Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default LED or Rough Service for shock resilience?

Which would you expect to be more resilient to shock, a rough service
filament light bulb or a LED bulb (both B22)?

--
Michael Chare

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 21 Feb 2016 23:48:06 +0000, Michael Chare
wrote:

Which would you expect to be more resilient to shock, a rough service
filament light bulb or a LED bulb (both B22)?

The LED lamp by a long margin.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 21 February 2016 23:48:09 UTC, Michael Chare wrote:
Which would you expect to be more resilient to shock, a rough service
filament light bulb or a LED bulb (both B22)?

LED by a very long way

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On Sunday, 21 February 2016 23:48:09 UTC, Michael Chare wrote:
Which would you expect to be more resilient to shock, a rough service
filament light bulb or a LED bulb (both B22)?

LED by a very long way

NT

Perhaps this wouldn't be a good choice though. ;-)

https://www.ledhut.co.uk/4-watt-bayo...FeTnwgodvTQAbQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/02/2016 09:35, Tim+ wrote:
wrote:
On Sunday, 21 February 2016 23:48:09 UTC, Michael Chare wrote:
Which would you expect to be more resilient to shock, a rough service
filament light bulb or a LED bulb (both B22)?

LED by a very long way

NT

Perhaps this wouldn't be a good choice though. ;-)

https://www.ledhut.co.uk/4-watt-bayo...FeTnwgodvTQAbQ

I nearly bought the candle version of those, but they did not have the
light output I wanted. (Not for my inspection lamp.) Are they any good?

--
Michael Chare

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/02/2016 10:34, Michael Chare wrote:
On 22/02/2016 09:35, Tim+ wrote:
wrote:
On Sunday, 21 February 2016 23:48:09 UTC, Michael Chare wrote:
Which would you expect to be more resilient to shock, a rough service
filament light bulb or a LED bulb (both B22)?

LED by a very long way

NT

Perhaps this wouldn't be a good choice though. ;-)

https://www.ledhut.co.uk/4-watt-bayo...FeTnwgodvTQAbQ

I nearly bought the candle version of those, but they did not have the
light output I wanted. (Not for my inspection lamp.) Are they any good?

IME they are excellent - I much prefer them to the "normal" format of
LED lamp, since their light output is pretty much as omnidirectional
like a normal filament lamp. So they work very well in cap down
orientation, or when fully enclosed in the type of shade or luminaire
that benefits from all round light distribution.

The light quality also does not (to my eyes anyway) have that slightly
odd greeny/yellow quality that you get with some LEDs - they are the
closest thing I have seen to a filament lamp so far.

(I have a mixture of the 40W and 60W equivalent ones).

BTW, order them from trade.ledhut.co.uk if you can, and they are cheaper
than from the retail site.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

LED.
However that is not to say that some constructions are better than others
of both types of light.

Brian

"Michael Chare" wrote in message

Which would you expect to be more resilient to shock, a rough service
filament light bulb or a LED bulb (both B22)?

--
Michael Chare

---

----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Brian Gaff wrote:
LED. However that is not to say that some constructions are better than
others of both types of light.

I'd assumed all LEDs had a pretty robust anode and cathode. Unlike the
filament in a incandescent lamp.

--
*Organized Crime Is Alive And Well; It's Called Auto Insurance. *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Brian Gaff wrote:
LED. However that is not to say that some constructions are better than
others of both types of light.

I'd assumed all LEDs had a pretty robust anode and cathode.

You might be assuming incorrectly. I've no idea how robust these "pseudo
filament" bulbs are but they're bound to be more fragile that a pcb mounted
led.

https://www.ledhut.co.uk/4-watt-bayo...FeTnwgodvTQAbQ

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim+ wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Brian Gaff wrote:
LED. However that is not to say that some constructions are better
than others of both types of light.

I'd assumed all LEDs had a pretty robust anode and cathode.

You might be assuming incorrectly. I've no idea how robust these "pseudo
filament" bulbs are but they're bound to be more fragile that a pcb
mounted led.

Could well be. But then I've no interest in them. The question was about
rough service against LED, so I assumed something like an inspection lamp.
Not decoration for a whore's parlour.

--
*Few women admit their age; fewer men act it.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Tim+ wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Brian Gaff wrote:
LED. However that is not to say that some constructions are better
than others of both types of light.

I'd assumed all LEDs had a pretty robust anode and cathode.

You might be assuming incorrectly. I've no idea how robust these "pseudo
filament" bulbs are but they're bound to be more fragile that a pcb
mounted led.

Could well be. But then I've no interest in them. The question was about
rough service against LED, so I assumed something like an inspection lamp.
Not decoration for a whore's parlour.

If "rough service" is your thing, I'm sure that there are whores' parlours
that can accommodate you. ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 22 Feb 2016 10:34:34 +0000, Michael Chare
wrote:

I nearly bought the candle version of those, but they did not have the
light output I wanted. (Not for my inspection lamp.) Are they any good?

The mechnical stability can be ssen he

https://youtu.be/H_XiunR-cAQ

He's handling and bending the strip; it breaks once bent at an angle, see 1:50
or so...

Thomas Prufer
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim+ wrote:
Could well be. But then I've no interest in them. The question was about
rough service against LED, so I assumed something like an inspection
lamp. Not decoration for a whore's parlour.

If "rough service" is your thing, I'm sure that there are whores'
parlours that can accommodate you. ;-)

Very true. ;-)

--
*Also too, never, ever use repetitive redundancies *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Brian Gaff wrote:
LED. However that is not to say that some constructions are better than
others of both types of light.

I'd assumed all LEDs had a pretty robust anode and cathode.

Not those LEDs that look like incandescent filaments.

Unlike the filament in a incandescent lamp.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/02/2016 23:48, Michael Chare wrote:

Which would you expect to be more resilient to shock, a rough service
filament light bulb or a LED bulb (both B22)?

It all depends on how the additional components in the LED bulb are
mounted. Most of the support components for LED bulbs are just mounted
on a small circuit board loosely fitted in the base of the bulb. They
may be the point of failure when subjected to shock.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/02/2016 11:34, Brian Gaff wrote:
LED.
However that is not to say that some constructions are better than
others of both types of light.

Out of curiosity I have dissected my first LED lamp failure and was
slightly surprised to find that the long (52) LED chain is still perfect
but the power supply has failed. I checked all the diodes manually and
in series. So it looks like LED lamps fail the same way as CFLs but a
bit more slowly since they generate somewhat less heat.

I suspect it will be a cooked dried out PSU capacitor. That require a
second level of careful cutting into the body to investigate.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown