Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Price for new boiler in London?

My lad has a flat in Hackney, currently rented out as he works abroad a
lot. His ancient Glow Worm system boiler has died and his agent has
quoted £3180 inc vat for a new Vaillant 415 plus pump and Honeywell 3
way valve plus landlord's certificate. It would be in a new location
(won't fit in current space under worktop) but not sure where.

Strikes me as a bit expensive but maybe, for London, and (presumably) a
quick, tidy and reliable plumber trusted by the agent, not too unreasonable?

Views?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 7 January 2016 11:42:37 UTC, newshound wrote:
Strikes me as a bit expensive but maybe, for London, and (presumably) a
quick, tidy and reliable plumber trusted by the agent,

Or one who gives the agent a kick-back?

Find out the plumber's identity and google them (and check on Gas Safe Register too). Maybe phone them up and ask them for an estimate and see how it compares to what the agent is saying.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote:
My lad has a flat in Hackney, currently rented out as he works abroad
a lot. His ancient Glow Worm system boiler has died and his agent has
quoted £3180 inc vat for a new Vaillant 415 plus pump and Honeywell 3
way valve plus landlord's certificate. It would be in a new location
(won't fit in current space under worktop) but not sure where.

Strikes me as a bit expensive but maybe, for London, and (presumably)
a quick, tidy and reliable plumber trusted by the agent, not too
unreasonable?

Quote last autumn for a Vaillant Eco Tec for a 2 bed bungalow in Suffolk
was £3210 for a system boiler, without conversion (as it was an elderly
user who wanted minimal disruption), with new pump and valves, power
flush, Magnaclean, internally plumbed condensate drain and extended
warranty from a long-established local firm with a good rep. So by that
standard £3180 in London looks v good - *if* all else is equivalent.
--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/01/2016 12:48, Robin wrote:
newshound wrote:
[...]

Thanks, that is reassuring. Good point about the extended warranty and
the Magnaclean, the current quote includes a flush.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 7 January 2016 11:42:37 UTC, newshound wrote:
My lad has a flat in Hackney, currently rented out as he works abroad a
lot. His ancient Glow Worm system boiler has died and his agent has
quoted £3180 inc vat for a new Vaillant 415 plus pump and Honeywell 3
way valve plus landlord's certificate. It would be in a new location
(won't fit in current space under worktop) but not sure where.

Strikes me as a bit expensive but maybe, for London, and (presumably) a
quick, tidy and reliable plumber trusted by the agent, not too unreasonable?

Views?

I'd get other quotes. It does seem OTT. And an agent is in the loop, always a warning sign.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

On 07/01/16 11:42, newshound wrote:
My lad has a flat in Hackney, currently rented out as he works abroad a
lot. His ancient Glow Worm system boiler has died and his agent has
quoted £3180 inc vat for a new Vaillant 415 plus pump and Honeywell 3
way valve plus landlord's certificate. It would be in a new location
(won't fit in current space under worktop) but not sure where.

Strikes me as a bit expensive but maybe, for London, and (presumably) a
quick, tidy and reliable plumber trusted by the agent, not too
unreasonable?

Views?

It cost me around 2,500 to have a W-B combi installed ten years ago in
WC1 so probably not unreasonable

--
djc

(–€Ì¿Ä¹Ì¯–€Ì¿ Ì¿)
No low-hanging fruit, just a lot of small berries up a tall tree.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/01/2016 22:55, DJC wrote:
On 07/01/16 11:42, newshound wrote:
My lad has a flat in Hackney, currently rented out as he works abroad a
lot. His ancient Glow Worm system boiler has died and his agent has
quoted £3180 inc vat for a new Vaillant 415 plus pump and Honeywell 3
way valve plus landlord's certificate. It would be in a new location
(won't fit in current space under worktop) but not sure where.

Strikes me as a bit expensive but maybe, for London, and (presumably) a
quick, tidy and reliable plumber trusted by the agent, not too
unreasonable?

Views?

It cost me around 2,500 to have a W-B combi installed ten years ago in
WC1 so probably not unreasonable

Blimey. You lived in WC1? :-)