Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Oil blown up to air filter - B&S engine

The paper cartridge air filter on my Briggs and Stratton tractor mower,
is continually getting clogged up with oil. The filter is mounted upper
most on the engine. Has anyone any suggestions please, as to why oil
would be blown out of the intake?

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
. uk...
The paper cartridge air filter on my Briggs and Stratton tractor mower, is
continually getting clogged up with oil. The filter is mounted upper most
on the engine. Has anyone any suggestions please, as to why oil would be
blown out of the intake?

there is a crankcase breather to the carb

so either you have overfilled with oil

or piston blow-by is over pressurising the crankcase

Posted to uk.d-i-y

It happens that Mark formulated :
"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
. uk...
The paper cartridge air filter on my Briggs and Stratton tractor mower, is
continually getting clogged up with oil. The filter is mounted upper most
on the engine. Has anyone any suggestions please, as to why oil would be
blown out of the intake?

there is a crankcase breather to the carb

so either you have overfilled with oil

Yes, it had been over filled with oil in the past, level is now
correct, so that might have been the cause.

How do I access / clear the crankcase breather please?

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
The paper cartridge air filter on my Briggs and Stratton tractor mower,
is continually getting clogged up with oil. The filter is mounted upper
most on the engine. Has anyone any suggestions please, as to why oil
would be blown out of the intake?

Either the engine is very worn and or the crankcase is pressurised, if it
has a breather into the air filter, as most do. The crankcase generally
has an air inlet somewhere, and the connection to the air filter draws
fumes into the engine so they are burnt.

If the pressure in the crankcase is excessive - worn piston rings or valve
guides - a considerable amount of oil can be forced into the intake.

First thing to check is the crank breather system is clear.

--
*I don't feel old. I don't feel anything until noon. Then it's time for my nap.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/09/15 16:18, Mark wrote:
"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
. uk...
The paper cartridge air filter on my Briggs and Stratton tractor mower, is
continually getting clogged up with oil. The filter is mounted upper most
on the engine. Has anyone any suggestions please, as to why oil would be
blown out of the intake?

there is a crankcase breather to the carb

so either you have overfilled with oil

or piston blow-by is over pressurising the crankcase

Or he's tipped it on the wrong side when cleaning the underside, or has
been mowing the wrong way on a steel slope. This happened to me with a
B&S engined mower.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 9 Sep 2015 15:47:49 +0000 (UTC), Jethro_uk
wrote:

Probably along with all
the nuts and bolts they had left over after a service. You know - the
ones that weren't really needed.

Pocket Bolts.

Nobody knows where they were supposed to go so they put them in their
pocket.

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
Probably along with all
the nuts and bolts they had left over after a service. You know - the
ones that weren't really needed.

Pocket Bolts.

Nobody knows where they were supposed to go so they put them in their
pocket.

The trick is to throw a handful of assorted nuts and bolts into the
container, before starting. Then on re-assembly, you'll know there will
be some left over, and not worry.

--
*Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder...

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 10 Sep 2015 00:17:05 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
wrote:
Probably along with all
the nuts and bolts they had left over after a service. You know - the
ones that weren't really needed.

Pocket Bolts.

Nobody knows where they were supposed to go so they put them in their
pocket.

The trick is to throw a handful of assorted nuts and bolts into the
container, before starting. Then on re-assembly, you'll know there will
be some left over, and not worry.

That sounds similar to the advice given to the frequent flyer who was
worried about the 1 in 5 million odds of there being a bomb on the
flight. In this case, the fact that the odds of there being *two* bombs
on a flight were 25 billion to one against it was suggested "Bring your
own bomb!" :-)

--
Johnny B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 09 Sep 2015 16:25:11 +0100, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

How do I access / clear the crankcase breather please?

Wander over to the B&S website and download the manual for your
engine. At the very least you'll get an exploded parts diagram which
normall gives enough clues as to where a part is and what has to come
off to get at it.

--
Cheers
Dave.