Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Do NOT do this!

Shove a baking potato into the microwave oven. It's the healthy option,
better than chips.
Try to set the warp drive power and the timer, but you don't understand how
to do it but hope for the best.
Go do something else and forget all about it.
Hear the smoke alarm going off, house full of smoke, potato the size of a
marble and black.
Interior of the microwave now a brown/yellow colour that cannot be scrubbed
off.
24 hours later the house still stinks of smoke. So does the microwave.
Microwave at the end of the driveway awaiting the passing of the pikey scrap
man.
It was only 6 months old ------------

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 14 Feb 2016 19:59:08 -0000, "Mr Pounder Esquire"
wrote:

24 hours later the house still stinks of smoke. So does the microwave.
Microwave at the end of the driveway awaiting the passing of the pikey scrap
man.

So the man who hates Council properties decides to make the place look
like one , might as well stick a vinyl plastic settee and a sign
saying "Twinned with Tower Hamlets" as well.

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Mr Pounder Esquire" wrote in message

The pikey scrap man only patrols decent estates. If you lived in such, you
would know this.

Any evidence or proof of this statement?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:
"Mr Pounder Esquire" wrote in message

The pikey scrap man only patrols decent estates. If you lived in
such, you would know this.

Any evidence or proof of this statement?

Loads. But you would not understand as you know your station in life.
I know that you live in a **** council house on a **** council estate.
If you had grown a pair you would not be living where you are.
I see no need to provide anything to scum council trash, not even a drink of
water in the desert.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

ARW wrote:
"Mr Pounder Esquire" wrote in message

The pikey scrap man only patrols decent estates. If you lived in
such, you would know this.

Any evidence or proof of this statement?

Loads. But you would not understand as you know your station in life.
I know that you live in a **** council house on a **** council estate.
If you had grown a pair you would not be living where you are.
I see no need to provide anything to scum council trash, not even a drink
of water in the desert.

It's not me that has thrown a ****ed microwave into the street because I was
too stupid to know how to use it.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 14 Feb 2016 20:48:59 -0000, "Mr Pounder Esquire"

wrote:

Microwave at the end of the driveway awaiting the passing
of the pikey scrap man.

So the man who hates Council properties decides to make the place look
like one ,

The pikey scrap man only patrols decent estates. If you lived in such, you
would know this.

When as I do you don't live in an estate council or private the
difference between them decent or otherwise is immaterial.

Pikeys don't come around here as it would cost them too much in fuel
and time to make any money from the the thinly spread population.

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I had an interesting discussion on this issue with the head of rubbish at
our local council the other day who said they frown on people doing this, as
although often the item is taken, the folk who take it rapidly strip out
everything they can that will give them a return then abandon the rest as a
fly tip later on giving the council a major mess to clear up.
Brian

wrote:

24 hours later the house still stinks of smoke. So does the
microwave. Microwave at the end of the driveway awaiting the passing
of the pikey scrap man.

So the man who hates Council properties decides to make the place look
like one , might as well stick a vinyl plastic settee and a sign
saying "Twinned with Tower Hamlets" as well.

The pikey scrap man only patrols decent estates. If you lived in such, you
would know this.

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bob Eager wrote:
The solution is that the council stops charging an arm and a leg to take
or accept the stuff.

Yes. If a council tip refuses to take certain types of stuff, the
temptation is to dump it on the town hall steps.

--
*Save the whale - I'll have it for my supper*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
jkn jkn is offline

On Sunday, February 14, 2016 at 7:59:28 PM UTC, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
Shove a baking potato into the microwave oven. It's the healthy option,
better than chips.
Try to set the warp drive power and the timer, but you don't understand how
to do it but hope for the best.
Go do something else and forget all about it.
Hear the smoke alarm going off, house full of smoke, potato the size of a
marble and black.
Interior of the microwave now a brown/yellow colour that cannot be scrubbed
off.
24 hours later the house still stinks of smoke. So does the microwave.
Microwave at the end of the driveway awaiting the passing of the pikey scrap
man.
It was only 6 months old ------------

I managed to make a microwave go up in smoke once, and get three fire appliances come out, by heating up a vegetable samosa in it.

There is a metallo-chromic effect that can occur with the 'eyes' of potatoes
which can cause them to have the same effect as putting metal in a microwave.
This one reason at least why you won't microwave instructions on the side
of the samosa packet.

So you might have had trouble even apart from leaving it on too long...

J^n
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

Out of curiosity I've just dragged it into the garage and plugged it in.
Nothing happened. The fuse is okay.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"jkn" wrote in message
[...]

