Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Church electrics.

My brother is on the buildings committee of his local church. Like many
it's suffering from an aging and therefore reducing congregation.

To try and supplement the churches income, most of it - halls etc - is
available for hire when not needed for church business, and has been for
many years.

For some reason, they've been asked to provide a certificate of electrical
safety for the entire premises. Some new requirement, as it's not been
needed before. Although all the equipment has been PAT for some time.

As with many older churches, the electrical installation has been updated
and extended as needed. It has never been totally re-wired in one hit. All
work carried out by (I assume reputable) local contractors. Definitely no
amateur or DIY installations. Any maintenance done by non pros restricted
to changing bulbs and tubes.

The survey was done last week by a local contractor. Reported verbally to
my brother who was present that they'd found some problems, and would do a
full written report - which still hasn't arrived.

One thing they did mention there and then was an absence of any RCD
protection. And that in the church hall, there were fluorescent fittings
which weren't earthed. Those fittings were installed many years ago to
replace pendant tungsten - and by a local contractor. They are some 15 ft
above floor level so not possible to be touched by a member of the public.

Be interesting to see the written report and what they say is necessary
remedial work. You'd hope local tradesmen would always do the best deal
for a house of God - but sadly this isn't always the case.

I've had to rely on what my brother tells me - it's too far away to have a
look myself.

Anyone know what regs apply these days?

--
*Parenthetical remarks (however relevant) are (usually) unnecessary *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

NO CHURCH FOR ME Col. Edmund Burke[_8_] Home Repair 2 March 29th 15 02:06 PM
£12.5K for a church George UK diy 16 April 5th 07 06:30 PM
Church Cliff Metalworking 1 April 9th 06 05:31 AM
Church Cliff Metalworking 0 April 8th 06 10:58 AM
Church Cliff Metalworking 0 April 8th 06 10:54 AM