Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

Default Moving location of extractor fan exit

Current situation:

Extractor fan in main bathroom after a shower leaves the room steamy and
with condensation on the walls, in reality its useless. The fan is
located in the ceiling above the bath/shower, its a 4" fan with timer
and on max setting.

It is vented along some ducting to the eaves fascia board, externally I
can see no exit although there us maybe a 2" gap between the brick and
the fascia, in any case I aint crawling in there to find out if it exits
or not.

So I have a ventilation tile on the ridge of the roof, from the exit
point in the ceiling to the ridge tile is approx 11 feet, the ridge tile
has an internal alminium tube already fitted, this I believe was for the
`old` boiler fume exhaust (boiler since relocated) which is now extinct.

So question, if I upgrade the fan to say a 6" with higher extraction
output (timer & humidity) using an expandable tube to connect am I
likely to get an improvement as the fan would now be extracting
vertically / diagonally instead of horizontally.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Sounds good - it would be better if you could find a specification for the
ridge tile that gives the area of the ventilation.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 11 October 2015 21:44:38 UTC+1, ss wrote:
Current situation:

Extractor fan in main bathroom after a shower leaves the room steamy and
with condensation on the walls, in reality its useless. The fan is
located in the ceiling above the bath/shower, its a 4" fan with timer
and on max setting.

So question, if I upgrade the fan to say a 6" with higher extraction
output (timer & humidity) using an expandable tube to connect am I
likely to get an improvement as the fan would now be extracting
vertically / diagonally instead of horizontally.

6" gets a lot more airflow than 4". You need a centrifugal not axial fan with ductwork. Expandable tube is bad news for airflow, use rigid whenever possible.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Have you tested to see if the current fan is actually doing anything? Just
put a piece of paper over it. If it doesn't stick you have a blockage
somewhere.

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ss wrote:

Would plastic rigid piping be ok for the ducting?

Ideal.

If you are running vertically upwards and unlagged, you ought to
include a condensation trap.

http://www.vent-axia.com/range/condensation-trap.html

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 12 October 2015 00:04:07 UTC+1, ss wrote:
On 11/10/2015 22:58, nt wrote:

6" gets a lot more airflow than 4". You need a centrifugal not axial fan with ductwork. Expandable tube is bad news for airflow, use rigid whenever possible.

Would plastic rigid piping be ok for the ducting?

if its the right size

NT