Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Two PIR sensors to actuate one device

Hi.
I'm pretty sure that what I want to do is fine, but might someone with knowledge/experience of such matters please help by confirming?
I want to rig up an outdoor device actuated by PIR sensors. There will only be one device, but I'd like to have it respond to either of two sensors, to get broad area coverage. Is it as simple as wiring both sensor power outputs to the supply terminals of the device? Clearly, the device will only draw the power that it wants to draw, regardless of whether one, other, or both PIRs are activated. However, I'm not 100% sure whether standard outdoor PIRs (e.g. from Toolstation) might be designed such that the output terminals becoming live in the absence of PIR sensor activation would be a problem. This circumstance would occur if only one PIR is activated, since both outputs would be connected via the supply terminals on the device.

Cheers. Terry.