Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Beko dryer problem

After transporting a little used dryer the length of the country to my
daughter's new flat, we plugged it in and were rewarded with an ozoneish
sort of smell and the house RCD tripping.

I've no multimeter with me but I think I've traced the problem down to this
component which receives the main power in before it all passed on to the
rest of the electronics.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jbdfr36168...2059.jpeg?dl=1

If I disconnect the mains and neutral on the machine side leaving it as the
only component on the input side, the RCD still trips.

What is it, what does it do? Is it easy to get replacements?

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 12 Feb 2016 10:25:54 +0000, Tim+ wrote:

After transporting a little used dryer the length of the country to my
daughter's new flat, we plugged it in and were rewarded with an ozoneish
sort of smell and the house RCD tripping.

I've no multimeter with me but I think I've traced the problem down to
this component which receives the main power in before it all passed on
to the rest of the electronics.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jbdfr36168...-2016%2C%2010%

2021%2059.jpeg?dl=1

If I disconnect the mains and neutral on the machine side leaving it as
the only component on the input side, the RCD still trips.

What is it, what does it do? Is it easy to get replacements?

Tim

Isn't Beko one of the companies having problems with its driers along
with Whirlpool/Indesit?

Might be worth checking out their website
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/02/16 10:25, Tim+ wrote:
After transporting a little used dryer the length of the country to my
daughter's new flat, we plugged it in and were rewarded with an ozoneish
sort of smell and the house RCD tripping.

I've no multimeter with me but I think I've traced the problem down to this
component which receives the main power in before it all passed on to the
rest of the electronics.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jbdfr36168...2059.jpeg?dl=1

If I disconnect the mains and neutral on the machine side leaving it as the
only component on the input side, the RCD still trips.

What is it, what does it do? Is it easy to get replacements?

Tim

http://dryersafety.beko.co.uk/

Some friends unfortunately had a bad fire with theirs

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/02/2016 10:25, Tim+ wrote:
After transporting a little used dryer the length of the country to my
daughter's new flat, we plugged it in and were rewarded with an ozoneish
sort of smell and the house RCD tripping.

I've no multimeter with me but I think I've traced the problem down to this
component which receives the main power in before it all passed on to the
rest of the electronics.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jbdfr36168...2059.jpeg?dl=1

If I disconnect the mains and neutral on the machine side leaving it as the
only component on the input side, the RCD still trips.

What is it, what does it do? Is it easy to get replacements?

Tim

Try "beko mains suppressor filter" on ebay. You may have to bodge if
you can't find an exact replacement.

It's not at all unlikely that this failing caused the trip.

Cheers
--
Syd
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/02/2016 11:05, Syd Rumpo wrote:
On 12/02/2016 10:25, Tim+ wrote:
[...]

And it'll probably work perfectly well without it - it's for stopping
electrical noise from the dryer interfering with other things. Try it
without to make sure the dryer's working before you buy a new part.

Cheers
--
Syd

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian Caspersz wrote:
On 12/02/16 10:25, Tim+ wrote:
After transporting a little used dryer the length of the country to my
daughter's new flat, we plugged it in and were rewarded with an ozoneish
sort of smell and the house RCD tripping.

I've no multimeter with me but I think I've traced the problem down to this
component which receives the main power in before it all passed on to the
rest of the electronics.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jbdfr36168...2059.jpeg?dl=1

If I disconnect the mains and neutral on the machine side leaving it as the
only component on the input side, the RCD still trips.

What is it, what does it do? Is it easy to get replacements?

Tim

http://dryersafety.beko.co.uk/

Some friends unfortunately had a bad fire with theirs

Thanks but we've checked the model number. Not affected fortunately.

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Syd Rumpo wrote:
On 12/02/2016 10:25, Tim+ wrote:
After transporting a little used dryer the length of the country to my
daughter's new flat, we plugged it in and were rewarded with an ozoneish
sort of smell and the house RCD tripping.

I've no multimeter with me but I think I've traced the problem down to this
component which receives the main power in before it all passed on to the
rest of the electronics.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jbdfr36168...2059.jpeg?dl=1

If I disconnect the mains and neutral on the machine side leaving it as the
only component on the input side, the RCD still trips.

What is it, what does it do? Is it easy to get replacements?

Tim

Try "beko mains suppressor filter" on ebay. You may have to bodge if
you can't find an exact replacement.

It's not at all unlikely that this failing caused the trip.

Cheers

Thanks. Seems this unit has a reputation for going bang and it's been
changed for a different type.

Local factor has ordered one and hopefully for £9.99 +VAT we'll be all
sorted by next week.

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Does this mean the fuse in the plug does not blow? This is a bit odd and as
I cannot see your picture, it could be that the component is a filter device
to either stop the device shoving grot up the mains or to protect the
device from dirty or spiky mains.
Has it been in a damp place unused for some months?
I guess removing it as long as the outputs and the input is the same piece
of foil is fine. However if its actually a power transformer then your only
source will be the makers.
This company used to have a bad reputation for reliability, and this may be
one of those machines of course. The newer ranges are a lot better according
to those I know who have them, but they are not built really well as they
tend to be budget items so moving it a lot might take its toll.
Brian

"Tim+" wrote in message
After transporting a little used dryer the length of the country to my
daughter's new flat, we plugged it in and were rewarded with an ozoneish
sort of smell and the house RCD tripping.

