Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default is a gravity grille OK for boiler ventilation

Hi,

I am going to fit a vent in a door to increase the ventilation of my gas
boiler.

Will a gravity grille be OK?

I know a grille that's fastenable shut wouldn't be OK. But how about one
like this that blows open when needed and can't (short of putting sellotape
over it) be stopped from doing so?

Thanks!

Harry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harold Davis wrote:

I am going to fit a vent in a door to increase the ventilation of my gas
boiler.

Does it need additional ventilation, is it a balanced flue?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote in
o.uk:

Harold Davis wrote:

I am going to fit a vent in a door to increase the ventilation of my gas
boiler.

Does it need additional ventilation, is it a balanced flue?

The service guy told me that the air brick up by the ceiling isn't enough
and that there has to be 300mm^2 top and bottom. The only reasonable place
to put a vent on that wall is in the door.

The boiler has got a conventional flue.

Harry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harold Davis wrote in
:

Andy Burns wrote in
o.uk:

Harold Davis wrote:

I am going to fit a vent in a door to increase the ventilation of my
gas boiler.

Does it need additional ventilation, is it a balanced flue?

The service guy told me that the air brick up by the ceiling isn't
enough and that there has to be 300mm^2 top and bottom.

I mean 3000mm^2!

Harry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Harold Davis
wrote:
Andy Burns wrote in
o.uk:

Harold Davis wrote:

I am going to fit a vent in a door to increase the ventilation of my
gas boiler.

Does it need additional ventilation, is it a balanced flue?

The service guy told me that the air brick up by the ceiling isn't enough
and that there has to be 300mm^2 top and bottom. The only reasonable
place to put a vent on that wall is in the door.

The boiler has got a conventional flue.

I have an air brick in the outer wall at the level of the kicking board
under the sink/cupboard units. Then there's a gap in the continuous plinth.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 23 July 2015 11:13:47 UTC+1, Harold Davis wrote:
I am going to fit a vent in a door to increase the ventilation of my gas
boiler.

Will a gravity grille be OK?

I don't think so. A gas vent must be unobstructed.

A flap vent would (presumably) only vent into the room, but any products of combustion blown back down the flue could accummulate in the room. With an unobstructed vent they could vent outward and not build up in the room.

IANACorgi :-)

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harold Davis wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Harold Davis wrote:

I am going to fit a vent in a door to increase the ventilation of my gas
boiler.

Does it need additional ventilation, is it a balanced flue?

The service guy told me that the air brick up by the ceiling isn't enough
and that there has to be 300mm^2 top and bottom. The only reasonable place
to put a vent on that wall is in the door.

The boiler has got a conventional flue.

I'd have thought it would have to be permanently clear, besides wouldn't
most of the gravity type operate the wrong way round, for exhaust rather
than intake?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harold Davis wrote:
Andy Burns wrote in
o.uk:

Harold Davis wrote:

I am going to fit a vent in a door to increase the ventilation of my gas
boiler.

Does it need additional ventilation, is it a balanced flue?

The service guy told me that the air brick up by the ceiling isn't enough
and that there has to be 300mm^2 top and bottom. The only reasonable place
to put a vent on that wall is in the door.

The boiler has got a conventional flue.

Harry

How about better/bigger air bricks?

http://www.vent-axia.com/range/low-r...ir-bricks.html

boiler ventilation Fred UK diy 10 November 23rd 10 10:40 AM
Back boiler ventilation ron UK diy 6 July 23rd 06 07:03 PM
cms sq versus sq cms - CH boiler ventilation DavidM UK diy 14 August 7th 05 02:44 PM
Gravity>>Combi boiler s--p--o--n--i--x UK diy 5 February 2nd 05 08:58 AM
BAXI boiler - semi gravity to fully pumped Ian C UK diy 0 August 27th 03 04:17 PM