Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default (Easy) Emergency lighting?

Hi all,

I recently asked about the use of a UPS added into a domestic lighting
circuit to give instant 'whole house' cover in the event of a power
failure / cut.

I was thinking further ... 'I wonder if you can get a battery
backed-up ceiling rose' and it looks like you can ...

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technic.../Housesafe.pdf

.... or could: ;-(

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/HS724.html

Does anyone know of a similar solution that isn't discontinued please
as I would be very keen to install something like that here (in say
the hall and landing) and similar at my Mums (especially as it also
includes a smoke detector / alarm).

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"T i m" wrote in message
Hi all,

I recently asked about the use of a UPS added into a domestic lighting
circuit to give instant 'whole house' cover in the event of a power
failure / cut.

I was thinking further ... 'I wonder if you can get a battery
backed-up ceiling rose' and it looks like you can ...

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technic.../Housesafe.pdf

... or could: ;-(

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/HS724.html

Does anyone know of a similar solution that isn't discontinued please

Emergency lighting is one obvious approach that does that.

as I would be very keen to install something like that
here (in say the hall and landing) and similar at my Mums
(especially as it also includes a smoke detector / alarm).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 17 Feb 2016 11:29:32 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

"T i m" wrote in message
.. .
Hi all,

I recently asked about the use of a UPS added into a domestic lighting
circuit to give instant 'whole house' cover in the event of a power
failure / cut.

I was thinking further ... 'I wonder if you can get a battery
backed-up ceiling rose' and it looks like you can ...

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technic.../Housesafe.pdf

... or could: ;-(

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/HS724.html

Does anyone know of a similar solution that isn't discontinued please

Emergency lighting is one obvious approach that does that.

It is, but generally requires you to replace the existing light, often
using something that looks like an emergency / exit light.

An 'emergency rose', such as the one mentioned above would negate
that.

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , T i m
writes
On Wed, 17 Feb 2016 11:29:32 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

"T i m" wrote in message
. ..
Hi all,

I recently asked about the use of a UPS added into a domestic lighting
circuit to give instant 'whole house' cover in the event of a power
failure / cut.

I was thinking further ... 'I wonder if you can get a battery
backed-up ceiling rose' and it looks like you can ...

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technic.../Housesafe.pdf

... or could: ;-(

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/HS724.html

Does anyone know of a similar solution that isn't discontinued please

Emergency lighting is one obvious approach that does that.

It is, but generally requires you to replace the existing light, often
using something that looks like an emergency / exit light.

An 'emergency rose', such as the one mentioned above would negate
that.

You can get kits to convert standard light fittings to emergency ones.

The kit can be hidden above the ceiling..

eg random google link:

http://www.emergency-lighting-direct...ersion-kits.ht
ml
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"T i m" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 17 Feb 2016 11:29:32 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

"T i m" wrote in message
. ..
Hi all,

I recently asked about the use of a UPS added into a domestic lighting
circuit to give instant 'whole house' cover in the event of a power
failure / cut.

I was thinking further ... 'I wonder if you can get a battery
backed-up ceiling rose' and it looks like you can ...

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technic.../Housesafe.pdf

... or could: ;-(

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/HS724.html

Does anyone know of a similar solution that isn't discontinued please

Emergency lighting is one obvious approach that does that.

It is, but generally requires you to replace the existing light,

No need to do that.

often using something that looks like an emergency / exit light.

They don't all look like that.

An 'emergency rose', such as the one
mentioned above would negate that.

But arent common at all if they even exist.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 17 Feb 2016 15:47:01 +0000, Chris French
wrote:
snip

An 'emergency rose', such as the one mentioned above would negate
that.

You can get kits to convert standard light fittings to emergency ones.

Ah, interesting.

The kit can be hidden above the ceiling..

Oh so more suited to the down lighters and the like?

eg random google link:

http://www.emergency-lighting-direct...ersion-kits.ht
ml

Hmm, I hadn't though of this but is this:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/jobrg3h

.... the sort of thing that would go in a slimline 75W 6' std flouro
fitting (I think it will)?

I'm not sure from reading the datasheet if the light will still be
available for typical use (with the std light switch) in the event of
a power failure?

That would be good but what would be better was that it comes on
automatically in the event of a power failure (say you were cooking in
the kitchen) but you could still turn it off to conserve power? If it
came on when you were out then at least you wouldn't be cooking, even
if it was flat when you got home to find the power was cut 1/3 hours
previously. (I also like the idea that you could replace the
batteries).

http://www.emergency-lighting-direct.co.uk/media/uploads/Ultimo_data_sheet(2).pdf

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 18 Feb 2016 06:08:17 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

news
wrote:

"T i m" wrote in message
Hi all,

I recently asked about the use of a UPS added into a domestic lighting
circuit to give instant 'whole house' cover in the event of a power
failure / cut.

I was thinking further ... 'I wonder if you can get a battery
backed-up ceiling rose' and it looks like you can ...

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technic.../Housesafe.pdf

... or could: ;-(

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/HS724.html

Does anyone know of a similar solution that isn't discontinued please

Emergency lighting is one obvious approach that does that.

It is, but generally requires you to replace the existing light,

No need to do that.

Why not?

often using something that looks like an emergency / exit light.

They don't all look like that.

Apart from the one I linked to they all either go inside an existing
lamp or go in the space above the ceiling.

An 'emergency rose', such as the one
mentioned above would negate that.

But arent common at all if they even exist.

They exist because I linked to one.

The Housesafe site is back up and it looks like they still sell them
even if TLC don't:

http://shop.housesafe.com/shop/9-mai...ling-rose.html

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"T i m" wrote in message
On Thu, 18 Feb 2016 06:08:17 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

"T i m" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 17 Feb 2016 11:29:32 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

"T i m" wrote in message
m...
Hi all,

I recently asked about the use of a UPS added into a domestic lighting
circuit to give instant 'whole house' cover in the event of a power
failure / cut.

I was thinking further ... 'I wonder if you can get a battery
backed-up ceiling rose' and it looks like you can ...

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technic.../Housesafe.pdf

... or could: ;-(

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/HS724.html

Does anyone know of a similar solution that isn't discontinued please

Emergency lighting is one obvious approach that does that.

It is, but generally requires you to replace the existing light,

No need to do that.

Why not?

For the reason the emergency lighting kits don't.

often using something that looks like an emergency / exit light.

They don't all look like that.

Apart from the one I linked to they all either go inside an existing
lamp or go in the space above the ceiling.

Some emergency lights don't look like emergency lights.

An 'emergency rose', such as the one
mentioned above would negate that.

But arent common at all if they even exist.

They exist because I linked to one.

The Housesafe site is back up and it looks like they still sell them
even if TLC don't:

http://shop.housesafe.com/shop/9-mai...ling-rose.html

That's not an emergency light.

Emergency Lighting (Part 2) Graeme UK diy 3 April 2nd 07 04:34 PM
Emergency Lighting Tournifreak UK diy 8 March 30th 07 07:31 AM
Emergency Lighting Steve Lowe UK diy 16 January 22nd 07 11:33 AM