I don't believe that. I have been doing potatoes in the microwave for
decades
now, in fact it's the main veg I have most evening meals, a whole potato
on the plate I will eat the meal from, in a rigid plastic cover that goes
over the
entire plate. The frozen peas and corn and beans in a glass cup in the
microwave
with them. The rest of the meal usually from the glass convection oven.

This one reason at least why you won't microwave instructions on the side
of the samosa packet.

That wouldn't be because of any effect with the potatoes in the microwave.

So you might have had trouble even apart from leaving it on too long...

Nope, been doing it for more than 45 years now, never had a problem.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
jkn jkn is offline

On Sunday, February 14, 2016 at 11:55:48 PM UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
"jkn" wrote in message
[...]

The event hasn't stopped me cooking potatoes (and samosas) in microwaves
either. However, the risk is there. Having performed the assessment exercise ;-o
I now make sure I am in the room and keep an eye on the oven for any smoke.

J^n
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

I don't believe that. Why should the eye be any
different to the rest of the potato when microwave ?

Having performed the assessment exercise ;-o

What assessment exercise ?

I now make sure I am in the room and
keep an eye on the oven for any smoke.

Never had any smoke and never had any
eyes end up any different to the rest of the
potato either and I deliberately don't peel
the potatoes when microwaving them like
that so I can't be removing the eyes that way.

I only peel the potatoes when roasting in a
non microwave oven and am considering not
peeling those now too. I like eating the skins
when I do them in the microwave as above.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
jkn wrote:
There is a metallo-chromic effect that can occur with the 'eyes' of
potatoes which can cause them to have the same effect as putting metal
in a microwave. This one reason at least why you won't microwave
instructions on the side of the samosa packet.

Sticking a teaspoon etc in a glass of milk is a good way to heat it evenly
in a microwave without it boiling over.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

pamela wrote
jkn wrote
Mr Pounder Esquire wrote

[...]

Metallo-chronic sounds scientific but this video explains it another
way. It says pointy food in a microwave can cause sparks to fly.

Never had that. And I do have pointy bits quite a bit, particularly
with the glass cup of frozen peas beans and corn mix which I
have about half the time, with some of the longer beans sticking
up out of the top of the cup because I have pushed them down
as far as they go when filling the cup before microwaving it.

Maybe those potatoes were old and the sprouting bits were pointy.

I normally break those off before microwaving whole potatoes
and do get quite a few of those at the end of the 5KG bag.

Should be easy enough to verify but it's not really
interesting enough to make me rush and try it. :-)

I basically try it about half the time and done get that effect.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...the-microwave-
video_n_5642108.html

That's talking about metal, not pointy food.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"pamela" wrote in message
On 23:20 16 Feb 2016, pamela wrote:

snip

Rod, thanks for your replies in the homebuilt group. I'll need
time to digest your points as I've been getting some bad days
recently when my mind gets cloudier than usual.

Don't go far because, years ago in another place, I came to
respect your expertise in hard drives and will probably need more
of your help to fix that failed XP partition.

Cough, choke, splutter.
He must like you, mostly we get verbal abuse and large helpings of bull****.
This with a side order of - stating the bleedin' obvious and hindsight.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"pamela" wrote in message
On 23:20 16 Feb 2016, pamela wrote:

On 21:56 16 Feb 2016, Rod Speed wrote:

pamela wrote
jkn wrote
Mr Pounder Esquire wrote

------------

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/04/metal-in-the-
microwave-video_n_5642108.html

That's talking about metal, not pointy food.

The video mentions pointy food at 2m14s and shows a frankfurter.
I'm not saying any of it is true.

-----

By the way, over in uk.comp.homebuilt I'm asking about backing
up and repairing a failing XP partition on a 250 GB Samsung
Spinpoint SP2514N.

At the moment I'm trying to back it up onto a new drive (perhaps
this will be an SSD which I know little about) and then work on
performing a repair. It's the sort of thing you used to get
involved in years ago and I would welcome any input. Here's one
message from my thread:

Subject: Delivery protection for hard drive from Amazon
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt

Please don't start a flame fest and scare everyone off! :-)

Rod, thanks for your replies in the homebuilt group. I'll need
time to digest your points as I've been getting some bad days
recently when my mind gets cloudier than usual.

Don't go far because, years ago in another place, I came to
respect your expertise in hard drives and will probably need
more of your help to fix that failed XP partition.

