DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Lifting white goods (washing machine) under kitchen work surface (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/381892-lifting-white-goods-washing-machine-under-kitchen-work-surface.html)

Fredxxx August 23rd 15 07:45 PM

Lifting white goods (washing machine) under kitchen work surface

In the past I have used a sack truck, or just opened w/m door and hauled
it out from under a kitchen work-surface as best I can.

The only snag, is that lino, or kitchen covering is sometimes caught,
causing a tear and making the w/m even more difficult to extract.

Is there a better way?

DerbyBorn[_5_] August 23rd 15 07:57 PM

Fredxxx wrote in :

In the past I have used a sack truck, or just opened w/m door and hauled
it out from under a kitchen work-surface as best I can.

The only snag, is that lino, or kitchen covering is sometimes caught,
causing a tear and making the w/m even more difficult to extract.

Is there a better way?

I have a couple of strips of hardboard that I use as skids.

alan_m August 23rd 15 08:14 PM

On 23/08/2015 19:45, Fredxxx wrote:
In the past I have used a sack truck, or just opened w/m door and hauled
it out from under a kitchen work-surface as best I can.

The only snag, is that lino, or kitchen covering is sometimes caught,
causing a tear and making the w/m even more difficult to extract.

Is there a better way?

Raise the front and slide a couple of small planks of wood underneath.

Then slide the appliance on the planks of wood

newshound August 23rd 15 09:04 PM

On 23/08/2015 20:14, alan_m wrote:
On 23/08/2015 19:45, Fredxxx wrote:
In the past I have used a sack truck, or just opened w/m door and hauled
it out from under a kitchen work-surface as best I can.

The only snag, is that lino, or kitchen covering is sometimes caught,
causing a tear and making the w/m even more difficult to extract.

Is there a better way?

Raise the front and slide a couple of small planks of wood underneath.

Then slide the appliance on the planks of wood

I keep a stock of slats taken from "cut-down" wooden venetian blinds for
this. Also useful for other spacing jobs.

Bill Wright[_2_] August 23rd 15 09:18 PM

newshound wrote:
On 23/08/2015 20:14, alan_m wrote:
On 23/08/2015 19:45, Fredxxx wrote:
In the past I have used a sack truck, or just opened w/m door and hauled
it out from under a kitchen work-surface as best I can.

The only snag, is that lino, or kitchen covering is sometimes caught,
causing a tear and making the w/m even more difficult to extract.

Is there a better way?

Raise the front and slide a couple of small planks of wood underneath.

Then slide the appliance on the planks of wood

I keep a stock of slats taken from "cut-down" wooden venetian blinds for
this. Also useful for other spacing jobs.

I keep a double bend sign for this job.

Bill

[email protected] August 23rd 15 09:57 PM

On Sunday, 23 August 2015 19:45:13 UTC+1, Fredxxx wrote:
In the past I have used a sack truck, or just opened w/m door and hauled
it out from under a kitchen work-surface as best I can.
The only snag, is that lino, or kitchen covering is sometimes caught,
causing a tear and making the w/m even more difficult to extract.
Is there a better way?

washing machine pull-out wheels

http://www.amazon.co.uk/kitchen-appl...dp/B005949T5O/

Owain

[email protected] August 23rd 15 10:26 PM

Lifting white goods (washing machine) under kitchen work surface

On Sun, 23 Aug 2015 21:18:16 +0100, Bill Wright
wrote:

newshound wrote:
On 23/08/2015 20:14, alan_m wrote:
On 23/08/2015 19:45, Fredxxx wrote:
In the past I have used a sack truck, or just opened w/m door and hauled
it out from under a kitchen work-surface as best I can.

Is there a better way?

I keep a stock of slats taken from "cut-down" wooden venetian blinds for
this. Also useful for other spacing jobs.

I keep a double bend sign for this job.

Bill

You'll let down my mental image of a hoarding Yorkshireman if it isn't
like this.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/61719529@N07/12459495705

G.Harman

Dave Liquorice[_2_] August 23rd 15 10:39 PM

Lifting white goods (washing machine) under kitchen work surface

On Sun, 23 Aug 2015 19:45:08 +0100, Fredxxx wrote:

The only snag, is that lino, or kitchen covering is sometimes caught,
causing a tear and making the w/m even more difficult to extract.

Is there a better way?

