Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default Whoops

Due to a slight tape measure miscalculation - today I drilled down through a
Post Office ceiling and not into the store room at the back of the Post
Office:-(

I did apologise to the woman in the queue that was stood under the drills
exit point - she was covered in dust and bits of plaster.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/01/2016 19:02, ARW wrote:
Due to a slight tape measure miscalculation - today I drilled down
through a Post Office ceiling and not into the store room at the back of
the Post Office:-(

I did apologise to the woman in the queue that was stood under the
drills exit point - she was covered in dust and bits of plaster.

I have thought about writing a book called 'Holes I have mis-drilled'.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 15 January 2016 20:46:32 UTC, Bill Wright wrote:
Due to a slight tape measure miscalculation - today I drilled down
through a Post Office ceiling and not into the store room at the back of
the Post Office:-(

I have thought about writing a book called 'Holes I have mis-drilled'.

It's even more fun when you compound the error by filling the hole with expanding foam, forgetting that the foam going in is coming out next door.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , ARW
writes
Due to a slight tape measure miscalculation - today I drilled down
through a Post Office ceiling and not into the store room at the back
of the Post Office:-(

I did apologise to the woman in the queue that was stood under the
drills exit point - she was covered in dust and bits of plaster.

Embarrassing :-)

I once put a 14mm SDS bit through an antique oak desk. I was drilling
an equally well calculated hole through a wall and thought that it
didn't feel quite right. The owner of the desk was remarkably calm
about it.
--
Bill
( A different one )
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/01/2016 19:02, ARW wrote:
Due to a slight tape measure miscalculation - today I drilled down
through a Post Office ceiling and not into the store room at the back of
the Post Office:-(

I did apologise to the woman in the queue that was stood under the
drills exit point - she was covered in dust and bits of plaster.

I hoped you blamed it all on an apprentice?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/01/2016 21:00, wrote:
On Friday, 15 January 2016 20:46:32 UTC, Bill Wright wrote:
Due to a slight tape measure miscalculation - today I drilled
down through a Post Office ceiling and not into the store room at
the back of the Post Office:-(

I have thought about writing a book called 'Holes I have
mis-drilled'.

It's even more fun when you compound the error by filling the hole
with expanding foam, forgetting that the foam going in is coming out
next door.

Probably not as entertaining as my cousin refurbishing his first town
house in Bath. There was a lump of bath stone sticking out of the
kitchen wall and in the way. So he started pulling and wiggling it and
sure enough it started to slide out. He was however getting a bit
alarmed at the size of the thing when it finally came free, revealing
his neighbour sat at his kitchen table, smoking his pipe, watching a bit
of his kitchen wall slowly retreating! In a thick west country accent,
he said: "Morning David, knows what you're doing do you?". Quick as a
flash, Dave replies, "yup, don't worry I will be round to re-plaster
your side later!"

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 15 Jan 2016 19:02:22 -0000, "ARW"
wrote:

Due to a slight tape measure miscalculation - today I drilled down through a
Post Office ceiling and not into the store room at the back of the Post
Office:-(

I did apologise to the woman in the queue that was stood under the drills
exit point - she was covered in dust and bits of plaster.

I once fitted a payphone on a pub wall, I put it right below a wall
light for symmetry. There were five screw holes, one in each corner
and the fifth top centre, I wish I hadn't used the latter.

Best thing was the electricians on site thought it was something they
had done when the lights went out. Didn't suspect me.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:
Due to a slight tape measure miscalculation - today I drilled down
through a Post Office ceiling and not into the store room at the back
of the Post Office:-(

I did apologise to the woman in the queue that was stood under the
drills exit point - she was covered in dust and bits of plaster.

And after the criticism you have publicly given to your various apprentices
here - what did they say to you Adam?

I could have a very good guess on that one. :-)

Cash

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:
Due to a slight tape measure miscalculation - today I drilled down through a
Post Office ceiling and not into the store room at the back of the Post
Office:-(

I did apologise to the woman in the queue that was stood under the drills
exit point - she was covered in dust and bits of plaster.