I've no multimeter with me but I think I've traced the problem down to
this
component which receives the main power in before it all passed on to the
rest of the electronics.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jbdfr36168...2059.jpeg?dl=1

If I disconnect the mains and neutral on the machine side leaving it as
the
only component on the input side, the RCD still trips.

What is it, what does it do? Is it easy to get replacements?

Tim

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/02/16 10:25, Tim+ wrote:
After transporting a little used dryer the length of the country to my
daughter's new flat, we plugged it in and were rewarded with an ozoneish
sort of smell and the house RCD tripping.

I've no multimeter with me but I think I've traced the problem down to this
component which receives the main power in before it all passed on to the
rest of the electronics.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jbdfr36168...2059.jpeg?dl=1

If I disconnect the mains and neutral on the machine side leaving it as the
only component on the input side, the RCD still trips.

What is it, what does it do? Is it easy to get replacements?

Tim

Beko actually make driers in the UK, and that's a multiple kerpuffitor
which presumably has kerpuffed.

I am sure that you can get a new one for small beer.

or condoning; the full, exact, specific meaning of collectivism, of its
logical implications, of the principles upon which it is based, and of
the ultimate consequences to which these principles will lead. They must
face it, then decide whether this is what they want or not.

Ayn Rand.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

No my thoughts too, I had one go on an old hi fi. The smell was less like
Ozone, more like rotten meat and ****.
I often wonder what they put into capacitors these days.
!
Brian

"Syd Rumpo" wrote in message
On 12/02/2016 10:25, Tim+ wrote:
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/02/16 11:31, Brian Gaff wrote:
No my thoughts too, I had one go on an old hi fi. The smell was less
like Ozone, more like rotten meat and ****.
I often wonder what they put into capacitors these days.

slugs

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/02/2016 11:27, Brian Gaff wrote:
Does this mean the fuse in the plug does not blow? This is a bit odd and
as I cannot see your picture,

The device has a circuit diagram on it. It has capacitors between all
three of live, neutral, earth. There's also something else across
live-neutral - I suspect a resistor, but it's just drawn as a rectangle.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 12 Feb 2016 10:25:54 +0000, Tim+ wrote:

After transporting a little used dryer the length of the country to my
daughter's new flat, we plugged it in and were rewarded with an ozoneish
sort of smell and the house RCD tripping.

I've no multimeter with me but I think I've traced the problem down to
this component which receives the main power in before it all passed on
to the rest of the electronics.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jbdfr36168...-2016%2C%2010%

2021%2059.jpeg?dl=1

If I disconnect the mains and neutral on the machine side leaving it as
the only component on the input side, the RCD still trips.

What is it, what does it do? Is it easy to get replacements?

Tim

It's a simple mains filter designed to block noise generated by the
machine from polluting the house mains wiring with unwanted RF
interference. It even has a circuit diagram showing all the components
mounted within the earthed can.

You could simply bypass it either to test that the rest of the machine
is still working or even run it that way if you, or rather your daughter,
can live with the extra RF noise being coupled into the house mains
wiring whilst it's in use.

I think the only time I had such a filter go faulty (on a washing
machine), I simply left it out of the circuit and rejoined the wires
(blue to blue and brown to brown) to complete the circuit between the
mains cable and the machine's wiring.

The most likely victims of such a 'fix' would be any portable LW/MW
radios in the house and possibly VHF FM reception on a kitchen radio
relying on a 'bit of wire' aerial, oh and any shortwave enthusiasts in
the local neighbourhood. Also, any PLT network adapters plugged into
sockets around the house as a **** poor substitute for CAT5 connections
might (deservedly) suffer some 'payback' just for a change. :-)

--
Johnny B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 14 Feb 2016 22:31:59 +0000, Vir Campestris wrote:

On 12/02/2016 11:27, Brian Gaff wrote:
Does this mean the fuse in the plug does not blow? This is a bit odd
and as I cannot see your picture,

The device has a circuit diagram on it. It has capacitors between all
three of live, neutral, earth. There's also something else across
live-neutral - I suspect a resistor, but it's just drawn as a rectangle.

It *is* a resistor (a 1M Ohm one according to the parts list).

--
Johnny B Good

beko any good ? fred[_8_] UK diy 30 May 9th 13 11:50 AM
Beko Dishwasher ed UK diy 1 February 2nd 08 12:40 PM
BEKO TV ( chassis 12.7 ) HELP b Electronics Repair 2 February 28th 07 02:23 PM
Beko Fridge Freezer Autodefrost problem Chip UK diy 4 May 9th 06 10:37 PM
Beko TV Fault simon hanlon Electronics Repair 5 January 11th 06 08:32 PM