Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Garage door - how to identify and take apart safely

I have a problem with an 'up and over' garage door. One of the nylon
pulleys that the tension/balance wire runs round has partly pulled
away from its support and become bent.

I need to un-tension the cable so I can fix it properly as it's very
difficult to get at the fixing screws with the cable etc. in the way.

The tensioning springs are in a long rectangular box above the door
and there appear to be *two* anchors at each end which seems a bit
odd. At each end one can see the wire from the pulley going into the
long box, an anchored spring and an anchored wire. The box is
helpfully covered in so one can't see how its arranged.

Can anyone point me at a description of the tensioning mechanism
and/or the safe way of releasing the tension so I can repair the
bracket? I probably need to replace the wire as well because it has
got frayed where it fell off the pulley.

--
Chris Green
·