Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Metal stair treads - where to get at a reasonable price?

I want to get some metal stair treads for an outside staircase,
something like these probably:-

http://fascias.com/rund-s-u-type-80cm-stair-section

However over £30 per tread (if I'm reading it correctly) seems a bit
excessive.

Can anyone suggest where I might find metal treads at a reasonable
price? They don't have to be aluminium and don't have to look pretty,
this is a very utilitarian staircase up to a room over the garage.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/01/2016 13:27, wrote:
I want to get some metal stair treads for an outside staircase,
something like these probably:-

http://fascias.com/rund-s-u-type-80cm-stair-section

However over £30 per tread (if I'm reading it correctly) seems a bit
excessive.

Can anyone suggest where I might find metal treads at a reasonable
price? They don't have to be aluminium and don't have to look pretty,
this is a very utilitarian staircase up to a room over the garage.

A mate of mine used galvanised steel treads, I will try and find out
where he got them. They are fairly substantial and £30 a tread would
probably be a reasonable price, given how quick and easy they make the
build.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/01/2016 16:36, newshound wrote:
On 11/01/2016 13:27, wrote:
I want to get some metal stair treads for an outside staircase,
something like these probably:-

http://fascias.com/rund-s-u-type-80cm-stair-section

However over £30 per tread (if I'm reading it correctly) seems a bit
excessive.

Can anyone suggest where I might find metal treads at a reasonable
price? They don't have to be aluminium and don't have to look pretty,
this is a very utilitarian staircase up to a room over the garage.

A mate of mine used galvanised steel treads, I will try and find out
where he got them. They are fairly substantial and £30 a tread would
probably be a reasonable price, given how quick and easy they make the
build.

Here's one £22-50 plus vat

http://www.dciron.co.uk/stairtreads/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote:
On 11/01/2016 16:36, newshound wrote:
Can anyone suggest where I might find metal treads at a reasonable
price? They don't have to be aluminium and don't have to look pretty,
this is a very utilitarian staircase up to a room over the garage.

A mate of mine used galvanised steel treads, I will try and find out
where he got them. They are fairly substantial and £30 a tread would
probably be a reasonable price, given how quick and easy they make the
build.

Here's one £22-50 plus vat

http://www.dciron.co.uk/stairtreads/

I need 12 treads, so that's £22.50 * 12 * 1.2, that's £324 which feels
a lot to me still. I suppose it's a fairly permanent fix though.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 12 January 2016 11:16:04 UTC, wrote:
I need 12 treads, so that's £22.50 * 12 * 1.2, that's £324 which feels
a lot to me still. I suppose it's a fairly permanent fix though.

For that price you can probably get a whole prefab staircase intended for use with porta-cabin type buildings or scaffolding etc. Especially if there's one near you secondhand.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , writes
I want to get some metal stair treads for an outside staircase,
something like these probably:-

http://fascias.com/rund-s-u-type-80cm-stair-section

However over £30 per tread (if I'm reading it correctly) seems a bit
excessive.

Can anyone suggest where I might find metal treads at a reasonable
price? They don't have to be aluminium and don't have to look pretty,
this is a very utilitarian staircase up to a room over the garage.

Plenty of checker plate cut to size suppliers on line. All you then need
is someone to crop the corners and fold all 4 sides to 90deg. and drill
a few holes:-)

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , writes
I want to get some metal stair treads for an outside staircase,
something like these probably:-

http://fascias.com/rund-s-u-type-80cm-stair-section

However over £30 per tread (if I'm reading it correctly) seems a bit
excessive.

Can anyone suggest where I might find metal treads at a reasonable
price? They don't have to be aluminium and don't have to look pretty,
this is a very utilitarian staircase up to a room over the garage.

Plenty of checker plate cut to size suppliers on line. All you then need
is someone to crop the corners and fold all 4 sides to 90deg. and drill
a few holes:-)

Ah!!!! Thank you, the magic words 'checker plate' help no end. :-)

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/01/2016 11:10, wrote:
Tim Lamb wrote:
In message ,
writes
I want to get some metal stair treads for an outside staircase,
something like these probably:-

http://fascias.com/rund-s-u-type-80cm-stair-section

However over £30 per tread (if I'm reading it correctly) seems a bit
excessive.

Can anyone suggest where I might find metal treads at a reasonable
price? They don't have to be aluminium and don't have to look pretty,
this is a very utilitarian staircase up to a room over the garage.

Plenty of checker plate cut to size suppliers on line. All you then need
is someone to crop the corners and fold all 4 sides to 90deg. and drill
a few holes:-)

Ah!!!! Thank you, the magic words 'checker plate' help no end. :-)

The problem with checker plate for external steps, especially if
approached over damp or muddy path, is that they collect mud and get
slippery. The "open lattice" type are much better, but the perforated
type in the link I gave are not too bad.

The "diy" route gives you the merit of custom dimensions, but unless
your local fabricator has time on his hands I would suspect that
"custom" ones might not save you much.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote:
Plenty of checker plate cut to size suppliers on line. All you then need
is someone to crop the corners and fold all 4 sides to 90deg. and drill
a few holes:-)

Ah!!!! Thank you, the magic words 'checker plate' help no end. :-)

The problem with checker plate for external steps, especially if
approached over damp or muddy path, is that they collect mud and get
slippery. The "open lattice" type are much better, but the perforated
type in the link I gave are not too bad.

I think checker (chequer?) plate will be OK for us as the stairs are
very infrequently used. Rain will was the mud off before it
accumulates to any extent. If I could get 'open' ones I would but
they seem a whole lot more money in general.

The "diy" route gives you the merit of custom dimensions, but unless
your local fabricator has time on his hands I would suspect that
"custom" ones might not save you much.

I've found a local fabricator happy to do galvanized ones with a fold
up and down, I don't have a price yet.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

The "diy" route gives you the merit of custom dimensions, but unless
your local fabricator has time on his hands I would suspect that
"custom" ones might not save you much.

I've found a local fabricator happy to do galvanized ones with a fold
up and down, I don't have a price yet.

Hmm, well over £600 for twelve.

However I've now found a local supplier who does 'composite' stair
treads at a bit over £20 a go:-

http://www.angliacomposites.co.uk/pr.../stair-treads/

This means a whole set for the staircase with fittings and nose comes
to somewhat less than £400 which I guess isn't too bad. A very
helpful person on the phone when I contacted them too.

--
Chris Green
·

Stair treads GMM UK diy 14 April 19th 09 11:39 PM
Stair treads by T & G Arthur 51 UK diy 22 July 19th 07 06:55 PM
Oak stair treads - Help Please Tom H Woodworking 6 November 27th 05 12:41 PM
Braided stair treads or the like? Mike Halmarack UK diy 0 May 31st 05 10:14 AM
Stair Treads David Alexander Woodworking 8 March 9th 04 11:54 PM