Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT-Simon Singh writes good maths books- engineering?

I have read and enjoyed Simon Singh's Maths based books, is there an engineering equivalent?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/10/2015 17:51, misterroy wrote:
I have read and enjoyed Simon Singh's Maths based books, is there an engineering equivalent?

I'm not an engineer, but I enjoyed these:
Structures, or why things don't fall down - J.E. Gordon
Structural Engineer's Pocket Book - Fiona Cobb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/10/2015 18:10, FullyDetached wrote:
On 09/10/2015 17:51, misterroy wrote:
I have read and enjoyed Simon Singh's Maths based books, is there an
engineering equivalent?

I'm not an engineer, but I enjoyed these:
Structures, or why things don't fall down - J.E. Gordon

The new science of strong materials by the same man is even better.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 9 October 2015 20:33:08 UTC+2, Clive George wrote:
On 09/10/2015 18:10, FullyDetached wrote:
On 09/10/2015 17:51, misterroy wrote:
I have read and enjoyed Simon Singh's Maths based books, is there an
engineering equivalent?

I'm not an engineer, but I enjoyed these:
Structures, or why things don't fall down - J.E. Gordon

The new science of strong materials by the same man is even better.

+1. I got 2/3rds of the way through a Metallurgy degree from Cambridge
pretty much on the back of those two - and they are very easy reading.

(Unfortunately they weren't enough to get me *all* the way through - so
I basically didn't do very well in the end, and had to become a programmer
instead.)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

misterroy wrote:
I have read and enjoyed Simon Singh's Maths based books, is there an
engineering equivalent?

Not quite as chatty as Simon Singh's books, but one to look at is The Art of
Electronics - it's chattier than most and fairly easy to read, if
comprehensive (ie large). It's a bit more practical, since it's assumed
you'll be using what it teaches you, rather than a general interest/popular
science book.

3rd edition recently came out, 25 years after the last. I haven't seen it
yet, so I think my Christmas reading is sorted

Theo

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 10 Oct 2015 00:13:06 +0100, Theo Markettos wrote:

misterroy wrote:
I have read and enjoyed Simon Singh's Maths based books, is there an
engineering equivalent?

Not quite as chatty as Simon Singh's books, but one to look at is The
Art of Electronics - it's chattier than most and fairly easy to read, if
comprehensive (ie large). It's a bit more practical, since it's assumed
you'll be using what it teaches you, rather than a general
interest/popular science book.

3rd edition recently came out, 25 years after the last. I haven't seen
it yet, so I think my Christmas reading is sorted

I have owned both of the previous editions....think I shall get this!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/10/2015 18:10, FullyDetached wrote:
On 09/10/2015 17:51, misterroy wrote:
I have read and enjoyed Simon Singh's Maths based books, is there an
engineering equivalent?

I'm not an engineer, but I enjoyed these:
Structures, or why things don't fall down - J.E. Gordon
Structural Engineer's Pocket Book - Fiona Cobb

The second is a very good source of data, but its hardly a readable book
with a narrative of the kind Singh writes.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/10/2015 00:13, Theo Markettos wrote:
misterroy wrote:
I have read and enjoyed Simon Singh's Maths based books, is there an
engineering equivalent?

Not quite as chatty as Simon Singh's books, but one to look at is The Art of
Electronics - it's chattier than most and fairly easy to read, if
comprehensive (ie large). It's a bit more practical, since it's assumed
you'll be using what it teaches you, rather than a general interest/popular
science book.

3rd edition recently came out, 25 years after the last. I haven't seen it
yet, so I think my Christmas reading is sorted

Andrew S. Tanenbaum book on networks.

Richard W Stevens on TCP/IP (first two volumes especially)

Any of the Steve McConnel books on software engineering (Rapid
Development, Code Complete)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

misterroy wrote:
I have read and enjoyed Simon Singh's Maths based books, is there an
engineering equivalent?

Not quite as chatty as Simon Singh's books, but one to look at is The
Art of Electronics - it's chattier than most and fairly easy to read,
if comprehensive (ie large). It's a bit more practical, since it's
assumed you'll be using what it teaches you, rather than a general
interest/popular science book.

3rd edition recently came out, 25 years after the last. I haven't seen
it yet, so I think my Christmas reading is sorted

Andrew S. Tanenbaum book on networks.

Richard W Stevens on TCP/IP (first two volumes especially)

Any of the Steve McConnel books on software engineering (Rapid
Development, Code Complete)

The three volumes on TCP/IP by Douglas Comer.

And of course the Kunth trilogy-and-a-bit.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

misterroy wrote:
I have read and enjoyed Simon Singh's Maths based books, is there an
engineering equivalent?

Not quite as chatty as Simon Singh's books, but one to look at is The
Art of Electronics - it's chattier than most and fairly easy to read,
if comprehensive (ie large). It's a bit more practical, since it's
assumed you'll be using what it teaches you, rather than a general
interest/popular science book.

3rd edition recently came out, 25 years after the last. I haven't seen
it yet, so I think my Christmas reading is sorted

Andrew S. Tanenbaum book on networks.

My bible 1984-1988 ... worth every penny, and still on my shelf

Richard W Stevens on TCP/IP (first two volumes especially)

Any of the Steve McConnel books on software engineering (Rapid
Development, Code Complete)

Kernighan & Ritchie ?

I was keeping it a bit more general engineering principles rather than
pure software... While K&R's blue book was seminal, its not the best on
the subject IMHO.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/10/2015 00:20, Bob Eager wrote:
On Sat, 10 Oct 2015 00:13:06 +0100, Theo Markettos wrote:

3rd edition recently came out, 25 years after the last. I haven't seen
it yet, so I think my Christmas reading is sorted

I have owned both of the previous editions....think I shall get this!

Although I've found the second edition useful I think it was rather
padded out with 'old technology', especially on the digital side, even
10+ years ago.

In some respects the era of these types of books is waning with the
growth of information on the Net.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m wrote:
Although I've found the second edition useful I think it was rather
padded out with 'old technology', especially on the digital side, even
10+ years ago.

It was written in 1989, so not so surprising. I think the second edition
will still be useful for the times you really need understand the deep
analogue things - it sounds like the third edition is rather more systems-y,
which is probably more relevant today.

In some respects the era of these types of books is waning with the
growth of information on the Net.

Yes and no. The advantage of a whole treatment is that it tells you about
the things you don't know that you don't know. Once you know that something
exists and what it's good for, you can just go and search for the details.

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/10/2015 17:51, misterroy wrote:

I have read and enjoyed Simon Singh's Maths based books, is there an engineering equivalent?

Singh's "Big Bang" is quite good as well.

One of the best science "story" books I have ever read is:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Stranges.../dp/0571222862

It pulls in so much related stuff, and friendships with so many leading
lights in the discovery of modern physics that makes is a very
interesting all round read.

--
Cheers,

John.