Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Done it - new combi.

Just popped in to SF and bought this little toy
http://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-gsb-...bi-drill/7649h

Decided that I CBA with new batteries, on-line ordering etc. (and a nice day
to be out).
Haven't tried it in anger yet, but it feels good.
About 5mm shorter than the Mak. 12V and 40mm shorter than the Mak. 18V
combi.

Now have a Mak. combi looking for a deserving owner, for the cost of getting
it there.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
PeterC wrote:
Just popped in to SF and bought this little toy
http://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-gsb-...bi-drill/7649h

Decided that I CBA with new batteries, on-line ordering etc. (and a nice
day to be out). Haven't tried it in anger yet, but it feels good. About
5mm shorter than the Mak. 12V and 40mm shorter than the Mak. 18V combi.

Wonder just how much better it is than the Lidl one plus extra battery at
60 quid? The drill spec looks pretty well identical. But no side handle
provision. And has it a 3 year money back warranty?

Basically, I'm not convinced Bosch are in the same league as Makita.

--
*Some days we are the flies; some days we are the windscreen.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 23 Feb 2016 16:45:35 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
PeterC wrote:
Just popped in to SF and bought this little toy
http://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-gsb-...bi-drill/7649h

Decided that I CBA with new batteries, on-line ordering etc. (and a nice
day to be out). Haven't tried it in anger yet, but it feels good. About
5mm shorter than the Mak. 12V and 40mm shorter than the Mak. 18V combi.

Wonder just how much better it is than the Lidl one plus extra battery at
60 quid? The drill spec looks pretty well identical.

But only a 1.5Ah battery I believe?

But no side handle
provision.

And both sides. ;-)

And has it a 3 year money back warranty?

Basically, I'm not convinced Bosch are in the same league as Makita.

We might be able to let you know how the Lidl one performs as daughter
bought herself one (well, she actually bought the set). ;-)

From the little play I had with all of them the other day I'd say they
feel ok. The drill (mechanics) feel pretty substantial and quite
torquey (when you stop the chuck against the clutch with your hand).

The circular saw has a cast base and a laser alignment that looks like
it would be fine for more rough_and_ready cutting. The jigsaw has
quite a good range of speed, a toolless / quick change mech for the
blade and like the circular saw, an adjustable guide. The jigsaw also
has a plastic cover for the plate to prevent scratching.

As was mentioned on the previous thread on the subject. Even if she
mainly uses the drill, she's now got 3 batteries *and* 3 chargers so
if she has access to mains she stands a good chance of being able to
use the drill all day. ;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
T i m wrote:
We might be able to let you know how the Lidl one performs as daughter
bought herself one (well, she actually bought the set). ;-)

From the little play I had with all of them the other day I'd say they
feel ok. The drill (mechanics) feel pretty substantial and quite
torquey (when you stop the chuck against the clutch with your hand).

The circular saw has a cast base and a laser alignment that looks like
it would be fine for more rough_and_ready cutting. The jigsaw has
quite a good range of speed, a toolless / quick change mech for the
blade and like the circular saw, an adjustable guide. The jigsaw also
has a plastic cover for the plate to prevent scratching.

As was mentioned on the previous thread on the subject. Even if she
mainly uses the drill, she's now got 3 batteries *and* 3 chargers so
if she has access to mains she stands a good chance of being able to
use the drill all day. ;-)

I've had the drill and jigsaw for a few months now. They've had the sort
of light use I'd normally give such things. Happy enough with both.
Particularly like the easy blade change on the jigsaw, as it's something I
do frequently. My mains Bosch one with a different easy change mechanism
broke it. But it is quite old.

Just got the circular saw the other day, so not yet used it.

--
*If at first you don't succeed, redefine success.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 23 Feb 2016 17:36:29 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
T i m wrote:
We might be able to let you know how the Lidl one performs as daughter
bought herself one (well, she actually bought the set). ;-)

snip

I've had the drill and jigsaw for a few months now.

Ok.

They've had the sort
of light use I'd normally give such things.

That is also daughters predicted uses for them.

Happy enough with both.

Cool. ;-)

Particularly like the easy blade change on the jigsaw, as it's something I
do frequently.

It looked 'good' and I'm glad it works equally as well.

My mains Bosch one with a different easy change mechanism
broke it. But it is quite old.

My Bosch has the Allen screw / bridge type mech.

Just got the circular saw the other day, so not yet used it.

Ok. I have some woodwork to do so might ask to borrow 'her' tools for
a change. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/02/2016 17:08, T i m wrote:
On Tue, 23 Feb 2016 16:45:35 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
PeterC wrote:
Just popped in to SF and bought this little toy
http://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-gsb-...bi-drill/7649h

Decided that I CBA with new batteries, on-line ordering etc. (and a nice
day to be out). Haven't tried it in anger yet, but it feels good. About
5mm shorter than the Mak. 12V and 40mm shorter than the Mak. 18V combi.

Wonder just how much better it is than the Lidl one plus extra battery at
60 quid? The drill spec looks pretty well identical.

But only a 1.5Ah battery I believe?

But no side handle
provision.

And both sides. ;-)

And has it a 3 year money back warranty?

Basically, I'm not convinced Bosch are in the same league as Makita.

The 'basic' Bosch stuff is quite average IME, and on a par with the
Lidl/Aldi offerings. I've used one of the Bosch 10V pro drills, and that
feels much nicer.

