Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Storm drains/sewers

Not exactly DIY but should anyone happen to know. In coastal areas the
road gully drain system seems to be outputted to the sea via flap-valve
outlets. Assuming no breakages in the system is there any reason for
that road-gully system to be also connected to residential sewer system?
I'm aware that house-roof rainwater downpipes may be connected to the
sewer system or to soak-aways.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/07/2015 07:46, N_Cook wrote:
Not exactly DIY but should anyone happen to know. In coastal areas the
road gully drain system seems to be outputted to the sea via flap-valve
outlets. Assuming no breakages in the system is there any reason for
that road-gully system to be also connected to residential sewer system?
I'm aware that house-roof rainwater downpipes may be connected to the
sewer system or to soak-aways.

Flap valve outlets tend to be used where flooding is likely. Most
domestic rainwater systems don't need them.

The issue is the volume of water in a flash storm and where the local
treatment place can cope. Best to keep them separate.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/07/2015 08:06, Fredxxx wrote:
On 23/07/2015 07:46, N_Cook wrote:
Not exactly DIY but should anyone happen to know. In coastal areas the
road gully drain system seems to be outputted to the sea via flap-valve
outlets. Assuming no breakages in the system is there any reason for
that road-gully system to be also connected to residential sewer system?
I'm aware that house-roof rainwater downpipes may be connected to the
sewer system or to soak-aways.

Flap valve outlets tend to be used where flooding is likely. Most
domestic rainwater systems don't need them.

The issue is the volume of water in a flash storm and where the local
treatment place can cope. Best to keep them separate.

From a recent CCTV survey, the gully system is only 100mm pipe so I
doubt it can cope with a cloudburst. The outlets to sea are 300mm
diameter though.
As far as it goes, no apparent interconnect to the domestic system, for
anyone interested , CCTV survey and plans etc off
http://itchentides.org.uk/st-denys-flood-risk-report/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/07/2015 08:24, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Thu, 23 Jul 2015 07:46:33 +0100, N_Cook wrote:

Not exactly DIY but should anyone happen to know. In coastal areas the
road gully drain system seems to be outputted to the sea via flap-valve
outlets. Assuming no breakages in the system is there any reason for
that road-gully system to be also connected to residential sewer system?
I'm aware that house-roof rainwater downpipes may be connected to the
sewer system or to soak-aways.

AIUI the usual practice is to keep storm water and sewage separate,
but in many places they are combined, for example, in parts of
Cornwall, but I don't know how widespread it is elsewhere. This can
lead to problems at periods of very high rainfall when the sewage
system can't cope, and overflows into local rivers by design, carrying
with it raw untreated sewage which then ends up on beaches etc. Not
nice if you put your foot on a turd on the beach, or meet one floating
in front of you face while swimming.

http://tinyurl.com/ocvg6hn
http://tinyurl.com/ndne2wm
http://tinyurl.com/ogycwdv

Interesting - combined sewers is not a term I'd come across. It looks as
though the tell-tale of a combined system outfall is condoms, sanitry
towels etc coming out of the outfalls. No one has ever reported seeing
such foul sewer stuff lingering at the local outfalls after a sea storm
surge or a cloudburst over the local roads. So presumably good news
there. Just as well as the nearest local sea outfall flap is jammed open
a cm or 2 at the moment
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"N_Cook" wrote in message
Not exactly DIY but should anyone happen to know. In coastal areas the
road gully drain system seems to be outputted to the sea via flap-valve
outlets. Assuming no breakages in the system is there any reason for that
road-gully system to be also connected to residential sewer system?

No.

I'm aware that house-roof rainwater downpipes may be connected to the
sewer system or to soak-aways.

In quite a few jurisdictions the house roof rainwater
downpipes are not allowed to be connected to the
sewer and have to be either delivered to the street
gutters at the kerb or if that isn't possible to soakaways.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"N_Cook" wrote in message
On 23/07/2015 08:06, Fredxxx wrote:
On 23/07/2015 07:46, N_Cook wrote:
Not exactly DIY but should anyone happen to know. In coastal areas the
road gully drain system seems to be outputted to the sea via flap-valve
outlets. Assuming no breakages in the system is there any reason for
that road-gully system to be also connected to residential sewer system?
I'm aware that house-roof rainwater downpipes may be connected to the
sewer system or to soak-aways.

