Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Versatile drill

I've had my little Black & Decker two speed rotary drill since the
early '70's.

Screwfix are offering:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-gsb1...bi-drill/9647j

or would I be better with

http://www.screwfix.com/p/hitachi-dv...bi-drill/8652f

I'm looking for occasional use around the house, getting screws in and
out, occasional brick, might hit the odd lintel. The attic has been
floorboarded and screwed so if I want to get at anything a bit of help
would do.

PS I recently resurrected an old Stanley hand-drill which had been
neglected in a dilapitated shed and used it today to drill some small
holes for curtain pole supports. Something very satisfying and
controlled about hand-drilling even if somewhat inefficient.

--
AnthonyL
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I would go for the Bosch even though recharging is 10mins longer the all metal gearbox swings it for me not sure what is in the Hitachi.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/01/2016 14:28, Tricky Dicky wrote:

I would go for the Bosch even though recharging is 10mins longer the all metal gearbox swings it for me not sure what is in the Hitachi.

Richard

I dunno but my last battery powered drill was a Hitachi from Screwfix.
It has had moderate to heavy use on a range of materials.

I am in the market for a new one after about 5 years. I won't be buying
that brand again. The chuck has all but given up the will to grip drills
and one of the batteries is on the edge of expiring too. The battery
catches are also iffy and require prizing the old packs out with a
screwdriver whilst pressing them (possibly because the packs have
swollen slightly). I would run it into the ground if my patience allows
but the chuck having become unreliable is the last straw.

Its predecessor on basic NiCads lasted more like 10 years and only
failed when metal swarf got into the motor causing it to burn out.

Any other recommendations for a decent battery powered drill that will
do general screwdriver functions and hammer settings as well?

Also in the market for a cheap and cheerful Aldi/Lidl one to leave
permanently at my mums to save taking mine every time I need one.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
AnthonyL wrote:
I've had my little Black & Decker two speed rotary drill since the
early '70's.

Screwfix are offering:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-gsb1...bi-drill/9647j

or would I be better with

http://www.screwfix.com/p/hitachi-dv...bi-drill/8652f

I'm looking for occasional use around the house, getting screws in and
out, occasional brick, might hit the odd lintel. The attic has been
floorboarded and screwed so if I want to get at anything a bit of help
would do.

If it really is occasional use and you expect a long life, stay clear of
cordless. The batteries will fail long before the machine does. And may
well need charging before you can use it anyway.

--
*Middle age is when it takes longer to rest than to get tired.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
AnthonyL wrote:
I've had my little Black & Decker two speed rotary drill since the
early '70's.

Screwfix are offering:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-gsb1...bi-drill/9647j

or would I be better with

http://www.screwfix.com/p/hitachi-dv...bi-drill/8652f

I'm looking for occasional use around the house, getting screws in and
out, occasional brick, might hit the odd lintel. The attic has been
floorboarded and screwed so if I want to get at anything a bit of help
would do.

If it really is occasional use and you expect a long life, stay clear of
cordless. The batteries will fail long before the machine does. And may
well need charging before you can use it anyway.

Agreed. A cheap mains hammer drill from the likes of Aldi/lidl will do
nearly all you require of it and even if it dies after 10 years, it wont
owe you anything.
Battery tools need regular use so they will be ready charged when you
want them. Don't expect more than a few (5?) years life (irrespective of
level of use) from a battery pack.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 17 January 2016 14:51:55 UTC, Bob Minchin wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
AnthonyL wrote:
I've had my little Black & Decker two speed rotary drill since the
early '70's.

Screwfix are offering:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-gsb1...bi-drill/9647j

or would I be better with

http://www.screwfix.com/p/hitachi-dv...bi-drill/8652f

Both are well OTT for occasional use.

I'm looking for occasional use around the house, getting screws in and
out, occasional brick, might hit the odd lintel. The attic has been
floorboarded and screwed so if I want to get at anything a bit of help
would do.

A JCB, black & decker etc NiCd/NiMH 14v drill would be plenty

If it really is occasional use and you expect a long life, stay clear of
cordless. The batteries will fail long before the machine does. And may
well need charging before you can use it anyway.

yes... they're very handy, but for occasional use the batteries will be flat, and waiting a few hours is far from handy.

Agreed. A cheap mains hammer drill from the likes of Aldi/lidl will do
nearly all you require of it and even if it dies after 10 years, it wont
owe you anything.

.... but you'll get better service from your 1970s B&D. They're deeply out of fashion but are surprisingly able, and very reliable.

Battery tools need regular use so they will be ready charged when you
want them. Don't expect more than a few (5?) years life (irrespective of
level of use) from a battery pack.

yep. In your situation I might stick with the old B&D. Better certainly exists, but I don't think you'll get what you want in a cordless.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On Sunday, 17 January 2016 14:51:55 UTC, Bob Minchin wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
AnthonyL wrote:
[...]

