Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

Default Moss V pool chemicals

Just reading in previous post about Pool chemical to keep algae away.
Could this be used to treat paving slabs of moss. It is not moss that
is evident but more a green colour (early stages) to the paving slabs
(shaded area) no doubt if left alone moss the will grow and become more
evident.
I generally use diluted bleach a couple of times a year which does help
but I need a couple of gallon at a time. So looking if there is a
cheaper alternative.
Cant use iron sulphate as this would stain the slabs.

Ideas
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/08/2015 19:25, ss wrote:
Just reading in previous post about Pool chemical to keep algae away.
Could this be used to treat paving slabs of moss. It is not moss that
is evident but more a green colour (early stages) to the paving slabs
(shaded area) no doubt if left alone moss the will grow and become more
evident.
I generally use diluted bleach a couple of times a year which does help
but I need a couple of gallon at a time. So looking if there is a
cheaper alternative.
Cant use iron sulphate as this would stain the slabs.

Ideas

That is what I do, but use the supermarkets cheapest bleach. I mix it
wit some water, and then spray on the drive with a watering can. That
generally does the job, but if there are any stubborn bits of moss, I
then use a proprietary brand like Paragon or similar.

After that its just a matter of going over it with a pointed tool and
raking out the dead stuff.

The bleach also keeps block paving looking clean as well!
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 2015-08-06, wrote:
Just reading in previous post about Pool chemical to keep algae away.
Could this be used to treat paving slabs of moss. It is not moss that
is evident but more a green colour (early stages) to the paving slabs
(shaded area) no doubt if left alone moss the will grow and become more
evident.
I generally use diluted bleach a couple of times a year which does help
but I need a couple of gallon at a time. So looking if there is a
cheaper alternative.

Bucket of water.
Cup of bleach.
Cup of caustic soda.
Cup of strong detergent.

Sorted. The moss in my gravel drive died within minutes and never returned.

Thanks that sounds good to me.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2015-08-06, ss wrote:
Just reading in previous post about Pool chemical to keep algae away.
Could this be used to treat paving slabs of moss. It is not moss that
is evident but more a green colour (early stages) to the paving slabs
(shaded area) no doubt if left alone moss the will grow and become more
evident.
I generally use diluted bleach a couple of times a year which does help
but I need a couple of gallon at a time. So looking if there is a
cheaper alternative.

Bucket of water.
Cup of bleach.
Cup of caustic soda.
Cup of strong detergent.

Sorted. The moss in my gravel drive died within minutes and never returned.

Wow, that's a better way than how I do it, thanks. I'll be doing the
same thing from now on.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2015-08-06, ss wrote:
Just reading in previous post about Pool chemical to keep algae away.
Could this be used to treat paving slabs of moss. It is not moss that
is evident but more a green colour (early stages) to the paving slabs
(shaded area) no doubt if left alone moss the will grow and become more
evident.
I generally use diluted bleach a couple of times a year which does help
but I need a couple of gallon at a time. So looking if there is a
cheaper alternative.

Bucket of water.
Cup of bleach.
Cup of caustic soda.
Cup of strong detergent.

Sorted. The moss in my gravel drive died within minutes and never returned.

Wow, that's a better way than how I do it, thanks. I'll be doing the
same thing from now on.

Cold water bleach mixed with water and a bottle of vinegar added. Works a treat for me. Ignore the ignorant ramblings of the self professed chemist who claimed the sugar in the vinegar would feed the moss. Vinegar is an acid. On its own it can be used as a weed killer though I haven't tried it. We wash down the window surrounds on a boat with it to keep the moss at bay.

Caustic soda sounds good but mind your feet.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 09/08/2015 12:10, fred wrote:
Caustic soda sounds good but mind your feet

And eyes when mixing! Wear goggles.