Which naturally brings to mind...

http://youtu.be/gnhYzfg7ug4

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 16 Jan 2016 00:36:27 -0000 (UTC)
Tim+ wrote:

ARW wrote:
Due to a slight tape measure miscalculation - today I drilled down
through a Post Office ceiling and not into the store room at the
back of the Post Office:-(

I did apologise to the woman in the queue that was stood under the
drills exit point - she was covered in dust and bits of plaster.

Which naturally brings to mind...

http://youtu.be/gnhYzfg7ug4

Tim

...or even:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyeMFSzPgGc

--
Davey.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote

Due to a slight tape measure miscalculation - today
I drilled down through a Post Office ceiling and not
into the store room at the back of the Post Office:-(

I did apologise to the woman in the queue that was stood under
the drills exit point - she was covered in dust and bits of plaster.

A Jap would have at least had the decency to disembowel itself.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Graham.
writes
wrote:

Due to a slight tape measure miscalculation - today I drilled down through a
Post Office ceiling and not into the store room at the back of the Post
Office:-(

I did apologise to the woman in the queue that was stood under the drills
exit point - she was covered in dust and bits of plaster.

I once fitted a payphone on a pub wall, I put it right below a wall
light for symmetry. There were five screw holes, one in each corner
and the fifth top centre, I wish I hadn't used the latter.

Best thing was the electricians on site thought it was something they
had done when the lights went out. Didn't suspect me.

I was fitting something on the utility room wall for my parents, might
have been a cupboard.

Marked it out etc. plugged a drill into the socket on the wall below and
then drilled a hole right where the cable supplying it went....

Actually, I only just nicked the cable (sheath and insulation on one of
the cores), but was still another job to do to sort it
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
ARW wrote
Due to a slight tape measure miscalculation - today I drilled down
through a Post Office ceiling and not into the store room at the back of
the Post Office:-(

I did apologise to the woman in the queue that was stood under the drills
exit point - she was covered in dust and bits of plaster.

A Jap would have at least had the decency to disembowel itself.

You might have the decency to **** off to an Ozzie group.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

A friend of mine recently discovered that the party wall between his cottage and his neighbour was only one brick thick when he drilled through.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 15 Jan 2016 23:43:07 -0800 (PST), Tricky Dicky wrote:

A friend of mine recently discovered that the party wall between his cottage and his neighbour was only one brick thick when he drilled through.

Richard

A colleague did something similar, but it also involved the waste outlet
from his washing machine!
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris French wrote:
In message , Graham.
writes
wrote:

[...]

When I was younger before asbestos killed you I was cutting a hole
through an asbestos cement wall with a circular saw for an air
conditioner and I cut through all the power circuits going to the rear
of the house finishing with the circuit the saw was connected to.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bill Wright writes:
On 15/01/2016 19:02, ARW wrote:
Due to a slight tape measure miscalculation - today I drilled down
through a Post Office ceiling and not into the store room at the back of
the Post Office:-(

I did apologise to the woman in the queue that was stood under the
drills exit point - she was covered in dust and bits of plaster.

I have thought about writing a book called 'Holes I have mis-drilled'.

Next door house was having an aerial or dish or something installed.
I wasn't paying much attention, but at one point a length of cable
was pushed out through a hole at the top of the gable wall.
Some 20 mins later more was pushed out - it dangled down to the ground.
A bit later still, more had been pushed out as it formed quite a coil
on the ground. When I looked out again, it had all gone!

Turned out, the installer had mounted the aerial (or whatever) on the
opposite end gable wall, but somehow got lost in the loft and drilled
out the wrong end of the house. Kept pushing more wire through the
hole as he couldn't see where it was coming out!

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Due to a slight tape measure miscalculation - today I drilled down through a
Post Office ceiling and not into the store room at the back of the Post
Office:-(

I did apologise to the woman in the queue that was stood under the drills
exit point - she was covered in dust and bits of plaster.

