Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lidl LED uplighter went 'pop'

We have a lamp from Lidl, father and child or summat, LED.
It has a 24v transformer plug, the missus switched it on yesterday and it
made an audible 'pop' and now it doesn't work.
The transformer is sealed, is there any point me cracking it open? Do
these things have fuses or the like?

I don't know about anyone else but everything i've bought from Lidl that
has been electrical/electronic has been ****e.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

R D S Wrote in message:
We have a lamp from Lidl, father and child or summat, LED.
It has a 24v transformer plug, the missus switched it on yesterday and it
made an audible 'pop' and now it doesn't work.
The transformer is sealed, is there any point me cracking it open? Do
these things have fuses or the like?

I don't know about anyone else but everything i've bought from Lidl that
has been electrical/electronic has been ****e.

1. Open Bin
2. Place item in bin
3. Close bin
--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 24 Dec 2015 22:39:03 +0000 (GMT+00:00), turdey wrote:

We have a lamp from Lidl, father and child or summat, LED.
It has a 24v transformer plug, the missus switched it on

yesterday and
it made an audible 'pop' and now it doesn't work.

I don't know about anyone else but everything i've bought from

Lidl
that has been electrical/electronic has been ****e.

Aldi stuff seems OK. B-)

1. Open Bin

Retrieve reciept.
Take item and reciept to Lidl.
Get refund.

Though the OP doesn't say how old this lamp is.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

in 1446706 20151224 223903 turdey wrote:
R D S Wrote in message:
We have a lamp from Lidl, father and child or summat, LED.
It has a 24v transformer plug, the missus switched it on yesterday and it
made an audible 'pop' and now it doesn't work.
The transformer is sealed, is there any point me cracking it open? Do
these things have fuses or the like?

I don't know about anyone else but everything i've bought from Lidl that
has been electrical/electronic has been ****e.

1. Open Bin
2. Place item in bin
3. Close bin

Most of the power tools in my workshop came from Lidl and are still working
fine after up to 15 years.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Wallwarts are nearly all made in China and are of dubious quality either
making horrendous RF interference or falling to bits or going pop and often
emitting magic smoke.

You might get more success if rather than slagging off the vendors, you
contacted them and told them about the issue, often they will replace the
items and also take the old one back. I do recall some years ago one
retailer who alerted the manufacturer of a dodgy component which could have
been dangerous, as it was reported on a TV program.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
or what I say, you don't have to
"R D S" wrote in message
We have a lamp from Lidl, father and child or summat, LED.
It has a 24v transformer plug, the missus switched it on yesterday and it
made an audible 'pop' and now it doesn't work.
The transformer is sealed, is there any point me cracking it open? Do
these things have fuses or the like?

I don't know about anyone else but everything i've bought from Lidl that
has been electrical/electronic has been ****e.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian-Gaff wrote

Wallwarts are nearly all made in China

Yes.

and are of dubious quality either making horrendous RF interference or
falling to bits or going pop and often emitting magic smoke.

Not the branded stuff like what Apple gets made in China.

"R D S" wrote in message
We have a lamp from Lidl, father and child or summat, LED.
It has a 24v transformer plug, the missus switched it on yesterday and it
made an audible 'pop' and now it doesn't work.
The transformer is sealed, is there any point me cracking it open? Do
these things have fuses or the like?

I don't know about anyone else but everything i've bought from Lidl that
has been electrical/electronic has been ****e.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 25 Dec 2015 01:44:16 +0000, Dave Liquorice wrote:

Though the OP doesn't say how old this lamp is.

Bout 2 months. I'm not great at keeping receipts.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 25 Dec 2015 11:46:46 -0000 (UTC), R D S wrote:

Though the OP doesn't say how old this lamp is.

Bout 2 months. I'm not great at keeping receipts.

You might not need the receipt. Many of Lidl and Aldi's lines are
only available from them and both don't make a fuss about returns
anyway.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/12/2015 19:09, R D S wrote:
We have a lamp from Lidl, father and child or summat, LED.
It has a 24v transformer plug, the missus switched it on yesterday and it
made an audible 'pop' and now it doesn't work.
The transformer is sealed, is there any point me cracking it open? Do
these things have fuses or the like?

I don't know about anyone else but everything i've bought from Lidl that
has been electrical/electronic has been ****e.

Firstly - what is the lamp valued at? Not necessarily in cash terms.
Is it worth the effort repairing it or can it be replaced for less than
an hours labour? Alas that is the problem these days.
I would attempt to repair/replace the PSU and/or see if I could bodge a
different LED/lamp/bulb in there.

--
Blow my nose to email me
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
R D S wrote:
On Fri, 25 Dec 2015 01:44:16 +0000, Dave Liquorice wrote:

Though the OP doesn't say how old this lamp is.

Bout 2 months. I'm not great at keeping receipts.

You do need them with Lidl - especially for their three year warranty.
Get a folder or whatever and pop all the ones for things with a warranty
into it. That way, you can be sure they'll never fail...

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
R D S wrote:
We have a lamp from Lidl, father and child or summat, LED. It has a 24v
transformer plug, the missus switched it on yesterday and it made an
audible 'pop' and now it doesn't work. The transformer is sealed, is
there any point me cracking it open? Do these things have fuses or the
like?

I don't know about anyone else but everything i've bought from Lidl that
has been electrical/electronic has been ****e.

Don't think you'll find many will agree with you there. I've got loads of
such stuff from Lidl, and it's generally very good, especially at the
price. Not many other retailers give a three year warranty.

But if you've found it ****e, why buy from them?

--
*If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 26 Dec 2015 11:53:58 +0000 (GMT)
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

In article ,
R D S wrote:
On Fri, 25 Dec 2015 01:44:16 +0000, Dave Liquorice wrote:

Though the OP doesn't say how old this lamp is.

Bout 2 months. I'm not great at keeping receipts.

You do need them with Lidl - especially for their three year warranty.
Get a folder or whatever and pop all the ones for things with a
warranty into it. That way, you can be sure they'll never fail...

We keep every receipt, then about once a year, go through them and
throw away all the supermarket, butcher, baker, bird food etc ones. We know that we have any
receipt that might be needed for warranty or return purposes.

--
Davey.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 26 Dec 2015 11:57:54 +0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

But if you've found it ****e, why buy from them?

I've had electric fires go faulty/noisy. Electronic scales pack in, a
shower head thing that the chrome peeled off, a level that wasn't.
Fair play though they have a decent warranty and replace/refund without
hassle when i've had the wit to keep the receipt.

I wouldn't have thought you could go far wrong with a lamp. I was
thinking it was just a plug end, a cable and a bulb. I wasn't mindful
that it would have a transformer as I didn't register is was LED until I
found myself wondering why it had no dimmer.

I have a bag of old laptop and such power packs so I should be find
something to coddle it with.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/11/2016 17:14, charlesfitzgerald wrote:
replying to R D S, charlesfitzgerald wrote:
Generally Lidl have a no quibble money back guarantee. Bring it back.

What a whole 11 months after the event ????. I bet they will
laugh at you. Read the dates of the post you are replying to and
*stop* using homeownershub to access a newsgroup. get some
proper software for your PC.

Lidl DIY F[_2_] UK diy 1 March 7th 15 09:09 PM
Uplighter Transformer RzB UK diy 12 August 5th 06 09:01 PM
Halogen uplighter electricity usage David Hearn UK diy 7 May 5th 06 08:23 AM
Energy saving bulb uplighter doozer UK diy 7 December 15th 05 07:39 PM
Just to confirm my diagnosis [Ikea uplighter] David W.E. Roberts UK diy 13 March 17th 05 07:57 AM