I'd assumed that the B&D had finally died? Agree that an old all metal
70s B&D is the best option - even picking up another from the same era
rather than buy new anything.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 17 January 2016 16:35:07 UTC, Bob Minchin wrote:
tabbypurr wrote:
On Sunday, 17 January 2016 14:51:55 UTC, Bob Minchin wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
AnthonyL wrote:
[...]

If it's dead, I'd look for something more modern as those lack reverse & hammer. But a more modern one won't have anything like the longevity. If another old B&D is offered for next to nothing, it's not a bad deal, as long as you have other drills for hammer action etc. I did some core drilling once with an ancient B&D, 270w or something, and it did just as well as a modern drill despite the power rating difference. (There was some problem with the shank that made it impossible to use the SDS.)

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/01/2016 16:34, Bob Minchin wrote:

Both are well OTT for occasional use.

It isn't how occasional the job is, it's what the occasional job is.
Even if you only drill brick once a flood you need SDS.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 17 Jan 2016 16:34:50 +0000, Bob Minchin

On Sunday, 17 January 2016 14:51:55 UTC, Bob Minchin wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
AnthonyL wrote:
[...]

No - it's still going - and no - it's not the metal one either. But
it doesn't do screws - it doesn't do hammer. Just pure rotation at
900rpm and 2400rpm.

However I don't mind not having cordless so I'll look around for a
mains driven unit which can sit in its box for a year and still work
when SWIMBO needs something doing.

--
AnthonyL

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/01/2016 15:12, wrote:

yes... they're very handy, but for occasional use the batteries will
be flat, and waiting a few hours is far from handy.

That's far less of an issue with LIon batteries IME. I find I can leave
them untouched for months and still have useful charge in them.

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Bob Minchin
writes
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
AnthonyL wrote:
I've had my little Black & Decker two speed rotary drill since the
early '70's.

Screwfix are offering:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-gsb1...h-li-ion-cordl
ess-combi-drill/9647j

or would I be better with

http://www.screwfix.com/p/hitachi-dv...i-ion-cordless
-combi-drill/8652f

I'm looking for occasional use around the house, getting screws in and
out, occasional brick, might hit the odd lintel. The attic has been
floorboarded and screwed so if I want to get at anything a bit of help
would do.

If it really is occasional use and you expect a long life, stay clear of
cordless. The batteries will fail long before the machine does. And may
well need charging before you can use it anyway.

Agreed. A cheap mains hammer drill from the likes of Aldi/lidl will do
nearly all you require of it and even if it dies after 10 years, it
wont owe you anything.
Battery tools need regular use so they will be ready charged when you
want them. Don't expect more than a few (5?) years life (irrespective
of level of use) from a battery pack.

Though a cheapy drill probably not much good for screw driving.

Li-ion is much better though for tool batteries.

I've picked up a tool that hadn't been used for a few months and there
was still plenty of charge.

NiCd or NiMH, yep they'd have been flat.

Of the two I'd go for the Bosch, probably as much cos I've a few Bosch
tools, they have all been reliable
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/01/2016 14:51, Bob Minchin wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
AnthonyL wrote:
[...]

I really don't think I'd agree. It is a fair point that very occasional
use (a couple of times a year?) will be bad from the battery viewpoint.

But the battery drill will have far better control than a cheap mains
drill if you are using it for screws.

I use my Makita for screws more often than I use a screwdriver. E.g. for
removing and replacing the back of the washing machine the other day:
far quicker and easier.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 17 January 2016 18:12:36 UTC, newshound wrote:
On 17/01/2016 14:51, Bob Minchin wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
AnthonyL wrote:
[...]

it's bad in the sense that you'll need to wait 3 hours for it to charge first

But the battery drill will have far better control than a cheap mains
drill if you are using it for screws.

for sure

I use my Makita for screws more often than I use a screwdriver. E.g. for
removing and replacing the back of the washing machine the other day:
far quicker and easier.

yes.... once it's charged. Which takes hours.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/01/2016 19:35, wrote:
On Sunday, 17 January 2016 18:12:36 UTC, newshound wrote:
On 17/01/2016 14:51, Bob Minchin wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
AnthonyL wrote:
[...]

The OP was looking at drills with two batteries and a fast charger. My
Makita charges in less than an hour. I honestly think a cordless
drill/driver is one of the first tools I would recommend for basic DIY
(e.g. assembly of IKEA stuff). After screwdrivers suitable for plug tops.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/01/2016 18:12, newshound wrote:

I really don't think I'd agree. It is a fair point that very occasional
use (a couple of times a year?) will be bad from the battery viewpoint.

But the battery drill will have far better control than a cheap mains
drill if you are using it for screws.

