Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

Default Planter

I want to make a simple rectangular planter (1), and don't want
it finished in any of the available garish preservative colours.

I thought I might use Wikes treated sawn gravel boards, with
fence posts for the corner pillars. I'm happy to go with a rough
sawn appearance.

I see that planters on sale seem to come with a plastic sheet
liner, though some of them are made of surprisingly thin timber.

Should I add a clear preservative, do I need a liner, or is it
probably better (and cheaper) to simply use substantial timber,
and replace when it decays?

(1) 600 mm x 800 mm, to match the concrete surround on a manhole
cover.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 14 September 2015 17:43:15 UTC+1, Chris J Dixon wrote:
I want to make a simple rectangular planter (1), and don't want
it finished in any of the available garish preservative colours.

I thought I might use Wikes treated sawn gravel boards, with
fence posts for the corner pillars. I'm happy to go with a rough
sawn appearance.

I see that planters on sale seem to come with a plastic sheet
liner, though some of them are made of surprisingly thin timber.

Should I add a clear preservative, do I need a liner, or is it
probably better (and cheaper) to simply use substantial timber,
and replace when it decays?

(1) 600 mm x 800 mm, to match the concrete surround on a manhole
cover.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.

The purpose of the liner is two fold.
It keeps the timber dry and stops the plants from drying out.
Just use a bit of polythene or similar.
You'll need drainage holes in the bottom.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 14/09/2015 18:43, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Mon, 14 Sep 2015 10:23:05 -0700 (PDT), harry
wrote:

[...]

Amen to all that. I would just add to stand the finished planter on
bricks or bits of broken paving slab, to keep the wood off the ground
and out of the wet, otherwise it'll rot sooner.

I would add when I did this the polythene exposed to sunlight
disintigrated within 18 months, I hope the parts not exposed are doing
their job.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

"Chris J Dixon" wrote

I want to make a simple rectangular planter (1), and don't want
it finished in any of the available garish preservative colours.

I thought I might use Wikes treated sawn gravel boards, with
fence posts for the corner pillars. I'm happy to go with a rough
sawn appearance.

I see that planters on sale seem to come with a plastic sheet
liner, though some of them are made of surprisingly thin timber.

Should I add a clear preservative, do I need a liner, or is it
probably better (and cheaper) to simply use substantial timber,
and replace when it decays?

(1) 600 mm x 800 mm, to match the concrete surround on a manhole
cover.

You can get galvanised manhole covers made to take paving bricks so a few
inches deep with key holes so they can be lifted should the need arise. No
reason you could not fill with soil and plant in those, for example....
http://www.wickes.co.uk/Clark-Drain-...600mm/p/240732
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

On 14/09/2015 17:43, Chris J Dixon wrote:
I want to make a simple rectangular planter (1), and don't want
it finished in any of the available garish preservative colours.

I thought I might use Wikes treated sawn gravel boards, with
fence posts for the corner pillars. I'm happy to go with a rough
sawn appearance.

I see that planters on sale seem to come with a plastic sheet
liner, though some of them are made of surprisingly thin timber.

Should I add a clear preservative, do I need a liner, or is it
probably better (and cheaper) to simply use substantial timber,
and replace when it decays?

(1) 600 mm x 800 mm, to match the concrete surround on a manhole
cover.

Chris

Sometimes (perhaps at this time of year?) the sheds seem to sell decking
boards off so cheap that they'd cost less than gravel board, and they're
more robust.

Wasp nest in planter Mike Barnes[_2_] UK diy 40 August 12th 14 10:46 PM
PLANTER BOX - CHAIR J T Woodworking 0 November 22nd 06 05:16 PM
Rocking Horse for planter? Jimmy Woodworking 0 October 23rd 06 10:06 PM
EIGHT-SIDED PLANTER J T Woodworking 0 November 15th 04 08:04 PM
Pyramid Planter Rinks Ranch Woodworking 11 April 17th 04 09:47 AM