Posted to uk.d-i-y
jkn jkn is offline

Default how to repair broken glass in this Aluminium door?

Hi all
due to a 'domestic incident' one pane of glass in our front door has smashed.
It's an old aluminium door with (I think) double glazed glass. I know it can be
repaired as following a similar incident some years ago I got a man to do it;
I wasn't around to watch and this time I'd like to have a try myself.

I have fitted a DG uPVC window myself before but am unsure of the construction
of doors like this. I've uploaded some pictures he

http://i59.tinypic.com/igyero.jpg
http://i57.tinypic.com/zwewp.jpg
http://i58.tinypic.com/qmywoy.jpg
http://i58.tinypic.com/qmywoy.jpg
http://i62.tinypic.com/15h0irn.jpg
http://i59.tinypic.com/e61y81.jpg

Do the 'chamfered' edges lever out like uPBC edges? what is the thickness of the
DG panel (if that is what it is) likely to be? Will I be able to just take the
measurements and get a new panel maed (hopefully on the spot)? Any pointers to
resources for doing this sort of thing?

Thanks for any advise

Jon N
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/08/2015 23:22, jkn wrote:
[...]

I thought doors like this are bolted/screwed together, rather than
anything snapping into place like a uPVC door.

Have a look on the side around the bottom, top and middle spars, to see
if there are holes or grommets hiding holes you can get a screwdriver in.

BICBW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/08/15 23:30, Fredxxx wrote:

I thought doors like this are bolted/screwed together, rather than
anything snapping into place like a uPVC door.

They can be - or the other option is:

Does that inner rubber bead pull out? If so, that will let the glass
move back and then the OP may find that the outer beading (metal angle
strips) tilt then come out. That's how my ali windows work.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/08/2015 08:27, Tim Watts wrote:
On 19/08/15 23:30, Fredxxx wrote:

I thought doors like this are bolted/screwed together, rather than
anything snapping into place like a uPVC door.

They can be - or the other option is:

Does that inner rubber bead pull out? If so, that will let the glass
move back and then the OP may find that the outer beading (metal angle
strips) tilt then come out. That's how my ali windows work.

Sourcing the odds and ends is the bugger. That's partly why I'd get the
man back.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/08/2015 23:22, jkn wrote:
[...]

It looks as though glass is in the bottom half of the door in which case
it should be toughened and you won't get that made while you wait.

I've only replaced units in wood or uPVC frames so can't offer any
advice on the aluminium methodology.

Peter

Posted to uk.d-i-y
jkn jkn is offline

Hi Peter

On Thursday, 20 August 2015 10:16:35 UTC+1, Peter Andrews wrote:
On 19/08/2015 23:22, jkn wrote:
[...]

Ah yes, good point, I had forgotten about that. IIRC the upper pane was replaced with toughened when that got broken...

Thanks for the other observations. I will take a look at what removing the
rubber seal does, but might have to ring around...

Cheers
Jon N