Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default More induced? flickering in mains led lighting

At a pals tother day and having replaced his gu10 halogens with less was miffed to find they flashed when turning on the separate kitchen light...

Is this a job for one of them resistor /capacitor combos across switch live & neutral at the switch?

Eg
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/SMFLA01.html

TIA

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"JimK" wrote in message
At a pals tother day and having replaced his gu10 halogens with less was
miffed to find they flashed when turning on the separate kitchen light...

Is this a job for one of them resistor /capacitor combos across switch
live & neutral at the switch?

Eg
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/SMFLA01.html

I assume they only started to flash when in the switched off state!

If so this is a classic example of inductance from the other lighting cable
causing the flashing. Putting one of the halogen GU10s back in to see if
that stops the flashing is the simple test before fitting the suggested
item.

Cheers

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 2 Oct 2015 19:47:09 +0100, ARW wrote:

At a pals tother day and having replaced his gu10 halogens with

less
was miffed to find they flashed when turning on the separate

kitchen
light...

A single flash at the moment that the other light is switched on or
repeated flashing when the other light is on?

I assume they only started to flash when in the switched off state!

If so this is a classic example of inductance from the other lighting
cable causing the flashing.

A possibilty so is a switched neutral and some form of back feeding.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 02 Oct 2015 20:10:41 +0100 (BST), Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Fri, 2 Oct 2015 19:47:09 +0100, ARW wrote:

At a pals tother day and having replaced his gu10 halogens with

less
was miffed to find they flashed when turning on the separate

kitchen
light...

A single flash at the moment that the other light is switched on or
repeated flashing when the other light is on?

I assume they only started to flash when in the switched off state!

If so this is a classic example of inductance from the other lighting
cable causing the flashing.

A possibilty so is a switched neutral and some form of back feeding.

Although my kitchen LEDs don't flicker or flash, I had a feeling with one
sort of lamp that the colour temperature of two lamps in a fitting seemed
low and went up when the other set was turned on (the increase in light made
it difficult to be sure, to be sure).
I chesked the lamp holders (E14) and found that the L and N were wrong on
one holder on each luminaire - and the same with a third that I had
elsewhere. When I get a tuit...
Since put in lamps with a better spread for the job and there's no sign of
low temperature.
From now on I'll always check the polarity of ES holders, although if they'd
been BC I probably wouldn't have considered it.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

/I assume they only started to flash when in the switched off state!

If so this is a classic example of inductance from the other lighting cable
causing the flashing. Putting one of the halogen GU10s back in to see if
that stops the flashing is the simple test before fitting the suggested
item.

Cheers /Q

Aha! Yes when the led equipped fittings are off, operating the kitchen lights (all traditional bulbs) makes the leds flash once.

Tried a halogen gu10 in each light fitting (each has 4 x gu10s), to my surprise they all still flashed when other switches operated, including the halogen gu10 (more of a glow than a flash but definitely visible)...

So seems my initial thought for a solution won't work?

What next please?
Cheers

Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bump)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default ES Polarity (was More induced? flickering in mains led lighting)

On 03/10/2015 07:30, PeterC wrote:
From now on I'll always check the polarity of ES holders, although if they'd
been BC I probably wouldn't have considered it.

fx pricks up ears

I guess ES fitting should always have the live in the centre? I think I
ought to check around mine.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"JimK" wrote in message
Bump)

Dunno,Got to be a neutral problem. Is the other kitchen light a fluorescent?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

/Dunno,Got to be a neutral problem. Is the other kitchen light a fluorescent? /Q

There's a few single bulb fittings - I reckon they are conventional filaments tho they could possibly be compact fluoros, but they're globe shaped, a bit yellowy and don't take time to warm up etc so I'm presuming filaments?

How does the "neutral problem" occur?

Cheers
Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 4 Oct 2015 21:09:40 +0100, Vir Campestris wrote:

On 03/10/2015 07:30, PeterC wrote:
From now on I'll always check the polarity of ES holders, although if they'd
been BC I probably wouldn't have considered it.

fx pricks up ears

I guess ES fitting should always have the live in the centre? I think I
ought to check around mine.

Andy

In a BC holder it doesn't, of course, matter. In screw sockets it's really
just taking advantage of the design to have the L harder to reach - more
effective in E14 than in E27.
If testing live, especially in E14, be careful not to short the contacts
(DAMHIKT!).
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Posted to uk.d-i-y

/How does this "neutral problem" occur? /Q

Anyone?

Ta
Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y