I once fitted a payphone on a pub wall, I put it right below a wall
light for symmetry. There were five screw holes, one in each corner
and the fifth top centre, I wish I hadn't used the latter.

Best thing was the electricians on site thought it was something they
had done when the lights went out. Didn't suspect me.

Did something similar when mounting a distribution board in a computer
room. Put it high up by the door, deliberately straddling the vertical
line from the light switch. I'd forgotten that when it came to drilling
the centre mounting hole, but I sensed something strange when drilling
through the plaster (which I always do with hammer mode off), which was
the drill bit springing off the plastic capping, and I stopped before
I'd gone through the capping.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Tricky Dicky" wrote in message
A friend of mine recently discovered that the party wall between his
cottage and his neighbour was only one brick thick when he drilled through.

I have done that as well.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Cash" wrote in message
ARW wrote:
Due to a slight tape measure miscalculation - today I drilled down
through a Post Office ceiling and not into the store room at the back
of the Post Office:-(

I did apologise to the woman in the queue that was stood under the
drills exit point - she was covered in dust and bits of plaster.

And after the criticism you have publicly given to your various
apprentices here - what did they say to you Adam?

I could have a very good guess on that one. :-)

At least the PO the store room and the new apartment where I was working
were all owned by the same person.

Only an apprentice can manage to core dill for a bathroom extractor fan into
nextdoors house.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/01/2016 01:05, bm wrote:
"Rod Speed" wrote in message
ARW wrote
Due to a slight tape measure miscalculation - today I drilled down
through a Post Office ceiling and not into the store room at the back of
the Post Office:-(

I did apologise to the woman in the queue that was stood under the drills
exit point - she was covered in dust and bits of plaster.

A Jap would have at least had the decency to disembowel itself.

You might have the decency to **** off to an Ozzie group.

Last time I drilled through a cable it blew the company fuse. Couldn't
believe it when they came within the hour and didn't charge
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/01/2016 10:22, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
wrote:

[...]

I wanted and extra hole through a wall once that already had a phone
wire passing through it. To be totally safe, I drilled the new one 2" to
the side of the existing. I was disappointed to find when I looked at
the other side of the wall, the drill had actually come out of the
exiting hole, severing the wire in the process! Turns out the original
hole was drilled at an angle.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Due to a slight tape measure miscalculation - today I drilled down through a
Post Office ceiling and not into the store room at the back of the Post
Office:-(

I did apologise to the woman in the queue that was stood under the drills
exit point - she was covered in dust and bits of plaster.

I once fitted a payphone on a pub wall, I put it right below a wall
light for symmetry. There were five screw holes, one in each corner
and the fifth top centre, I wish I hadn't used the latter.

Best thing was the electricians on site thought it was something they
had done when the lights went out. Didn't suspect me.

It is amazing how soon and perfectly indelible the rictus of oh dear hits the instrument of grinnage with an electric current. Working beside a lad who found the wiring, I was rather surprised to see him disappearing quickly behind me -yet I can vividly remember the look on his face, all these decades later.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/01/2016 07:43, Tricky Dicky wrote:
A friend of mine recently discovered that the party wall between his cottage and his neighbour was only one brick thick when he drilled through.

Richard

Were they both deficient in the hearing department ?.

Single brick/block party walls are pretty well transparent to impact
sound and even normal conversation.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andrew wrote:
On 16/01/2016 07:43, Tricky Dicky wrote:
A friend of mine recently discovered that the party wall between his cottage and his neighbour was only one brick thick when he drilled through.

Richard

Were they both deficient in the hearing department ?.

Single brick/block party walls are pretty well transparent to impact
sound and even normal conversation.

My B-i-L was "udating" his 20's semi, by moving the bathroom from the
ground floor and extending the kitchen. He was chasing a hole for a flush
cooker point when suddenly the brick he was hitting moved fast and the
neighbours said, through the hole "Would you take your brick out of our
bath".

