Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lifting white goods (washing machine) under kitchen work surface

In the past I have used a sack truck, or just opened w/m door and hauled
it out from under a kitchen work-surface as best I can.

The only snag, is that lino, or kitchen covering is sometimes caught,
causing a tear and making the w/m even more difficult to extract.

Is there a better way?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fredxxx wrote in :

In the past I have used a sack truck, or just opened w/m door and hauled
it out from under a kitchen work-surface as best I can.

The only snag, is that lino, or kitchen covering is sometimes caught,
causing a tear and making the w/m even more difficult to extract.

Is there a better way?

I have a couple of strips of hardboard that I use as skids.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/08/2015 19:45, Fredxxx wrote:
In the past I have used a sack truck, or just opened w/m door and hauled
it out from under a kitchen work-surface as best I can.

The only snag, is that lino, or kitchen covering is sometimes caught,
causing a tear and making the w/m even more difficult to extract.

Is there a better way?

Raise the front and slide a couple of small planks of wood underneath.

Then slide the appliance on the planks of wood

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/08/2015 20:14, alan_m wrote:
On 23/08/2015 19:45, Fredxxx wrote:
In the past I have used a sack truck, or just opened w/m door and hauled
it out from under a kitchen work-surface as best I can.

The only snag, is that lino, or kitchen covering is sometimes caught,
causing a tear and making the w/m even more difficult to extract.

Is there a better way?

Raise the front and slide a couple of small planks of wood underneath.

Then slide the appliance on the planks of wood

I keep a stock of slats taken from "cut-down" wooden venetian blinds for
this. Also useful for other spacing jobs.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote:
On 23/08/2015 20:14, alan_m wrote:
On 23/08/2015 19:45, Fredxxx wrote:
In the past I have used a sack truck, or just opened w/m door and hauled
it out from under a kitchen work-surface as best I can.

The only snag, is that lino, or kitchen covering is sometimes caught,
causing a tear and making the w/m even more difficult to extract.

Is there a better way?

Raise the front and slide a couple of small planks of wood underneath.

Then slide the appliance on the planks of wood

I keep a stock of slats taken from "cut-down" wooden venetian blinds for
this. Also useful for other spacing jobs.

I keep a double bend sign for this job.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 23 August 2015 19:45:13 UTC+1, Fredxxx wrote:
In the past I have used a sack truck, or just opened w/m door and hauled
it out from under a kitchen work-surface as best I can.
The only snag, is that lino, or kitchen covering is sometimes caught,
causing a tear and making the w/m even more difficult to extract.
Is there a better way?

washing machine pull-out wheels

http://www.amazon.co.uk/kitchen-appl...dp/B005949T5O/

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 23 Aug 2015 21:18:16 +0100, Bill Wright
wrote:

newshound wrote:
On 23/08/2015 20:14, alan_m wrote:
On 23/08/2015 19:45, Fredxxx wrote:
In the past I have used a sack truck, or just opened w/m door and hauled
it out from under a kitchen work-surface as best I can.

Is there a better way?

I keep a stock of slats taken from "cut-down" wooden venetian blinds for
this. Also useful for other spacing jobs.

I keep a double bend sign for this job.

Bill

You'll let down my mental image of a hoarding Yorkshireman if it isn't
like this.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/61719529@N07/12459495705

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 23 Aug 2015 19:45:08 +0100, Fredxxx wrote:

The only snag, is that lino, or kitchen covering is sometimes caught,
causing a tear and making the w/m even more difficult to extract.

Is there a better way?

Off cut of carpet with a decent pile, 550 ish wide and 1500 to 2000
mm long. With pile side down, shove as much under the raised machine
as possible, then pull the carpet, pile slides on the lino or WHY and
the machine comes along for the ride on the rough backing of the
carpet.

Or Lidaldi some times have a lever with wheels and little trucks set
you can shove under. Work well on hard surfaces but the point loading
is to high for soft ones.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/08/2015 19:45, Fredxxx wrote:
In the past I have used a sack truck, or just opened w/m door and hauled
it out from under a kitchen work-surface as best I can.

The only snag, is that lino, or kitchen covering is sometimes caught,
causing a tear and making the w/m even more difficult to extract.

Is there a better way?

Thanks guys for the variety of ideas.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/08/15 19:45, Fredxxx wrote:
In the past I have used a sack truck, or just opened w/m door and hauled
it out from under a kitchen work-surface as best I can.

The only snag, is that lino, or kitchen covering is sometimes caught,
causing a tear and making the w/m even more difficult to extract.

Is there a better way?

Yes.

I keep 3 bits of hardboard:

One 60x60cm, the other 2 are 60x20cm

Rock the machine and slide the 60x20cm down the left side under both feet.

Do the same the right side.

All shiny side up.

Put the 60x60 in front. Slide machine out. Once rocked on, it's fairly
easy to slide over hardboard and the height gain in only about 5mm.

You could do any variation on this - I just happened to use the sizes I
had...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/08/2015 19:45, Fredxxx wrote:
In the past I have used a sack truck, or just opened w/m door and hauled
it out from under a kitchen work-surface as best I can.

The only snag, is that lino, or kitchen covering is sometimes caught,
causing a tear and making the w/m even more difficult to extract.

Is there a better way?

I find they come out quite easily. (you're pulling upwards) A little
washing up liquid as a lubricant gets them in, sometimes I sit on the
floor and push with my feet.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Vir Campestris wrote in
o.uk:

On 23/08/2015 19:45, Fredxxx wrote:
In the past I have used a sack truck, or just opened w/m door and hauled
it out from under a kitchen work-surface as best I can.

The only snag, is that lino, or kitchen covering is sometimes caught,
causing a tear and making the w/m even more difficult to extract.

Is there a better way?

I find they come out quite easily. (you're pulling upwards) A little
washing up liquid as a lubricant gets them in, sometimes I sit on the
floor and push with my feet.

Andy

Washing up liguid!! Then the machine slides around on its spin cycle. I
believe the feet are deliberately a tacky grade of rubber to prevent them
moving.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/08/2015 11:47, DerbyBorn wrote:
Vir Campestris wrote in
o.uk:

I find they come out quite easily. (you're pulling upwards) A little
washing up liquid as a lubricant gets them in, sometimes I sit on the
floor and push with my feet.

Andy

Washing up liguid!! Then the machine slides around on its spin cycle. I
believe the feet are deliberately a tacky grade of rubber to prevent them
moving.

Never had a problem. I assume it dries in a day or two.

Andy