No problem, I'll be around forever.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , pamela
escribió:

Don't go far because, years ago in another place, I came to
respect your expertise in hard drives and will probably need more
of your help to fix that failed XP partition.

shrug

On your own head be it. He's a notorious nym-morphing troll who thinks
he knows everything but in fact knows the square root of ****-all.
You'd have to be mad to take his advice.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) Bunny says: Windows 10? Nein danke!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

in 1461262 20160218 150954 pamela wrote:
On 07:21 18 Feb 2016, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

En el art�culo , pamela
escribi�:

Don't go far because, years ago in another place, I came to
respect your expertise in hard drives and will probably need
more of your help to fix that failed XP partition.

shrug

On your own head be it. He's a notorious nym-morphing troll who
thinks he knows everything but in fact knows the square root of
****-all. You'd have to be mad to take his advice.

Hello Mike. Rod has helped me with hard drives in the past so I
want to pick his brains now that I've hit a problem.

I see you and Rod don't get on, which is a pity because you have
been very helpful to me in dealing with the same hard drive
problem. I hope you'll still answer my questions even if Rod is
also helping because what you have been saying is valuable.

I try and stay out of arguments. When I first met Rod, he and
another poster were exchanging very heated views. I tried to be a
peacemaker but gave up. It would be nice if you and Rod could get
on but sometimes it can't happen. :-(

Yes, Rodders is a Jekyll and Hyde character.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 14 Feb 2016 19:59:08 +0000, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

Microwave at the end of the driveway awaiting the passing of the pikey
scrap man.

I'm sure your local Roma community will happily assist you in its
removal. And much else besides should you leave your garage unlocked.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Should it not be the person who should suffer.
Actually, I'd say that its debatable that you cannot remove this mess. Most
modern microwaves have a system to shut them off if things start to go bad
in the way you describe. Consider paying a little more and get one with
safely features next time. Mine if the item inside does not absorb the
rays, cuts off, it alls cuts off if significant smoke appears, and has
helpful hints that tell you what to do with stuff like you were putting into
it. However mine talks to me in a very serious English male voice and I
often find myself telling it that I know its not what it said but I'm doing
it anyway.
Brian

"Mr Pounder Esquire" wrote in message
Shove a baking potato into the microwave oven. It's the healthy option,
better than chips.
Try to set the warp drive power and the timer, but you don't understand
how to do it but hope for the best.
Go do something else and forget all about it.
Hear the smoke alarm going off, house full of smoke, potato the size of a
marble and black.
Interior of the microwave now a brown/yellow colour that cannot be
scrubbed off.
24 hours later the house still stinks of smoke. So does the microwave.
Microwave at the end of the driveway awaiting the passing of the pikey
scrap man.
It was only 6 months old ------------

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 15/02/2016 10:17, Brian Gaff wrote:
However mine talks to me in a very serious
English male voice and I often find myself telling it that I know its
not what it said but I'm doing it anyway.
Brian

Would it work better if it had a husky female voice that cajoled you
into doing the right thing?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 15 February 2016 10:25:21 UTC, GB wrote:
On 15/02/2016 10:17, Brian Gaff wrote:
However mine talks to me in a very serious
English male voice and I often find myself telling it that I know its
not what it said but I'm doing it anyway.
Brian

Would it work better if it had a husky female voice that cajoled you
into doing the right thing?

"Oh Brian! I don't think you should have put that there, you naughty
boy."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
Should it not be the person who should suffer.
Actually, I'd say that its debatable that you cannot remove this mess.
Most modern microwaves have a system to shut them off if things start to
go bad in the way you describe. Consider paying a little more and get one
with safely features next time. Mine if the item inside does not absorb
the rays, cuts off, it alls cuts off if significant smoke appears, and
has helpful hints that tell you what to do with stuff like you were
putting into it. However mine talks to me in a very serious English male
voice and I often find myself telling it that I know its not what it said
but I'm doing it anyway.

Yeah, I keep swearing at Siri when it ****s up repeatedly, usually when
its too stupid to get the street name I want to navigate to right. And it
can make some VERY pungent remarks itself when you swear at it.

"Mr Pounder Esquire" wrote in message
Shove a baking potato into the microwave oven. It's the healthy option,
better than chips.
Try to set the warp drive power and the timer, but you don't understand
how to do it but hope for the best.
Go do something else and forget all about it.
Hear the smoke alarm going off, house full of smoke, potato the size of a
marble and black.
Interior of the microwave now a brown/yellow colour that cannot be
scrubbed off.
24 hours later the house still stinks of smoke. So does the microwave.
Microwave at the end of the driveway awaiting the passing of the pikey
scrap man.
It was only 6 months old ------------

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod Speed wrote:
"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
Should it not be the person who should suffer.
Actually, I'd say that its debatable that you cannot remove this
mess. Most modern microwaves have a system to shut them off if
things start to go bad in the way you describe. Consider paying a
little more and get one with safely features next time. Mine if the item
inside does not absorb the rays, cuts off, it alls cuts off if
significant smoke appears, and has helpful hints that tell you what
to do with stuff like you were putting into it. However mine talks
to me in a very serious English male voice and I often find myself
telling it that I know its not what it said but I'm doing it anyway.

