Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default I don't believeeee it!

Did a job for a regular customer this morning, "while you are here,
could you" look at our washing machine?

'Every time we use it there is a terrible smell.'

Looked under the sink.

No trap. Nothing. Zilch. Sink & washing machine pipework connected
directly to drain.

Kitchen fitted by B&Q 3 months ago.

The mind boggles.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

That is ridiculous. I do hope he got a photo and will be visiting said store
and making a strong point.

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
or what I say, you don't have to
"David Lang" wrote in message
Did a job for a regular customer this morning, "while you are here, could
you" look at our washing machine?

'Every time we use it there is a terrible smell.'

Looked under the sink.

No trap. Nothing. Zilch. Sink & washing machine pipework connected
directly to drain.

Kitchen fitted by B&Q 3 months ago.

The mind boggles.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/12/2015 14:36, David Lang wrote:
Did a job for a regular customer this morning, "while you are here,
could you" look at our washing machine?

'Every time we use it there is a terrible smell.'

Looked under the sink.

No trap. Nothing. Zilch. Sink & washing machine pipework connected
directly to drain.

Kitchen fitted by B&Q 3 months ago.

The mind boggles.

According to their web sit B&Q don't employ kitchen fitters. They
contract in local independent traders approved by the Which? trusted
traders scheme.

Under B&Q homefit.

Which? Trusted Traders is an endorsement scheme that recognises
reputable and trustworthy traders who have successfully passed an
assessment process. Customers can enjoy peace of mind, knowing that the
traders have been rigorously evaluated by Which?, the Consumer Champion.

So although the customer should go back to B&Q the brickbats ought to be
aimed at a suspect local independent trader.

--
Chris B News
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 20 Dec 2015 09:51:16 +0000
Chris B wrote:

So although the customer should go back to B&Q the brickbats ought to
be aimed at a suspect local independent trader.

Approved by "Which?", remember. He should remember to tell them about
this, so that they can remove him from their list.

--
Davey.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris B wrote:

So although the customer should go back to B&Q the brickbats ought to
be aimed at a suspect local independent trader.

Approved by "Which?", remember. He should remember to tell them about
this, so that they can remove him from their list.

So what approval process do Which? use? Does it really depend entirely
on unhappy customers reporting? If they are that bad, they should never
have been approved. However many of these schemes do rely on
post-approval complaints rather than good pre-approval investigation.

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 20 Dec 2015 11:11:11 +0000
polygonum wrote:

So what approval process do Which? use?

No idea. Probably whoever pays and sounds good.

Does it really depend
entirely on unhappy customers reporting? If they are that bad, they
should never have been approved.

Agreed.

However many of these schemes do
rely on post-approval complaints rather than good pre-approval
investigation.

No idea. But it sounds very unprofessional if that's how they work.

--
Davey.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris B wrote:

So although the customer should go back to B&Q the brickbats ought to
be aimed at a suspect local independent trader.

Approved by "Which?", remember. He should remember to tell them about
this, so that they can remove him from their list.

During the 80's while trading as a roof builder, I heard so much about
the 'Federation of Master Builders'. The noise that came from other
traders was that their customers gained reassurance upon seeing the
evidence of membership, in ways of literature and signage.

I think I am right in saying the FMB also promised other assurances to
the customer of the builder? My experience was; my customers had never
heard of FMB but, it did give weight to the decision they made.

FMB was always too pricey for me considering that during that period I
was busy. However, I liked the concept of assurance for the customer
should the builder let them down, become injured, etc.

So, what does it take to become part of such a reputable
organisation(not FMB)? For me, very little other than a hefty £150 for a
few stickers and permission to print their signage on my literature.
Yes, they did come to the work site but, from within a car parked 50/70
yards at the end of the street such that the work could hardly be seen.

When I asked the guy to get out and come and look the ground floor
roof over, he refused saying he can see it was good from where he was
and, has a workload to get through. Actually, the very first words as I
approached the car was, 'Have you got the check on you', as he passed
the envelope of stickers out the driver's window. There was no reason
whatsoever for him to have parked at the end of the street. My feeling
is, he wasn't interested in the condition of the work at all. In fact, I
feel he was avoiding it.

If he did have to present facts to his employer, then he must have
fabricated them.

Word of mouth is the best method of finding a good worker. Which is
why, I would ask each customer to join a list of previous customers that
would be willing to talk to any potential customer. The list went out
with my estimates.

How did I feel after the transaction? Let down, disappointed. I was
part of a recommended workforce who, I now know, has not had their work
inspected.

....Ray.

--
One click voting to change the world.
..https://secure.avaaz.org/en/index.php

Phase Conjugate Waves
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3wwdmwv0zk

....and, Why You Know Nothing
http://www.delusionalinsects.com/sty...-32/index.html

Startpage - The PRIVATE Search Engine!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 20 December 2015 09:51:16 UTC, Chris B wrote:
So although the customer should go back to B&Q the brickbats ought to be
aimed at a suspect local independent trader.

If the original bill for fitting was paid to B&Q then they're responsible.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Chris B" wrote in message
[...]

Getting banned from doing B&Q work was one of my finest moments.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris B wrote:

According to their web sit B&Q don't employ kitchen fitters. They
contract in local independent traders approved by the Which? trusted
traders scheme.

Under B&Q homefit.

Which? Trusted Traders is an endorsement scheme that recognises
reputable and trustworthy traders who have successfully passed an
assessment process. Customers can enjoy peace of mind, knowing that
the traders have been rigorously evaluated by Which?, the Consumer
Champion.

Those words are designed to get idiots to part with their money, in reality
they award the contract to whoever will do it for the least amount of money,
it's buisness.

So although the customer should go back to B&Q the brickbats ought to
be aimed at a suspect local independent trader.

They didn't get paid by the customer, the customer paid B&Q

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 19 December 2015 14:36:19 UTC, David Lang wrote:
Kitchen fitted by B&Q 3 months ago.

Did they do any electrical or gas work?

Owain