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 16/01/2016 10:27, ARW wrote:
"Cash" wrote in message
ARW wrote:
Due to a slight tape measure miscalculation - today I drilled down
through a Post Office ceiling

I read this far and was thinking Hatton Garden - you were aiming for the
post office's safe.

At least the PO the store room and the new apartment where I was working
were all owned by the same person.

Only an apprentice can manage to core dill for a bathroom extractor fan
into nextdoors house.

ROFLMAO

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:
"Cash" wrote in message
ARW wrote:
Due to a slight tape measure miscalculation - today I drilled down
through a Post Office ceiling and not into the store room at the
back of the Post Office:-(

I did apologise to the woman in the queue that was stood under the
drills exit point - she was covered in dust and bits of plaster.

And after the criticism you have publicly given to your various
apprentices here - what did they say to you Adam?

I could have a very good guess on that one. :-)

At least the PO the store room and the new apartment where I was
working were all owned by the same person.

Only an apprentice can manage to core dill for a bathroom extractor
fan into nextdoors house.

Nice one Adam - but you really shouldn't try to excuse your error. LOL

Cash

Who by the way, has dropped many '********' in his time - and one that
personally cost me well over £10,000! Don't ask, it will not be revealed.
;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 15 Jan 2016 23:22:36 +0000, Graham.
wrote:

I once fitted a payphone on a pub wall, I put it right below a wall
light for symmetry. There were five screw holes, one in each corner
and the fifth top centre, I wish I hadn't used the latter.

Talking of Pubs those who remember the Bristol of the late1970's or
watched the scenery in the TV series Shoestring may remember a
Lightship converted to a floating bar.

I was told that one of the brewery fitters fitting out the beer
storage area forgot he wasn't in a pub cellar and when encountering
resistance after drilling into and through a bit of wood mounted on
the "wall" just pushed a bit harder until he was reminded of the
special circumstances of the job by water spurting in.
Covert remedial action was immediately taken by pulling away the bit
of wood and firmly whacking in a wooden spile intended to go in a beer
cask shive that handily he usually had some of in his toolkit,still
there when the place closed down apparently.
G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Cash" wrote in message
ARW wrote:
"Cash" wrote in message
ARW wrote:
[...]

I have no problem holding my hands up to dropping a "********"

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/images/f/f9/Garagedoor.jpg

was one of my finest moments.

The best one was not by me but someone I was working with. We were told not
to power up the aircons units as the phase rotation had not been confirmed.
Well he powered them up and that was £60k worth of damage.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/01/16 13:50, ARW wrote:
"Cash" wrote in message
ARW wrote:
"Cash" wrote in message
ARW wrote:
[...]

The best one of those was a mate who was a very, very junior engineer,
was in charge of taking orders on a demonstration of a brand spanking
new radar dish of seriously expensive construction., It even had de
icing coils in..and duly, when asked to demonstrate the de icing on a
warm summers day, he threw the switch...and smoke and blisters appeared
on the dish....

...another good one was the chargehand who switched off the CNC mill
halfway through and went home. When he restarted it the following day it
carved a brand new phased array 4 mm away from the previous days work.
£25k of aluminium and machining turned to scrap.

--
The biggest threat to humanity comes from socialism, which has utterly
diverted our attention away from what really matters to our existential

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Cash" wrote in message
ARW wrote:
"Cash" wrote in message
ARW wrote:
Due to a slight tape measure miscalculation - today I drilled down
through a Post Office ceiling and not into the store room at the
back of the Post Office:-(

I did apologise to the woman in the queue that was stood under the
drills exit point - she was covered in dust and bits of plaster.

And after the criticism you have publicly given to your various
apprentices here - what did they say to you Adam?

I could have a very good guess on that one. :-)

At least the PO the store room and the new apartment where I was
working were all owned by the same person.

Only an apprentice can manage to core dill for a bathroom extractor
fan into nextdoors house.

Nice one Adam - but you really shouldn't try to excuse your error.

