Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Patching artex ceiling mess?

I'm a bit stuck as to what to do about this awful mess:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6i7lhkwflx...iling.png?dl=0

(no login required to see photo).

The previous people who lived here obviously artexed around the old
cricular light fitting and so the fitting I've now got has left an
unsightly circular mess showing the old artex.

Nothing I do is going to be perfect - in terms of texture, pattern or
other match - so I'm looking for some sort of easy to use ready mixed
filler - or perhaps that's a bad idea and just filling the small holes
and using white paint is the way to go.

Would this be the right thing to use at least to smooth out the rough edges:

http://www.diy.com/departments/artex.../258410_BQ.prd

Or would this cause more problems?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Gareth Davies wrote:
I'm a bit stuck as to what to do about this awful mess:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6i7lhkwflx...iling.png?dl=0

(no login required to see photo).

The previous people who lived here obviously artexed around the old
cricular light fitting and so the fitting I've now got has left an
unsightly circular mess showing the old artex.

Nothing I do is going to be perfect - in terms of texture, pattern or
other match - so I'm looking for some sort of easy to use ready mixed
filler - or perhaps that's a bad idea and just filling the small holes
and using white paint is the way to go.

Would this be the right thing to use at least to smooth out the rough
edges:
http://www.diy.com/departments/artex.../258410_BQ.prd

Or would this cause more problems?

trying to patch up artex is always a disaster, it's visible to everyone the
moment they walk in the room.

have the ceiling skimmed flat.

If you seriously want to have a go at patching it, scrape off that large
circular bump near to where your red circle is on the photo, fill in the
screw holes from the previous ceiling rose, paint and then hope no one looks
up.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2016-01-02 15:11:38 +0000, Phil L said:

Gareth Davies wrote:
[...]

Thanks. This is kind of what I thought. For now, paint it is!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Phil L
writes
Gareth Davies wrote:
I'm a bit stuck as to what to do about this awful mess:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6i7lhkwflx...iling.png?dl=0

(no login required to see photo).

The previous people who lived here obviously artexed around the old
cricular light fitting and so the fitting I've now got has left an
unsightly circular mess showing the old artex.

Nothing I do is going to be perfect - in terms of texture, pattern or
other match - so I'm looking for some sort of easy to use ready mixed
filler - or perhaps that's a bad idea and just filling the small holes
and using white paint is the way to go.

Would this be the right thing to use at least to smooth out the rough
edges:

http://www.diy.com/departments/artex...purpose-filler
-600ml/258410_BQ.prd

Or would this cause more problems?

trying to patch up artex is always a disaster, it's visible to everyone the
moment they walk in the room.

I guess as a general principle I'd agree, although it does rather depend
on the area to be patched, and the artex pattern.

have the ceiling skimmed flat.

If you seriously want to have a go at patching it, scrape off that large
circular bump near to where your red circle is on the photo, fill in the
screw holes from the previous ceiling rose, paint and then hope no one looks
up.

I successfully (as in asked a few random people to spot the patches,
they mostly can't, and certainly not with out some effort - there is one
bit that was less good but even then you have to make the effort to
look, you don't notice it normally~) patched so smallish areas of
ceiling in my daughters bedroom.

There were four R80 downlighters mounted in the ceiling, and an area
about 2 sq ft where is had peeled off due to water damage. Artex was a
random swirly pattern and fairly easy to match/blend in.

Backed hole with plasterboard, filled with one coat, scraped down any
ridges/bumpy bits at the edge. Used some more artex and a stippling
brush to get the right texture.

http://www.diy.com/hand-tools/artex-texturing-brush/243240_BQ.prd

Though our dining room ceiling needs repairing after some water damage,
and that has a a fan design, I think that will need skimming as I'd
think it would be possible to patch that design

To the OP, you can get a kit for repairing patches (though a relatively
expensive way to buy artex)

(random first link)

http://www.diy.com/departments/artex...r-kit-15kg/585
314_BQ.prd

--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Phil L" wrote in message
Gareth Davies wrote:
[...]

Do you scrape that bump off before or after you check for asbestos fibres?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:

Do you scrape that bump off before or after you check for asbestos
fibres?