No, money-wise a mains drill will be far better quality that a battery
drill costing the same. No batteries and charger you see.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 17 January 2016 20:54:57 UTC, Bill Wright wrote:
On 17/01/2016 18:12, newshound wrote:

I really don't think I'd agree. It is a fair point that very occasional
use (a couple of times a year?) will be bad from the battery viewpoint.

But the battery drill will have far better control than a cheap mains
drill if you are using it for screws.

No, money-wise a mains drill will be far better quality that a battery
drill costing the same. No batteries and charger you see.

better quality yes. better on screws not by a mile.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
AnthonyL wrote:
I've had my little Black & Decker two speed rotary drill since the
early '70's.

Screwfix are offering:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-gsb1...bi-drill/9647j

or would I be better with

http://www.screwfix.com/p/hitachi-dv...bi-drill/8652f

I'm looking for occasional use around the house, getting screws in and
out, occasional brick, might hit the odd lintel. The attic has been
floorboarded and screwed so if I want to get at anything a bit of help
would do.

If it really is occasional use and you expect a long life, stay clear of
cordless. The batteries will fail long before the machine does. And may
well need charging before you can use it anyway.

I've got a Bosch 18v drill with the LI-ion batteries (although mine are
3Ah) which I use only occasionally these days - mostly for winding my
caravan steadies up & down. The batteries charge in around 30 minutes
and hold their charge for months on end - unlike my older Bosch Nimh
drill. The charging time on the Screwfix one is only 50 minutes, so
wouldn't delay the job by much.

John M
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Miller" wrote in message
In article ,
AnthonyL wrote:
[...]

Yes, I have an antique Bosch one, it's been brilliant. My only gripe is that
it's always flat when I need it
Only takes 1hr to charge.
Maybe if I used a drill/driver often, i might go with corded, or, a spare
battery for the Bosch.
I think the gears must be metal, it's taken a lot of stick.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Miller wrote:
If it really is occasional use and you expect a long life, stay clear of
cordless. The batteries will fail long before the machine does. And may
well need charging before you can use it anyway.

I've got a Bosch 18v drill with the LI-ion batteries (although mine are
3Ah) which I use only occasionally these days - mostly for winding my
caravan steadies up & down. The batteries charge in around 30 minutes
and hold their charge for months on end - unlike my older Bosch Nimh
drill. The charging time on the Screwfix one is only 50 minutes, so
wouldn't delay the job by much.

But the point really was how long the batteries last before becoming scrap.

--
*The beatings will continue until morale improves *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Miller wrote:
If it really is occasional use and you expect a long life, stay clear of
cordless. The batteries will fail long before the machine does. And may
well need charging before you can use it anyway.

I've got a Bosch 18v drill with the LI-ion batteries (although mine are
3Ah) which I use only occasionally these days - mostly for winding my
caravan steadies up & down. The batteries charge in around 30 minutes
and hold their charge for months on end - unlike my older Bosch Nimh
drill. The charging time on the Screwfix one is only 50 minutes, so
wouldn't delay the job by much.

But the point really was how long the batteries last before becoming scrap.

I bought the drill in March 2011 and the batteries are still going
strong with no sign of any charging problems. I'm happy with that for
the versatility that the drill allows. I simply couldn't use a mains
drill on my caravan steadies! I have a mains drill and can't remember
the last time I used it.

John M
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Miller wrote:
In article ,
John Miller wrote:
[...]

Think you need to read the OP's post again. He has been, it seems, happy
with the same mains drill for over 40 years. Do you really expect your
batteries to last that long?

If he really needed a cordless drill, he could have bought one 20 odd
years ago. So what has changed between then and now?

--
*Toilet stolen from police station. Cops have nothing to go on.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/01/2016 12:42, AnthonyL wrote:
I've had my little Black & Decker two speed rotary drill since the
early '70's.

Screwfix are offering:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-gsb1...bi-drill/9647j

or would I be better with

http://www.screwfix.com/p/hitachi-dv...bi-drill/8652f

I'm looking for occasional use around the house, getting screws in and
out, occasional brick, might hit the odd lintel. The attic has been
floorboarded and screwed so if I want to get at anything a bit of help
would do.

The bosch is slightly lighter?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 17 Jan 2016 15:55:03 +0000, newshound wrote:

On 17/01/2016 12:42, AnthonyL wrote:
I've had my little Black & Decker two speed rotary drill since the
early '70's.

Screwfix are offering:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-gsb1...bi-drill/9647j

or would I be better with

http://www.screwfix.com/p/hitachi-dv...bi-drill/8652f

I'm looking for occasional use around the house, getting screws in and
out, occasional brick, might hit the odd lintel. The attic has been
floorboarded and screwed so if I want to get at anything a bit of help
would do.

The bosch is slightly lighter?

It's also 18mm shorter and that could be handy.
My 10.8V Bosch is so short it's useable between standard joists even with a
25mm spade bit.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away