And for tonights cock up.

Just called the gf and asked if I should call down to see her. She said her
s-i-l was there and I replied "Just give me a call when the fat **** has
****ed off"

The gf was using handsfree on her phone..........

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/01/16 19:55, ARW wrote:
"Cash" wrote in message
ARW wrote:
"Cash" wrote in message
ARW wrote:
[...]

Ah Yorkshire subtlety
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 17 January 2016 00:00:54 UTC, Cash wrote:
Who by the way, has dropped many '********' in his time - and one that
personally cost me well over £10,000! Don't ask, it will not be revealed.

Marriage and/or paternity can both be expensive mistakes.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , ARW
writes
"Cash" wrote in message
ARW wrote:
"Cash" wrote in message
ARW wrote:
[...]

The end of a good relationship?
Or do you now owe her a good meal out?

Been there and had that too.
Briefly...
My wife called me in the car and I answered on hands free, she proceeded
to tell me that a mate of mine that she doesn't particularly like had
phoned looking for 5 minutes before . I won't go into detail of her
description of him, but it wasn't too polite. It was a pity that I had
just picked him up and he was sat beside me................. Ooooops

--
Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote in message
"Cash" wrote in message
ARW wrote:
"Cash" wrote in message
ARW wrote:
[...]

Mate of mine did something similar. We coordinate the opening
times of the garage/yard sales by mobile phone now. I normally
use speakerphone mode because I am usually the only one in
my car. I had just told him that the one I was parked outside
had not yet opened. He asked me if anyone else was there
with me also waiting. I told him that someone else that
I didn't recognise as a regular was too. He said to tell him
that the garage/yard sale was on miles away down the
the end of the very long dirt road well out of town. The
other person heard him say that because I had the phone
in speakerphone mode and wasn't impressed at all.

I'm more careful about using speakerphone mode now.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , ARW
o.uk scribeth thus
"Cash" wrote in message
ARW wrote:
"Cash" wrote in message
ARW wrote:
[...]

Well at least she knows where she stands!....
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Bill" wrote in message
In message , ARW
writes
"Cash" wrote in message
ARW wrote:
"Cash" wrote in message
ARW wrote:
[...]

Hopefully she will never speak to me again:-)

BTW Any ideas when CLID became the norm on mobile phones? I made a massive
cock up when that started. I guess about 1997 on my Vodaphone networked
phone.

The phone rang and it said Helen (that sort of narrows the dates down to
1997).

So I answered and said "Hi gorgeous, what time is your bloody Mother going
out tonight as I am going to come straight round and shag you".

I got the reply "Adam, This is her bloody Mother and I am phoning you to
tell you she has been admitted to hospital"

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/01/2016 19:02, ARW wrote:
Due to a slight tape measure miscalculation - today I drilled down
through a Post Office ceiling and not into the store room at the back of
the Post Office:-(

I did apologise to the woman in the queue that was stood under the
drills exit point - she was covered in dust and bits of plaster.

Slight .... couple of inches out is slight .... different room is a
whole different word
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 20 Jan 2016 22:23:07 +0000, rick wrote:

On 15/01/2016 19:02, ARW wrote:
Due to a slight tape measure miscalculation - today I drilled down
through a Post Office ceiling and not into the store room at the back
of the Post Office:-(

I did apologise to the woman in the queue that was stood under the
drills exit point - she was covered in dust and bits of plaster.

Slight .... couple of inches out is slight .... different room is a
whole different word

Shades of Del and Rodney.

OT Whoops! ARW UK diy 2 March 11th 14 11:41 PM
Whoops, and I blame TMH ARWadsworth UK diy 12 December 21st 11 09:25 AM
Whoops, I hit a pipe ARWadsworth UK diy 40 March 4th 11 04:21 PM
Whoops foundations... PCPaul UK diy 3 June 8th 09 06:58 PM
Whoops B&Q! Broadback UK diy 3 November 10th 06 01:16 PM