Oh well after.
What you do is pay an assessor £500 to come in and take a small sample.
Wait six to eight weeks for the tests to come back.
If they come back positive, you move out of your house for three to four
months while teams of strangers swarm all over your home dressed like
astronauts, ripping down ceilings and walls in order to make it safe, pay
your £12,000 hotel bill and go home to spend another £35,000 on the damage
caused....this way it's only cost you almost 50K.

If the tests come back negative, it's only cost you £500.

Or you could spend £2.50 and scrape it off and paint it like 99% of normal
people and spend the other £497.50 on beer and food.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Phil L
writes
ARW wrote:

Do you scrape that bump off before or after you check for asbestos
fibres?

Oh well after.
What you do is pay an assessor £500 to come in and take a small sample.
Wait six to eight weeks for the tests to come back.
If they come back positive, you move out of your house for three to four
months while teams of strangers swarm all over your home dressed like
astronauts, ripping down ceilings and walls in order to make it safe, pay
your £12,000 hotel bill and go home to spend another £35,000 on the damage
caused....this way it's only cost you almost 50K.

If the tests come back negative, it's only cost you £500.

Or you could spend £2.50 and scrape it off and paint it like 99% of normal
people and spend the other £497.50 on beer and food.

Not that I think it would be worth if for this sort of situation, but
you can get asbestos samples test for £25 in a couple of days:

http://www.diyasbestostesting.co.uk/

--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 2 January 2016 14:58:06 UTC, Gareth Davies wrote:
The previous people who lived here obviously artexed around the old
cricular light fitting and so the fitting I've now got has left an
unsightly circular mess showing the old artex.

It looks as though there may have been a plaster rose that's been removed.

You could fit a replacement rose that's the same size or larger than the damaged area and then fit a light that's got a circular mounting base which will fit to the plaster rose fairly neatly eg

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...er/2446538.htm

If it's a fairly small damaged area then you might be able to cut it out and replace with a large downlight eg

http://www.ledhut.co.uk/commercial-l...downlight.html

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 2 January 2016 14:58:06 UTC, Gareth Davies wrote:
I'm a bit stuck as to what to do about this awful mess:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6i7lhkwflx...iling.png?dl=0

(no login required to see photo).

The previous people who lived here obviously artexed around the old
cricular light fitting and so the fitting I've now got has left an
unsightly circular mess showing the old artex.

Nothing I do is going to be perfect - in terms of texture, pattern or
other match - so I'm looking for some sort of easy to use ready mixed
filler - or perhaps that's a bad idea and just filling the small holes
and using white paint is the way to go.

Would this be the right thing to use at least to smooth out the rough edges:

http://www.diy.com/departments/artex.../258410_BQ.prd

Or would this cause more problems?

Probably impossible to perfectly match.
Skim with polyfilla or similar and dab with a wet sponge to get a "ripple" effect.
Wet paint brush can also be useful.

Most of these Artex effects were created with a wet sponge dabbing, wiping or various twisting or wiggling motions.
Or some with a spatula with a serrated edge.

You'll probably be able to get somewhere near.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/01/2016 15:56, harry wrote:
[...]

Skim with Gyproc joint filler. Not that difficult for the amateur (like me)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 02/01/2016 18:03, stuart noble wrote:
[...]

I have done I think 3 times over the years on a similar size of repair
and always got a decent match, I did the first time get an old piece of
plasterboard (or ply) to practice on.
utube should bring up some clips showing how the various designs are
done which should help you.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/01/2016 21:19, ss wrote:
[...]

Or, actually, skim with Artex itself, which works perfectly well as a
flat finish, and is a whole lot easier than plaster.

Flattening ceiling artex - tip Harry[_4_] UK diy 21 September 9th 13 09:39 AM
artex mess kent UK diy 5 August 13th 12 02:56 PM
Peeling Artex on Ceiling Endulini UK diy 5 August 19th 10 11:41 PM
Artex Ceiling Problems Ashnook UK diy 3 May 19th 06 01:54 PM
Artex mess around [email protected] UK diy 7 February 4th 06 12:14 PM