Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default CFL lamps in a run of lights

I have 9 16W Astro CFL bulkhead lights outside my bungalow containing
TC-DD lamps. There is an intermittent problem in which one or more of
the lamps fails to light. I don't think it can be due to the fixed
wiring, since this problem only affects intermediate lights in the run
and not the lamp at the end. The wiring is also relatively new -
provided as part of a complete rewire 2 years ago.

The problem can often be reproduced (or made worse - more lamps not
working), by switching the lights off and then on again.

Has anyone experienced similar issues - or have any explanation as to
why this is occurring? The lamps seem to be getting into a state in
which they cannot light - and this condition is being propagated to the
nearest lamps in the run.

Andrew
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andrew wrote:
I have 9 16W Astro CFL bulkhead lights outside my bungalow containing
TC-DD lamps. There is an intermittent problem in which one or more of
the lamps fails to light. I don't think it can be due to the fixed
wiring, since this problem only affects intermediate lights in the run
and not the lamp at the end. The wiring is also relatively new -
provided as part of a complete rewire 2 years ago.

The problem can often be reproduced (or made worse - more lamps not
working), by switching the lights off and then on again.

Has anyone experienced similar issues - or have any explanation as to
why this is occurring? The lamps seem to be getting into a state in
which they cannot light - and this condition is being propagated to the
nearest lamps in the run.

A loose connection in the line somewhere. Someone might have omitted to
tighten up a screw.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/02/2016 08:53, Andrew wrote:

I have 9 16W Astro CFL bulkhead lights outside my bungalow containing
TC-DD lamps. There is an intermittent problem in which one or more of
the lamps fails to light. I don't think it can be due to the fixed
wiring, since this problem only affects intermediate lights in the run
and not the lamp at the end. The wiring is also relatively new -
provided as part of a complete rewire 2 years ago.

The problem can often be reproduced (or made worse - more lamps not
working), by switching the lights off and then on again.

Has anyone experienced similar issues - or have any explanation as to
why this is occurring? The lamps seem to be getting into a state in
which they cannot light - and this condition is being propagated to the
nearest lamps in the run.

CFL lamps don't get on that well with outdoor use in winter unless they
are designed for it. Having said that it is so mild this year that I
suspect another cause is responsible. Corrosion or a loose connection
would be a possible cause of intermittent behaviour.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compac...mp#Outdoor_use

I only ever had CFLs fail at -10C or colder and usually cycling the
power after a brief warm up period would allow them to strike.

You can buy ones intended for outdoors.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

CFL lamps don't get on that well with outdoor use in winter unless they
are designed for it. Having said that it is so mild this year that I
suspect another cause is responsible. Corrosion or a loose connection
would be a possible cause of intermittent behaviour.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compac...mp#Outdoor_use

I only ever had CFLs fail at -10C or colder and usually cycling the
power after a brief warm up period would allow them to strike.

You can buy ones intended for outdoors.

Thank you for the comments. These light were sold for external use -
and have an IP65 rating.

Regards,

Andrew
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/02/2016 10:02, Andrew wrote:

CFL lamps don't get on that well with outdoor use in winter unless they
are designed for it. Having said that it is so mild this year that I
suspect another cause is responsible. Corrosion or a loose connection
would be a possible cause of intermittent behaviour.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compac...mp#Outdoor_use

I only ever had CFLs fail at -10C or colder and usually cycling the
power after a brief warm up period would allow them to strike.

You can buy ones intended for outdoors.

Thank you for the comments. These light were sold for external use -
and have an IP65 rating.

IP65 shouldn't be letting any water in or corroding.

But are the lamp tubes themselves designed with the higher mercury
vapour loading of an external use bulb? Worth checking.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Brown Wrote in message:
On 03/02/2016 10:02, Andrew wrote:

CFL lamps don't get on that well with outdoor use in winter unless they
are designed for it. Having said that it is so mild this year that I
suspect another cause is responsible. Corrosion or a loose connection
would be a possible cause of intermittent behaviour.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compac...mp#Outdoor_use

I only ever had CFLs fail at -10C or colder and usually cycling the
power after a brief warm up period would allow them to strike.