We might be able to let you know how the Lidl one performs as daughter
bought herself one (well, she actually bought the set). ;-)

From the little play I had with all of them the other day I'd say they
feel ok. The drill (mechanics) feel pretty substantial and quite
torquey (when you stop the chuck against the clutch with your hand).

The Lidl drill LED is infuriating if using driver bits etc - the focus
is nowhere near the target. The Bosch looks to be better in that regard.
But in most other areas the spec looks suspiciously similar.

The circular saw has a cast base and a laser alignment that looks like
it would be fine for more rough_and_ready cutting. The jigsaw has
quite a good range of speed, a toolless / quick change mech for the
blade and like the circular saw, an adjustable guide. The jigsaw also
has a plastic cover for the plate to prevent scratching.

I've been using the jigsaw for the last few days and it's just fine.
I've done some test cuts with the circular saw, and again, fine, without
the sense of dread my cheap mains one gives. Almost a false sense of
security . . .

As was mentioned on the previous thread on the subject. Even if she
mainly uses the drill, she's now got 3 batteries *and* 3 chargers so
if she has access to mains she stands a good chance of being able to
use the drill all day. ;-)

Early summer for me :-)

--
Cheers, Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
RJH wrote:
The Lidl drill LED is infuriating if using driver bits etc - the focus
is nowhere near the target. The Bosch looks to be better in that regard.
But in most other areas the spec looks suspiciously similar.

The position of the LED means the chuck masks the light with a short bit.
It's ok for drilling. Not really sure how you could improve things, unless
you could design a shorter chuck and torque clutch. If you can find the
longer screwdriver bits or use an extension, it's ok.

--
*If at first you do succeed, try not to look too astonished.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 24 Feb 2016 00:26:00 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
RJH wrote:
The Lidl drill LED is infuriating if using driver bits etc - the focus
is nowhere near the target. The Bosch looks to be better in that regard.
But in most other areas the spec looks suspiciously similar.

The position of the LED means the chuck masks the light with a short bit.
It's ok for drilling. Not really sure how you could improve things, unless
you could design a shorter chuck and torque clutch. If you can find the
longer screwdriver bits or use an extension, it's ok.

I think the only way is with the LED lower in the handle or some such,
so it shine up and therefore paints a beam of light over a bigger
area?

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 24 February 2016 01:34:05 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
RJH wrote:
The Lidl drill LED is infuriating if using driver bits etc - the focus
is nowhere near the target. The Bosch looks to be better in that regard.
But in most other areas the spec looks suspiciously similar.

The position of the LED means the chuck masks the light with a short bit.
It's ok for drilling. Not really sure how you could improve things, unless
you could design a shorter chuck and torque clutch. If you can find the
longer screwdriver bits or use an extension, it's ok.

If you could mount a circular (array of) LED(s) actually in the chuck,
it would work. You'd have to power it from some sort of slip ring, but
given the current is trivial, that could be made to work.

.... but I agree decent light in the room (or at worst, a head-torch which pretty much *has* to illuminate the area I'm looking at).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 23 Feb 2016 18:23:15 +0000, RJH wrote:

Basically, I'm not convinced Bosch are in the same league as Makita.

The 'basic' Bosch stuff is quite average IME, and on a par with the
Lidl/Aldi offerings. I've used one of the Bosch 10V pro drills, and that
feels much nicer.

Yes, I've a 10.8V Bosch Pro DD and it seems better than the Mak 12V DD
somehow.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 23 February 2016 16:47:13 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
PeterC wrote:

Just popped in to SF and bought this little toy
http://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-gsb-...bi-drill/7649h

Decided that I CBA with new batteries, on-line ordering etc. (and a nice
day to be out). Haven't tried it in anger yet, but it feels good. About
5mm shorter than the Mak. 12V and 40mm shorter than the Mak. 18V combi.

Wonder just how much better it is than the Lidl one plus extra battery at
60 quid? The drill spec looks pretty well identical. But no side handle
provision. And has it a 3 year money back warranty?

Basically, I'm not convinced Bosch are in the same league as Makita.

I've seen Mak & Bosch angle grinders torn down, the Mak is way better.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"PeterC" wrote in message

Just popped in to SF and bought this little toy
http://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-gsb-...bi-drill/7649h

If only you'd lashed out another £1,100, you could have got a Bosch with 3
batteries ;-)

http://tinyurl.com/h3g38rb
or
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bosch-18v-...AOxyQfJTfJY U

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 23 Feb 2016 15:20:47 +0000
PeterC wrote:

Just popped in to SF and bought this little toy
http://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-gsb-...bi-drill/7649h

Decided that I CBA with new batteries, on-line ordering etc. (and a
nice day to be out).
Haven't tried it in anger yet, but it feels good.
About 5mm shorter than the Mak. 12V and 40mm shorter than the Mak. 18V
combi.

Now have a Mak. combi looking for a deserving owner, for the cost of
getting it there.

And I thought you were talking about installing a new boiler!

--
Davey.

Combi ? joe UK diy 6 December 2nd 08 12:24 AM
Combi & UFH 51 UK diy 1 October 12th 06 01:05 PM
WICKS combi 82, Halstead combi boiler [email protected] UK diy 3 September 12th 05 02:02 AM
Advice any combi or Vaillant Combi 828plus in loft? elad UK diy 6 January 27th 05 10:19 PM
Which combi? Rob Bradley UK diy 3 October 4th 04 11:19 PM