Flap valve outlets tend to be used where flooding is likely. Most
domestic rainwater systems don't need them.

The issue is the volume of water in a flash storm and where the local
treatment place can cope. Best to keep them separate.

From a recent CCTV survey, the gully system is only 100mm pipe so I doubt
it can cope with a cloudburst. The outlets to sea are 300mm diameter
though.

Some of ours are much bigger than that and I know that
because as a kid we used to zoom around in them on our
billy carts in a new subdivision that was just being built.

As far as it goes, no apparent interconnect to the domestic system, for
anyone interested , CCTV survey and plans etc off
http://itchentides.org.uk/st-denys-flood-risk-report/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/07/2015 08:06, Fredxxx wrote:
On 23/07/2015 07:46, N_Cook wrote:
Not exactly DIY but should anyone happen to know. In coastal areas the
road gully drain system seems to be outputted to the sea via flap-valve
outlets. Assuming no breakages in the system is there any reason for
that road-gully system to be also connected to residential sewer system?
I'm aware that house-roof rainwater downpipes may be connected to the
sewer system or to soak-aways.

Flap valve outlets tend to be used where flooding is likely. Most
domestic rainwater systems don't need them.

The issue is the volume of water in a flash storm and where the local
treatment place can cope. Best to keep them separate.

Dumping surface water straight into the sea, via flap valves, is quite
common in coastal areas, even if there is no risk of flooding.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/07/2015 07:46, N_Cook wrote:
Not exactly DIY but should anyone happen to know. In coastal areas the
road gully drain system seems to be outputted to the sea via flap-valve
outlets. Assuming no breakages in the system is there any reason for
that road-gully system to be also connected to residential sewer system?
I'm aware that house-roof rainwater downpipes may be connected to the
sewer system or to soak-aways.

For at least half a century, all new builds have had separate storm
drains and foul sewers - although they are still combined on older
properties.

My belief is that the practice of dumping raw sewage straight into the
sea has long been discontinued - so anything going in to the sea now
should only be storm water.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 23 Jul 2015 07:46:33 +0100, N_Cook wrote:

I'm aware that house-roof rainwater downpipes may be connected to the
sewer system or to soak-aways.

Yep and if connected to the foul water system the water company may
well be charging you for the privalidge. Not sure how many hoops
you'd need to jump through if you altered the drainage so surface
water went to a soak away.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Mills wrote:
My belief is that the practice of dumping raw sewage straight into the
sea has long been discontinued - so anything going in to the sea now
should only be storm water.

I think you mean "as a matter of course". There is still discharge of
raw sewage when combined systems can't cope with rainfall. That's why
eg Thames Water want to spend a bob or 2 on the Thames Tideway Tunnel

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thames_Tideway_Scheme

--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Roger Mills wrote:
On 23/07/2015 07:46, N_Cook wrote:
Not exactly DIY but should anyone happen to know. In coastal areas the
road gully drain system seems to be outputted to the sea via flap-valve
outlets. Assuming no breakages in the system is there any reason for
that road-gully system to be also connected to residential sewer system?
I'm aware that house-roof rainwater downpipes may be connected to the
sewer system or to soak-aways.

For at least half a century, all new builds have had separate storm
drains and foul sewers - although they are still combined on older
properties.

My belief is that the practice of dumping raw sewage straight into the
sea has long been discontinued - so anything going in to the sea now
should only be storm water.

unless there is an excess of rainwater caused by a storm which causes a
sewage works to overflow.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well it depends. I seem to recall many moons ago when Bognor decided to use
a proper sewage plant, lots of drains needed to be rerouted but the roads
were still left feeding into the sea. Its been a long while since then of
course, but hopefully this is the way its now done in most places where the
pipe is terminated just off shore.

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active

OT Greek Sewers DerbyBorn[_5_] UK diy 13 March 21st 15 04:45 PM
Drains & sewers transfer (was: "Letter from water co" Another John UK diy 5 July 19th 11 01:03 PM
Sump pumps, storm drain, french drains and flooding Robert Green Home Repair 64 April 12th 11 03:33 PM
Building over sewers Roger Mills UK diy 1 July 6th 06 12:03 AM