Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Query

What search term should I be using to find a *decorators blanking plug*
for my CH system?

Decorators arrived unexpectedly yesterday and wanted two radiators off
the walls. The TRVs seemed to be holding on the frost setting until
3.00am when the whole house resounded to a rapid 100Hz water hammer!

I had tried the 5 pence piece trick but they don't fit 20 year old Myson
valves!
--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim Lamb
writes
What search term should I be using to find a *decorators blanking plug*
for my CH system?

Decorators arrived unexpectedly yesterday and wanted two radiators off
the walls. The TRVs seemed to be holding on the frost setting until
3.00am when the whole house resounded to a rapid 100Hz water hammer!

I had tried the 5 pence piece trick but they don't fit 20 year old
Myson valves!

Ah!

1/2" blanking nut?

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

with candle wax around it?
funny old things water hammer. The flats where we have our studio suddenly
started on which made the whole block sound like it was under attack from a
very large hammer drill. Eventually traced to a valve in a shower room on
the ground floor.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
or what I say, you don't have to
"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
In message , Tim Lamb
writes
What search term should I be using to find a *decorators blanking plug*
for my CH system?

Decorators arrived unexpectedly yesterday and wanted two radiators off the
walls. The TRVs seemed to be holding on the frost setting until 3.00am
when the whole house resounded to a rapid 100Hz water hammer!

I had tried the 5 pence piece trick but they don't fit 20 year old Myson
valves!

Ah!

1/2" blanking nut?

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:

What search term should I be using to find a *decorators blanking plug*
for my CH system?

The leaflet supplied with mine refers to the "manual commissioning cap"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The leaflet supplied with mine refers to the "manual commissioning cap"

Ah - the items that the installers throw away!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andy
Burns writes
Tim Lamb wrote:

What search term should I be using to find a *decorators blanking plug*
for my CH system?

The leaflet supplied with mine refers to the "manual commissioning cap"

!! It would be a long while before I thought of that:-)

Screwfix have 5 1/2" blank nuts at St. Albans.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/12/15 11:15, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Andy
Burns writes
Tim Lamb wrote:

What search term should I be using to find a *decorators blanking plug*
for my CH system?

The leaflet supplied with mine refers to the "manual commissioning cap"

!! It would be a long while before I thought of that:-)

Screwfix have 5 1/2" blank nuts at St. Albans.

That's not a nice way to describe their staff...

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Adrian Caspersz
writes
Tim Lamb wrote:

What search term should I be using to find a *decorators blanking plug*
for my CH system?

The leaflet supplied with mine refers to the "manual commissioning cap"

!! It would be a long while before I thought of that:-)

Screwfix have 5 1/2" blank nuts at St. Albans.

That's not a nice way to describe their staff...

Only three now. Interesting location. Screwfix, Toolsatan, Wickes,
Homebase. All within the distance I used to be able to throw a cricket
ball.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Lamb wrote:
What search term should I be using to find a *decorators blanking plug*
for my CH system?

Decorators arrived unexpectedly yesterday and wanted two radiators off
the walls. The TRVs seemed to be holding on the frost setting until
3.00am when the whole house resounded to a rapid 100Hz water hammer!

I had tried the 5 pence piece trick but they don't fit 20 year old Myson
valves!

Not sure I'd trust an old TRV to be totally leak free.

I'd use a stop end which should screw into the output of the valve and
give a seal.

Other way for just papering is to slacken the rad and hinge it down flat,
supporting it on wood blocks etc.

--
*I dropped out of communism class because of lousy Marx.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
Tim Lamb wrote:
What search term should I be using to find a *decorators blanking plug*
for my CH system?

Decorators arrived unexpectedly yesterday and wanted two radiators off
the walls. The TRVs seemed to be holding on the frost setting until
3.00am when the whole house resounded to a rapid 100Hz water hammer!

I had tried the 5 pence piece trick but they don't fit 20 year old Myson
valves!

Not sure I'd trust an old TRV to be totally leak free.

I'd use a stop end which should screw into the output of the valve and
give a seal.

Other way for just papering is to slacken the rad and hinge it down flat,
supporting it on wood blocks etc.

OK Job done. The Mysons have yet to leak but they jam as well as
anything else.

--
Tim Lamb

Lighting query johno[_2_] UK diy 12 November 7th 12 11:31 AM
I HAVE A QUERY FOR EVERYONE \Jeanette\ Home Repair 4 April 18th 07 03:14 AM
Shower Query [email protected] UK diy 11 September 12th 06 10:26 PM
JVC TV query planet Electronics Repair 1 February 10th 05 09:05 AM
TS: "Why don't they" query John Moorhead Woodworking 13 December 19th 04 08:27 PM