Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Sewing machine problem

OK chaps and honourary chaps, here's a question about DIY sewing. SWMBO
is trying to sew buttonholes using a buttonhole attachment on a Singer
Talent sewing maching. The thing goes through the process of zigzag
stitching down one side and back up the other but the zigs (or zags?)
are more widely spaced on one side than t'other. I can't find a user
adjustment anywhere so am wondering whether it's an internal set-up
issue or a technique issue. Are there any sewing machin experts out there?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 11 Aug 2015 21:29:13 +0100, no_spam wrote:

OK chaps and honourary chaps, here's a question about DIY sewing. SWMBO
is trying to sew buttonholes using a buttonhole attachment on a Singer
Talent sewing maching. The thing goes through the process of zigzag
stitching down one side and back up the other but the zigs (or zags?)
are more widely spaced on one side than t'other. I can't find a user
adjustment anywhere so am wondering whether it's an internal set-up
issue or a technique issue. Are there any sewing machin experts out
there?

The fabric is thicker on one side (near the edge?) and feeding at a
different speed?

Also check bobbin tension and feed tension are the same (although I can't
quite see why that would affect it).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/08/2015 21:36, Bob Eager wrote:
On Tue, 11 Aug 2015 21:29:13 +0100, no_spam wrote:

OK chaps and honourary chaps, here's a question about DIY sewing. SWMBO
is trying to sew buttonholes using a buttonhole attachment on a Singer
Talent sewing maching. The thing goes through the process of zigzag
stitching down one side and back up the other but the zigs (or zags?)
are more widely spaced on one side than t'other. I can't find a user
adjustment anywhere so am wondering whether it's an internal set-up
issue or a technique issue. Are there any sewing machin experts out
there?

The fabric is thicker on one side (near the edge?) and feeding at a
different speed?

Also check bobbin tension and feed tension are the same (although I can't
quite see why that would affect it).

The tensions all seem to be OK (or so I'm told!) and the fabric
thickness is uniform (the slit is cut after the edging is finished) BUT
a suggestion to control the digital right foot and to sew at a lower
speed seems to have helped significantly so it may be technique (lack
thereof). Experiments continue.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 11 August 2015 21:29:16 UTC+1, wrote:
OK chaps and honourary chaps, here's a question about DIY sewing. SWMBO
is trying to sew buttonholes using a buttonhole attachment on a Singer
Talent sewing maching. The thing goes through the process of zigzag
stitching down one side and back up the other but the zigs (or zags?)
are more widely spaced on one side than t'other. I can't find a user
adjustment anywhere so am wondering whether it's an internal set-up
issue or a technique issue. Are there any sewing machin experts out there?

Rate of advance depends on finger pressure on the cloth, among other things. Usually one can adjust feedrate this way.

NT