Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How many Washers to put in on top of each other?

About twenty five years ago we had the diaphragm toilet washer replaced
on our Twford toilet. [ The type with the little disc at the top in the
middle of the tank that you pull vertically upwards to flush it].

The person who did it for us before is no longer available, so i have
(as a complete *novice*) to do it myself. I remember dozens of bits all
over the Lavatory floor, so I'm not looking forward to this mammoth task.

I also remember lashings of 'Plumbers Mate', so I'll get some of that.
Also just now on searching for a washer, there is talk of a foam
doughnut washer as well, so i guess i should get one of those?

I remember he actually put two washers in, one laid on top of the other.
He said it would last longer, as one washer might give out, but you
would still have the other. Since i don't want to ever do this again in
the few years i have left, how many washers could I lay in on top of
each other before it becomes counter-productive?

Any tips or advice up front, i would be very grateful for. Thanks.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

john west wrote in news:mu16pb$e5e$1@dont-
email.me:

[...]

Your description may be a bit too vague - a photo would help.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/09/2015 17:03, john west wrote:
About twenty five years ago we had the diaphragm toilet washer replaced
on our Twford toilet. [ The type with the little disc at the top in the
middle of the tank that you pull vertically upwards to flush it].

Like this?;
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Oblong-Sipho.../dp/B003BNGHOG
Colour may vary.

The person who did it for us before is no longer available, so i have
(as a complete *novice*) to do it myself. I remember dozens of bits all
over the Lavatory floor, so I'm not looking forward to this mammoth task.

I also remember lashings of 'Plumbers Mate', so I'll get some of that.
Also just now on searching for a washer, there is talk of a foam
doughnut washer as well, so i guess i should get one of those?

Plumbers Mait shouldn't necessary.

You need one of these;

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Plum...ing+Kit/p85615

I remember he actually put two washers in, one laid on top of the other.
He said it would last longer, as one washer might give out, but you
would still have the other. Since i don't want to ever do this again in
the few years i have left, how many washers could I lay in on top of
each other before it becomes counter-productive?

Any tips or advice up front, i would be very grateful for. Thanks.

If 2 washers lasted 25 years, it depends how old you are :-)

Tap washers Adrian Simpson UK diy 7 February 25th 12 11:58 AM
Washers Colin[_4_] UK diy 5 April 11th 11 04:14 AM
What's The Name For These Washers [email protected] UK diy 23 October 10th 08 11:48 PM
Tap Washers Dave Osborne UK diy 5 January 19th 08 02:05 AM
Source for GOOD bolts, washers, copper washers, etc? Miki Kanazawa Metalworking 3 October 6th 03 11:45 PM