You can buy ones intended for outdoors.

Thank you for the comments. These light were sold for external use -
and have an IP65 rating.

IP65 shouldn't be letting any water in or corroding.

But are the lamp tubes themselves designed with the higher mercury
vapour loading of an external use bulb? Worth checking.

And the lamps might be IP65, but that doesn't mean they were
installed properly to maintain that rating. It doesn't mean that
if they do get damp in they might not get some corrosion.

But if some of the lamps are always lighting OK then a problem
with the fixed seems out.

Thoughts:

Is it the same lamps that don't light?

Have you swapped bulbs between those which light reliably and
those which don't? Any difference?

If it is just the same lamps with worn he problem then I'd suspect
something dodgy about the electronics in the lamp
unit

Chris French

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris French wrote:
Martin Brown Wrote in message:

And the lamps might be IP65, but that doesn't mean they were
installed properly to maintain that rating. It doesn't mean that
if they do get damp in they might not get some corrosion.

Anything is possible, but the installer had a meticulous approach - and
as well as being a working electrician, he is also an instructor

Thoughts:

Is it the same lamps that don't light?

Have you swapped bulbs between those which light reliably and
those which don't? Any difference?

If it is just the same lamps with worn he problem then I'd suspect
something dodgy about the electronics in the lamp
unit

As far as I can gather it is always the penultimate one in the run which
initially fails to light. So this one may be faulty. But it seems
strange how with switching on and off the problem can propagate along
the run towards the switch, the the last light at the end of the run is
always working.

I have not tried changing the lamps yet - but I also note that each
light contains a separate electronic module which may also be faulty.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andrew wrote:
I have 9 16W Astro CFL bulkhead lights outside my bungalow containing
TC-DD lamps. There is an intermittent problem in which one or more of
the lamps fails to light. I don't think it can be due to the fixed
wiring, since this problem only affects intermediate lights in the run
and not the lamp at the end. The wiring is also relatively new -
provided as part of a complete rewire 2 years ago.

The problem can often be reproduced (or made worse - more lamps not
working), by switching the lights off and then on again.

Has anyone experienced similar issues - or have any explanation as to
why this is occurring? The lamps seem to be getting into a state in
which they cannot light - and this condition is being propagated to the
nearest lamps in the run.

Are they on a timeswitch or PIR etc? Or just switched normally?

--
*Change is inevitable ... except from vending machines *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Andrew wrote:
I have 9 16W Astro CFL bulkhead lights outside my bungalow containing
TC-DD lamps. There is an intermittent problem in which one or more of
the lamps fails to light. I don't think it can be due to the fixed
wiring, since this problem only affects intermediate lights in the run
and not the lamp at the end. The wiring is also relatively new -
provided as part of a complete rewire 2 years ago.

The problem can often be reproduced (or made worse - more lamps not
working), by switching the lights off and then on again.

Has anyone experienced similar issues - or have any explanation as to
why this is occurring? The lamps seem to be getting into a state in
which they cannot light - and this condition is being propagated to the
nearest lamps in the run.

Are they on a timeswitch or PIR etc? Or just switched normally?

Just switched normally,

Regards,

Andrew
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 3 February 2016 08:53:31 UTC, Andrew wrote:
I have 9 16W Astro CFL bulkhead lights outside my bungalow containing
TC-DD lamps. There is an intermittent problem in which one or more of
the lamps fails to light. I don't think it can be due to the fixed
wiring, since this problem only affects intermediate lights in the run
and not the lamp at the end. The wiring is also relatively new -
provided as part of a complete rewire 2 years ago.

The problem can often be reproduced (or made worse - more lamps not
working), by switching the lights off and then on again.

Has anyone experienced similar issues - or have any explanation as to
why this is occurring? The lamps seem to be getting into a state in
which they cannot light - and this condition is being propagated to the
nearest lamps in the run.

Andrew

Probably tubes are getting borderline.
Cold or voltage happens to be a bit low can affect them when they are ready to fail.

