose pipe connected to the outside tap with the tap
on and the valve at the far end turned off.

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] March 11th 16 06:01 PM

On 11/03/16 15:33, F wrote:
On 11/03/2016 10:10, wrote:
There's a loud bang every time my dishwasher fill valve turns off - it's
just a single loud bang (rather than the typical hammering from a dodgy
tap jumper or ball valve) but the valve turns on/off quite a few times
during a wash so it gets annoying and I worry about the possible effect
on pipe joints.
It's annoyed me for well over a year but now I've got the right tuit,
the question is where to start: replace the valve, fit a restrictor, fit
an anti-hammer widget, or ... ?

Just over a year? Just over 37 years here!

I fitted a water hammer device and it doesn't work.

Plastic pipe is much worse for this

Anti-hammer kit should work, IF it is fitted in the right place

...I'd spend it on drink.

Sir Henry (at Rawlinson's End)