Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Highly flexible floor tile grout

I have a tiled bathroom floor which has a little flex in it and thus the grout keeps crumbling in the same area.

I don't want to rip up the floor and re-do it with a layer of thicker ply underneath, though I know that would be the propoer solution.

Is there such a thing as a highly flexible grout ?

Is it possible to make a regular grout flexible by adding something to it ?

Maybe I should just scrap out all the grout and apply something else - some sort of silicone product ? (don't laugh - jut looking for ideas)

Thanks

cf
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The problem is that assuming rigid tiles, then if you use sealant you stand
a very good chance of one of two thingsh happening
1 Tiles wobble and crack
2 Tiles fall off the job, as it were when the sealant gives up the ghost.

No I don't know the answer either but I've been in bathrooms like this in
cheap and not so cheap bed and breakfasts myself in the past and I guess it
should have been made with plastic tiles or floor covering.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!

?

Maybe I should just scrap out all the grout and apply something else -
some sort of silicone product ? (don't laugh - jut looking for ideas)

Thanks

cf

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
cf-leeds wrote:

Is it possible to make a regular grout flexible by adding something to it ?

No. I very much doubt it!

Maybe I should just scrap out all the grout and apply something else -
some sort of silicone product ? (don't laugh - jut looking for ideas)

You know the correct solution, so I'll ignore that. If it was me looking
to bodge this, I'd go for one of the polyurethane sealants as they are
amazingly sticky as well, so less likely to come away and leak?

something like http://www.toolstation.com/shop/cheese/p67949 maybe?

In fact, that even says "for sealing floor joints in ceramic installations"

Good luck...

Darren

Posted to uk.d-i-y

If the floor is flexing because it is the ply that is moving then it will not be long before the tiles loosen and crack. You may not neccesarily need to replace the ply rather decrease the spacing between the screws. If the floor is moving because the joists are flexing then it is doomed. Tiles are best on solid floors when applied to suspended timber floors you have to get everything from joists to the tiling surface absolutely stable.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/02/2016 10:26, Tricky Dicky wrote:
If the floor is flexing because it is the ply that is moving then it
will not be long before the tiles loosen and crack. You may not
neccesarily need to replace the ply rather decrease the spacing
between the screws. If the floor is moving because the joists are
flexing then it is doomed. Tiles are best on solid floors when
applied to suspended timber floors you have to get everything from
joists to the tiling surface absolutely stable.

Richard

A high modulus silicone would be my bodge of choice. Masking tape for a
neat job

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Stuart Noble wrote:
On 29/02/2016 10:26, Tricky Dicky wrote:
If the floor is flexing because it is the ply that is moving then it
will not be long before the tiles loosen and crack. You may not
neccesarily need to replace the ply rather decrease the spacing
between the screws. If the floor is moving because the joists are
flexing then it is doomed. Tiles are best on solid floors when
applied to suspended timber floors you have to get everything from
joists to the tiling surface absolutely stable.

Richard

A high modulus silicone would be my bodge of choice. Masking tape for a
neat job

Yes. I have a home made shower cubical. Consists of a brick outside wall
with the others being stud, and all on a suspended wood floor in an old
house. There was enough movement over time to crack the grouting where the
stud walls met the brick one. Silicone did the trick nicely.

--
*I wish the buck stopped here. I could use a few.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lee Lee is offline

On 29/02/2016 08:46, cf-leeds wrote:

Is there such a thing as a highly flexible grout ?

There is (at least was), we did our bouncy kitchen floor with it, never
did set completely hard. Also quite grainy and difficult to get a nice
smooth finish on. Sort of like car body filler when the resin is a bit
old and you haven't added *quite enough* hardener

Not sure how waterproof it is, it's been ok in the kitchen but not sure
I'd trust it in a bathroom ...