Bleach, Brillo pads and loads of elbow grease got me nowhere.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 14 February 2016 19:59:28 UTC, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
Shove a baking potato into the microwave oven. It's the healthy option,
better than chips.
Try to set the warp drive power and the timer, but you don't understand how
to do it but hope for the best.
Go do something else and forget all about it.
Hear the smoke alarm going off, house full of smoke, potato the size of a
marble and black.
Interior of the microwave now a brown/yellow colour that cannot be scrubbed
off.
24 hours later the house still stinks of smoke. So does the microwave.
Microwave at the end of the driveway awaiting the passing of the pikey scrap
man.
It was only 6 months old ------------

You're supposed to prick potatoes with a fork before microwaving.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
harry writes

You're supposed to prick potatoes with a fork before microwaving.

Agreed, although I tend to stab them with my steely knife, but the
effect is the same.

We sometimes nuke the spuds first, to cook through, then finish in the
oven to brown and crisp the skin. A soggy jacket potato is not an
attractive meal.
--
Graeme, still can't kill the beast
Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , News
escribió:

We sometimes nuke the spuds first, to cook through, then finish in the
oven to brown and crisp the skin. A soggy jacket potato is not an
attractive meal.

Prick well with a fork, rub butter or olive oil into the skin, then
sprinkle salt over so it sticks to the butter/oil, and bung in the
micro. You get nice crispy skin that way.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) Bunny says: Windows 10? Nein danke!
(")_(")

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Mike Tomlinson
writes
En el artículo , News
escribió:

We sometimes nuke the spuds first, to cook through, then finish in the
oven to brown and crisp the skin. A soggy jacket potato is not an
attractive meal.

Prick well with a fork, rub butter or olive oil into the skin, then
sprinkle salt over so it sticks to the butter/oil, and bung in the
micro. You get nice crispy skin that way.

We have jacket potato on the menu tonight, apparently. I'll try that.
Thanks, Mike.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

News wrote
harry wrote

You're supposed to prick potatoes with a fork before microwaving.

Agreed, although I tend to stab them with my steely knife,

I use a fork, mainly because you get more holes per jab.
I normally do a couple of jabs per side.

but the effect is the same.

We sometimes nuke the spuds first, to cook through,
then finish in the oven to brown and crisp the skin.

How long in the oven ?

A soggy jacket potato is not an attractive meal.

Never find them soggy myself when done in the
microwave on the plate they will be eaten from
with a rigid plastic cover over the plate. There
does end up with quite a bit of water on the
plate as it comes out of the microwave.

I hold it over the sink vertically and shake it
to get the water out. Put the plate on the
kitchen benchtop, wipe the very small
amount of water remaining on the plate
with a teatowel and then put the rest of the
food on the plate and eat it from the plate.

I also do peeled potatoes dipped in olive oil
in the glass convection oven for 1 hour at 200C
about 25% of the time for variety. I like them
both ways and clearly the oven baked potatoes
use a lot more electricity than the microwaved
ones. The microwaved ones are normally done
for 2-3 mins at full power depending on the
size of the potato and then the glass cup of
frozen peas/corn/beans for another 4 mins
with the potato. So the potato gets more time.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"harry" wrote in message
[...]

But you don't get that result when you don't.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Mr Pounder Esquire" writes:
Shove a baking potato into the microwave oven. It's the healthy option,
better than chips.
Try to set the warp drive power and the timer, but you don't understand how
to do it but hope for the best.
Go do something else and forget all about it.
Hear the smoke alarm going off, house full of smoke, potato the size of a
marble and black.
Interior of the microwave now a brown/yellow colour that cannot be scrubbed
off.
24 hours later the house still stinks of smoke. So does the microwave.
Microwave at the end of the driveway awaiting the passing of the pikey scrap
man.
It was only 6 months old ------------

I was searching the freezer one day, and came across a single serving
pack of microwave chips. It was left over from refitting the kitchen
some years before, when I'd bought them because I had several weeks of
living off the microwave and kettle in the dining room whilst there was
no kitchen. "Best before" was some years back, but what can go wrong with
microwave chips? Pop them in the microwave, and about 5 seconds later,
they explode! What happened is that they had completely freeze dried,
leaving just potato flour and oil, which as I know know is a fairly
explosive mixture. Left the glass turntable with a sizable chip in it
(not the potato kind;-).

"Best before" was not perhaps an adequate warning.

The smell lasted for days, and inside/around the microwave, for weeks.

--
Andrew Gabriel