Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Hidden wall plate? Or none?

I'm building a carport thing at the back and off to one side ofthe house. It's self supporting, basically two long beams on legs with rafters between them, then it's getting a 16mm uPVC roof on top.

The problem is that I've extended it 18" past the side of the house, to make it 'look right'. This leaves me with one rafter that meets the lower beam the same as all the others, but the high end will meet a brick wall instead of the higher beam. This rafter won't be taking much load at all, it's basically cosmetic.

I need a way to attach the high end to the wall. Usually I'd have either a wall plate or a joist hanger there, but this one will be highly visible and I'd like to get that 'it just carries on into the wall' look.

Can I just firmly fix the birdsmouth at the other end to stop it sliding outwards, then attach the top end straight into the wall with a few long multifix screws? Or if not, what would you all suggest?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 26 July 2015 14:56:49 UTC+1, PC Paul wrote:
I need a way to attach the high end to the wall. Usually I'd have either
a wall plate or a joist hanger there, but this one will be highly visible
and I'd like to get that 'it just carries on into the wall' look.

The obvious answer then is to cut out the brickwork and carry the rafter into the wall like they did in olden days

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 26 July 2015 15:38:49 UTC+1, wrote:
On Sunday, 26 July 2015 14:56:49 UTC+1, PC Paul wrote:
I need a way to attach the high end to the wall. Usually I'd have either
a wall plate or a joist hanger there, but this one will be highly visible
and I'd like to get that 'it just carries on into the wall' look.

The obvious answer then is to cut out the brickwork and carry the rafter into the wall like they did in olden days

Owain

I'd prefer not to disturb the brickwork just for this - like I said, this bit will be very visible so I don't really want to have new mortar or any cut bricks in there.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , PC Paul
wrote:
On Sunday, 26 July 2015 15:38:49 UTC+1, wrote:
On Sunday, 26 July 2015 14:56:49 UTC+1, PC Paul wrote:
I need a way to attach the high end to the wall. Usually I'd have
either a wall plate or a joist hanger there, but this one will be
highly visible and I'd like to get that 'it just carries on into the
wall' look.

The obvious answer then is to cut out the brickwork and carry the
rafter into the wall like they did in olden days

Owain

I'd prefer not to disturb the brickwork just for this - like I said, this
bit will be very visible so I don't really want to have new mortar or any
cut bricks in there.

How about a "peg" welded onto a plate which you screw to the wall. Drill a
hole in the beam to accept the peg and, obviously, make the plate small
enought to be hidden by the beam.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/07/2015 17:01, Charles Hope wrote:
In , PC Paul
wrote:
On Sunday, 26 July 2015 15:38:49 UTC+1, wrote:
On Sunday, 26 July 2015 14:56:49 UTC+1, PC Paul wrote:
I need a way to attach the high end to the wall. Usually I'd have
either a wall plate or a joist hanger there, but this one will be
highly visible and I'd like to get that 'it just carries on into the
wall' look.

The obvious answer then is to cut out the brickwork and carry the
rafter into the wall like they did in olden days

Owain

I'd prefer not to disturb the brickwork just for this - like I said, this
bit will be very visible so I don't really want to have new mortar or any
cut bricks in there.

How about a "peg" welded onto a plate which you screw to the wall. Drill a
hole in the beam to accept the peg and, obviously, make the plate small
enought to be hidden by the beam.

I was thinking along similar lines, of using some sort of concealed
shelf fixing to fix the beam to the wall.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I think I'm going for this sort of solution. I have some 10mm stainless studding so I'll drill a hole then goop it into the wall and the rafter with some suitably goopy glue.

There should be very little spreading force on this rafter so I'm happy with that.

Thanks all.

Wall plate replacement David UK diy 17 October 5th 12 10:51 AM
Wall plate onto brick - how? Tim S UK diy 4 October 4th 08 06:26 PM
fixing wall plate SoWeezy UK diy 13 June 1st 06 12:26 AM
Fixing a wall plate on a dense concrete block wall Jas Virdee UK diy 5 July 28th 04 09:00 AM
Too many holes in the wall top plate? B Home Repair 2 August 8th 03 07:48 PM