Off cut of carpet with a decent pile, 550 ish wide and 1500 to 2000
mm long. With pile side down, shove as much under the raised machine
as possible, then pull the carpet, pile slides on the lino or WHY and
the machine comes along for the ride on the rough backing of the
carpet.

Or Lidaldi some times have a lever with wheels and little trucks set
you can shove under. Work well on hard surfaces but the point loading
is to high for soft ones.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Fredxxx August 24th 15 01:49 AM

Lifting white goods (washing machine) under kitchen work surface

On 23/08/2015 19:45, Fredxxx wrote:
In the past I have used a sack truck, or just opened w/m door and hauled
it out from under a kitchen work-surface as best I can.

The only snag, is that lino, or kitchen covering is sometimes caught,
causing a tear and making the w/m even more difficult to extract.

Is there a better way?

Thanks guys for the variety of ideas.

Bill Wright[_2_] August 24th 15 03:44 AM

wrote:

newshound wrote:
On 23/08/2015 20:14, alan_m wrote:
On 23/08/2015 19:45, Fredxxx wrote:
In the past I have used a sack truck, or just opened w/m door and hauled
it out from under a kitchen work-surface as best I can.
Is there a better way?

I keep a stock of slats taken from "cut-down" wooden venetian blinds for
this. Also useful for other spacing jobs.

I keep a double bend sign for this job.

Bill

You'll let down my mental image of a hoarding Yorkshireman if it isn't
like this.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/61719529@N07/12459495705

G.Harman

No don't be daft, it's one of those big ones. You know, when they were
aluminium and worth pinching. They're steel now. Actually that
particular one also made a sledge for the kids.

Bill

Tim Watts[_3_] August 24th 15 09:50 AM

On 23/08/15 19:45, Fredxxx wrote:
In the past I have used a sack truck, or just opened w/m door and hauled
it out from under a kitchen work-surface as best I can.

The only snag, is that lino, or kitchen covering is sometimes caught,
causing a tear and making the w/m even more difficult to extract.

Is there a better way?

Yes.

I keep 3 bits of hardboard:

One 60x60cm, the other 2 are 60x20cm

Rock the machine and slide the 60x20cm down the left side under both feet.

Do the same the right side.

All shiny side up.

Put the 60x60 in front. Slide machine out. Once rocked on, it's fairly
easy to slide over hardboard and the height gain in only about 5mm.

You could do any variation on this - I just happened to use the sizes I
had...

Vir Campestris August 24th 15 09:10 PM

Lifting white goods (washing machine) under kitchen work surface

On 23/08/2015 19:45, Fredxxx wrote:
In the past I have used a sack truck, or just opened w/m door and hauled
it out from under a kitchen work-surface as best I can.

The only snag, is that lino, or kitchen covering is sometimes caught,
causing a tear and making the w/m even more difficult to extract.

Is there a better way?

I find they come out quite easily. (you're pulling upwards) A little
washing up liquid as a lubricant gets them in, sometimes I sit on the
floor and push with my feet.

Andy

DerbyBorn[_5_] August 25th 15 11:47 AM

Lifting white goods (washing machine) under kitchen work surface

Vir Campestris wrote in
o.uk:

On 23/08/2015 19:45, Fredxxx wrote:
In the past I have used a sack truck, or just opened w/m door and hauled
it out from under a kitchen work-surface as best I can.

The only snag, is that lino, or kitchen covering is sometimes caught,
causing a tear and making the w/m even more difficult to extract.

Is there a better way?

I find they come out quite easily. (you're pulling upwards) A little
washing up liquid as a lubricant gets them in, sometimes I sit on the
floor and push with my feet.

Andy

Washing up liguid!! Then the machine slides around on its spin cycle. I
believe the feet are deliberately a tacky grade of rubber to prevent them
moving.

Vir Campestris August 25th 15 09:23 PM

Lifting white goods (washing machine) under kitchen work surface

On 25/08/2015 11:47, DerbyBorn wrote:
Vir Campestris wrote in
o.uk:

I find they come out quite easily. (you're pulling upwards) A little
washing up liquid as a lubricant gets them in, sometimes I sit on the
floor and push with my feet.

Andy

Washing up liguid!! Then the machine slides around on its spin cycle. I
believe the feet are deliberately a tacky grade of rubber to prevent them
moving.

Never had a problem. I assume it dries in a day or two.

Andy