In days of yore, heat from conventional light bulbs dried out the inside of the fitting.
With CFLs you might get condensation causing corrosion/tracking. Esp, with electronic components in the CFL.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Andrew" wrote in message
I have 9 16W Astro CFL bulkhead lights outside my bungalow containing TC-DD
lamps. There is an intermittent problem in which one or more of the lamps
fails to light. I don't think it can be due to the fixed wiring, since
this problem only affects intermediate lights in the run and not the lamp
at the end. The wiring is also relatively new - provided as part of a
complete rewire 2 years ago.

The problem can often be reproduced (or made worse - more lamps not
working), by switching the lights off and then on again.

Has anyone experienced similar issues - or have any explanation as to why
this is occurring? The lamps seem to be getting into a state in which
they cannot light - and this condition is being propagated to the nearest
lamps in the run.

2 years is about right to replace the lamps in those sort of fittings.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andrew wrote:
I have 9 16W Astro CFL bulkhead lights outside my bungalow containing
TC-DD lamps. There is an intermittent problem in which one or more of
the lamps fails to light. I don't think it can be due to the fixed
wiring, since this problem only affects intermediate lights in the run
and not the lamp at the end. The wiring is also relatively new -
provided as part of a complete rewire 2 years ago.

The problem can often be reproduced (or made worse - more lamps not
working), by switching the lights off and then on again.

Has anyone experienced similar issues - or have any explanation as to
why this is occurring? The lamps seem to be getting into a state in
which they cannot light - and this condition is being propagated to the
nearest lamps in the run.

Some of these small low priced florries have dreadful electronics. Tubes
can give problems due to ageing long before they would in a decent fitting.

Try a new tube and see if it fixes that one. If it does, you may have to
replace them all on a regular basis. Although new tubes of a decent brand
may sort it anyway. If not, you might have to consider the costs of
replacing the fittings.

--
*I finally got my head together, now my body is falling apart.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" Wrote in message:
In article ,
Andrew wrote:
[...]

You can get LED replacements for 2D bulbs, dunno what the
cost/performance is like.

Chris French

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris French wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" Wrote in message:

Some of these small low priced florries have dreadful electronics. Tubes
can give problems due to ageing long before they would in a decent fitting.

Try a new tube and see if it fixes that one. If it does, you may have to
replace them all on a regular basis. Although new tubes of a decent brand
may sort it anyway. If not, you might have to consider the costs of
replacing the fittings.

I will try replacing the tubes and see how things go.

Regarding quality fittings - what would you recommend? Some changes had
to occur during the course of the rewire, due to the unforseen
circumstances - and the arrangements of the outside lights was one of
them. Whilst I had to make some quick choices, my intention was quality
rather than bargain basement fittings. Determining quality often seems
to be difficult these days, with price not always being a reliable guide.

Thank you for your help.

Andrew
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andrew wrote:
Chris French wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" Wrote in message:

Some of these small low priced florries have dreadful electronics.
Tubes can give problems due to ageing long before they would in a
decent fitting.

Try a new tube and see if it fixes that one. If it does, you may have
to replace them all on a regular basis. Although new tubes of a
decent brand may sort it anyway. If not, you might have to consider
the costs of replacing the fittings.

I will try replacing the tubes and see how things go.

Try replacing just the one in the fitting which shows the most problems.

Regarding quality fittings - what would you recommend? Some changes had
to occur during the course of the rewire, due to the unforseen
circumstances - and the arrangements of the outside lights was one of
them. Whilst I had to make some quick choices, my intention was quality
rather than bargain basement fittings. Determining quality often seems
to be difficult these days, with price not always being a reliable guide.

CPC do generally sell quality stuff, unless on special offer.

But I've never been a lover of 2D tubes anyway. We had some at work as
wall lights in the lift area which were on 24/7. Always seemed to be one
or more not working, while the standard overhead florries went on for
ever.

Thank you for your help.

Andrew

--
*A day without sunshine is like... night.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

better than the 2D and they last a lot longer.

from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Andrew wrote:
[...]

For some reason the 2D LED replacement lamps are relatively expensive IMHO.

--
Adam