Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Triton shower: service or replace

I have an old Triton shower (Brazilia, branded version of similar to
T100e) which is 15 years old. It's done sterling service (gets used
once a day on average); the heater was replaced about 7 years ago after
a cut-out (& engineer call-out). It's recently started to kettle
significantly, and there was a cut-out about a month ago (I seem to
recall there was a hiccup in the water supply which probably caused the
over-heat cut-out) but it reset itself after I ran cold through it for a
few mins.

I'm think it's time to look at replacing it before it fails completely.
I don't really want to have to hack the wall & tiling around. I've
looked at the closest Triton replacement, with a view to getting the
water and cable inlets matched as closely as possible, and getting the
unit (box) about the same size (as there's limited space for an increase
in unit size as the unit is tucked in a corner). I'm not having much
success as most the current units seem 100-200mms larger (height and
width), and it's not clear whether the cable and water inlets would
match, even if they were the correct sides (right/left).

Triton do have an easi-fit model which has flexibility in the water and
cable inlets. However, they won't offer to do a replacement as they say
the existing shower is too old for them to know what they'd be getting
themselves into if they did undertake to do a replacement (sounds like
they've learnt from experience).

I've thought to look at getting a third-party engineer/plumber in to do
a service in case it's just the heater that needs replacing. There are
a few companies around who seem to offer servicing for Triton showers.
I'm in North Yorkshire/Lancashire, so most of the likely canditates for
servicing are not close by! I have a good idea of what a new shower
would cost, and then there'll be labour on top, so balancing that
against the cost of servicing and possible a replacement heater and
getting someone in from 40-50 miles away is a sum that has to be thought
about!

What does the group think? Replace (with all the hassle on sizing,
conections that might entail) or repair/service?

TIA
Allan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Allan wrote:
[...]

Sounds like you've had your money's worth out of it but if you really don't
want the hassle of replacement/retiling then DIY de-scaling sounds like it
would be worth doing.

Have a look at this.

http://youtu.be/UH5r6w3cj0E

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 26 January 2016 10:06:29 UTC, Allan wrote:

[...]

Forget replacing the shower, just raise it up 8' & add 20 drain heat exchangers. At 99% efficiency your body heat will quickly make the water warm

I'd see how accessible the element is and descale it. An hour's messing might well have it all sorted out.

NT

Possible Triton shower low pressure fix Tricky Dicky[_4_] UK diy 1 June 14th 15 12:55 PM
Microswitches for Triton shower Clive George UK diy 10 January 15th 10 06:48 PM
One of those weeks/Triton Shower Clint Sharp UK diy 4 April 2nd 09 11:02 PM
Leaking Triton Shower Thomarse UK diy 0 December 12th 06 09:18 AM
Triton Power Shower Dragon77 UK diy 0 January 22nd 05 08:52 PM